PDA

View Full Version : Paying someone to fillet your catch

No Fear
30-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey All,

I may actually jinx myself and never catch another fish after this thread, but anyway here goes.....

Does anyone know where or who fillets and skins your catch of fish in Brissie, or the Sunny Coast for that matter...

The last few trips having to stand at the filleting table after over a day on the water can get really annoying.

If anyone knows anywhere and an approximate cost, the info would be appreciated

Cheers

murf
30-09-2010, 05:07 PM
take a good deckie fishing ;)

cheers Murf

ffejsmada
30-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey All,

I may actually jinx myself and never catch another fish after this thread, but anyway here goes.....

Does anyone know where or who fillets and skins your catch of fish in Brissie, or the Sunny Coast for that matter...

The last few trips having to stand at the filleting table after over a day on the water can get really annoying.

Cheers

Jesus, I've read it all now!:o

Unbelievable!

Fish_gutz
30-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Give it away champ..... fishing that is....... take up flying kites or something , no extra work after a good day out involved there just wind it in.
now being serious , why not leave them on ice till the next day then fillet them? wont hurt the fish.

Apollo
30-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Actually saw ads posted up around 1770 offering this exact service when we were there a month ago.

No help on the sunny coast or Brisbane.

fishfeeder
30-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Take me fishing and I will clean my share and then yours, while you wash the boat, now thats a crappy job !!

You said you like to bake your Fish whole, didn't you !!!!

Fishfeeder

indy
30-09-2010, 06:20 PM
my deckie's clean the fish and i wash the boat usually works out well, i like to clean the boat as i want to no its done right and just let then go to town on the fish.

finga
30-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Don't go fish for as long or catch fewer fish.
Fewer fish in the esky means less cleaning.

Barry Ehsman
30-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Jesus, I've read it all now!:o

Unbelievable!

mate i agree::) i love cleaning the catch

trymyluck
30-09-2010, 06:48 PM
take a good deckie fishing ;)

cheers Murf

They whinge too much..............;D

Apollo
30-09-2010, 07:27 PM
They whinge too much..............;D

When was the last time you picked up a fillet knife?????? Even then it was probably only to hand it to me.:-?

BGG
30-09-2010, 07:44 PM
$50 a fillet. You deliver and pick up. I'm in.

robersl
30-09-2010, 07:45 PM
When was the last time you picked up a fillet knife?????? Even then it was probably only to hand it to me.:-?

steve i thought that was a handle sticking out of your back but maybe mark just passed you the knife:P

BGG
30-09-2010, 07:48 PM
By the way. Guaranteed no bones.

trymyluck
30-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Now what did I say????????????::);D

No Fear
30-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Well I knew it was start half a ruckus but I thought out of all of it I would find somewhere that actually done such a thing...

Its not only about the time and energy to fillet, its the quality of my filletting.....i'm not hopeless but I'm know superstar either...

Fishgutz - I'm normally fishing all weekend and back late Sundays either from the Sunny coast or 1770 so they come back on ice most times, its just I may not get a chance during the week with work!

BGG - thanks for the offer - probably take it up if I win the lottery tomorrow night.

Well thanks anyway - someone may pop up with some useful information. Until then, its 2 hours at the table! Thanks for the tip Apollo, I will have a look out for the one at 1770 next trip.

Fish_gutz
30-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I know where your coming from and have done the big weekends away only to get out after two hour drives and start filleting and bagging up. good luck and hope you find someone who loves a good fillet job for little or no payment.

STUIE63
30-09-2010, 09:15 PM
there has to be an opportunity for someones kid to earn a bit of cash here surely. gotta beat mowing lawns

wags on the water
30-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I taught myself to fillet fish after quite some time - Just ask Timiboy about filletting fish?????...... When I started catching (after coutless hours/days of just boating) I used to scale and gut them for fear of messing up the fillets and ruining the fish.

No Fear, mate if I was available,(sorry out west for work until xmas),I'd help you out with your situation. Just a simple 'Thanks mate' would suffice in helping a fellow fisher.

I hope someone can help you out soon.

Regards,
Wags

No Fear
30-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Wags, Appreciate the offer.....

I guess the only solution is the keep catching fish and get better and faster...
Have to upgrade the knife as well mine is starting to get blunt..

Anyone reccommend a good filletting knife?

murf
30-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Anyone reccommend a good filletting knife?

mine ;) haha

cheers Murf

wags on the water
30-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Swibo or Victorinox

revs57
30-09-2010, 10:39 PM
There is no substitute for a sharp knife regardless of the brand, I use $5.00 knives and $50.00 knives - usually have three going at once, a ten inch blade, eight inch blade and a 6inch blade - usually work each of them up with a coarse stone, fine stone, diamond steel then smooth steel to harden the edge - it makes the filleting easy

Aussie123
30-09-2010, 10:43 PM
I dont mind helping you out of you need any fish cleaned.
You might lose a nice fillet though ;););)
I am just over in Kingston so not too far away.
Lance

Fish_gutz
30-09-2010, 10:45 PM
swibo or tramontina, it`s the keeping them sharp that's important not the brand.

Argle
01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Jump onto the Coastwatch website, some really good old videos on there will give you the tips on filleting as well as how to sharpen your knives too.

Cheers
Scott

lethal098
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
I am surprised no one has offered, I dont mind doing it for something in return? Maybe bait supply or something similar! I am at Kallangur. Feel free to PM me if anyone is interested.

I bought home 60kg of fish from a trip last weekend betweeen me and 3 so called mates and spent a couple hours sunday doing all of them. Got no thanks from any of them! Al beit they dont fish all that often but a cold 6 pack would have been nice at the end of it. Well never again for those guys.

cheers Lee

hakuna
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Now the trick is to grow and train your own.
I had 2 boys, trained them for a few years, now when I get home, 1 fillets and cleans, the other washes the boat
Me, well I have a beer

cheers

ShaneC
01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Maybe slyly have a chat to one of the filleters from Morgan's or something. They are down there all the time, and easily enough to approach in the filleting area. From the blokes that I know down there I am sure there is more than one who wouldn't mind a bit of cash in hand for a couple of hours swinging a knife. Just a thought...

Silent
01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
maybe you need a new fish fillet machine at your home...;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19p3JanjYZE&NR=1

charleville
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Against all of the sentiments by the people who are ridiculing the original poster, I have to say that whilst I would never pay anyone to fillet my fish, it is not a chore that I look forward to after a fishing session, either. Indeed, it is rare that I would fillet the fish on the same day because I am often too buggered after a trip.

My wife usually offers to do it for me but I reckon that as I am the one who got the enjoyment out of catching them, I should be the one who does the yucky stuff also.

I have a good fish cleaning table but it is still a chore when you catch a few and cleaning something like a big jew is like dressing a sheep.

http://img.skitch.com/20101001-kfgddkbj9qhpq8rud2e3y6rs7k.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/charleville2/nrphc/skitched-327)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/charleville2/nrphc/skitched-327) - Uploaded with Skitch (http://skitch.com)

FishHunter
01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Wait till you have paddled 15 or 20km in a kayak and then have a few fish to fillet when you get home. Needless to say they dont get done the same day

murf
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Against all of the sentiments by the people who are ridiculing the original poster, I have to say that whilst I would never pay anyone to fillet my fish, it is not a chore that I look forward to after a fishing session, either. Indeed, it is rare that I would fillet the fish on the same day because I am often too buggered after a trip.

My wife usually offers to do it for me but I reckon that as I am the one who got the enjoyment out of catching them, I should be the one who does the yucky stuff also.

I have a good fish cleaning table but it is still a chore when you catch a few and cleaning something like a big jew is like dressing a sheep.

http://img.skitch.com/20101001-kfgddkbj9qhpq8rud2e3y6rs7k.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/charleville2/nrphc/skitched-327)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/charleville2/nrphc/skitched-327) - Uploaded with Skitch (http://skitch.com)

to be honest I am stuffed too after a days fishing and cleaning the fish is thought to be a chore

I do however love cleaning fish :) I love cleaning the days catch whilst the skipper tends to his boat (as only he knows how)

fish filleting is a skill I keep trying to master as is sharpening a knife, I keep reading on A/F to learn more :)

so I went out in my boat and fished for 8 hours on Monday and bought nothing home so i got to clean the boat without stress of cleaning fish :)

cheers murf

No Fear
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
How good is that filletting machine!!!

I'm hearing you Charleville - try to fillet a big red is no easy task either.....that bone behind the back of their head is as hard as a rock.

Thanks Shane C I will keep that in mind. Just so you all know, I dont actually mind paying someone to do it, money, bait a fillet.. I had a mate in Rocky who worked as a decky and he'd nailed out about 30 plus fish an hour, skinned and boned. 30 Fish takes me about 3 times as long!

I probably should do as most of you said and keep practicing to get better. I live in a block of units as well so I dont really have the facilities although if I start dropping some frames down the back creek, I might get that croc from Nudgee to come visit.

No Fear
01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh just one other quick question - just double checking but can you fillet at sea? Isnt there a size limit eg the fillets have to be bigger than 45cm or something? You just have the leave the skin on?

Mrs Ronnie H
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
hey guys
read this and had a chuckle---- s***T mate take me fishin and i'll fillet the lot..

you have to clean the boat--- fairs fair

lmao
Ronnie

murf
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
hey guys
read this and had a chuckle---- s***T mate take me fishin and i'll fillet the lot..

you have to clean the boat--- fairs fair

lmao
Ronnie

haha I keep putting in very subtle hints ;)

cheers Murf

revs57
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
G'day NF,

the way I read the regs and had bill corten explain them to me recently, there is no restriction in filleting Rocky fin fish at sea, the problem is reef fin fish - the fillets have a minimum size - somewhere around 45cm as my memory goes but I certainly stand to be corrected - and the regs may well have changed - the bureaucrats love justifying their jobs by changing the rulZ!

cheers

Rhys

STUIE63
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I thought the fillet had to be 40 cm with the skin on
Stuie

STUIE63
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
found it
Skin, fillet and pectoral fin removal
In relation to coral reef fin fish, a recreational fisher:
• must not possess on board a boat a fish other than in any of the following forms—whole, gilled, gutted or filleted
• may possess on board a boat a fillet of a fish other than a blue spotted coral trout (Chinese footballer) as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm, and the skin and scales of the fillet are attached to the fillet
• must not return fish to a boat that have been taken ashore from a boat and filleted, unless the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm and the skin of the fillet is attached to the fillet
• must not possess a dead coral reef fin fish unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish

copied and pasted from here
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Rec-fishing-regs.pdf
Stuie

murf
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
coral reef fin fish, a recreational fisher:
• must not possess on board a boat a fish other than in any of the following forms—whole, gilled, gutted or filleted

so does that mean you CAN fillet coral reef fin fish at sea (from a NSW bloke)

cheers Murf

STUIE63
01-10-2010, 10:00 PM
yes as long as the fillet has skin on and is over 40 cm in length

murf
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
yes as long as the fillet has skin on and is over 40 cm in length

you have to be careful how you read it and read all of it ;)

cheers Murf

3rd degree
02-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Its simple, the more you fillet n skin the quicker and better you will get, and good sharp knifes are a must.

After a while it becomes so quick and easy its a breeze!

Cheers
Jim

Mrs Ronnie H
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
haha I keep putting in very subtle hints ;)

cheers Murf

no hints--just seems fair that you do one or the other fillet or clean boat

ps-- just maybe i can fish and fillet as god as anyone here.

What next -- pay someone to bait the hook

lol

indy
02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok ill do it $1.50 a fish any size skinned and boned, you drop off and pick up when done.

MY ALIBI
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
hey mate, i do it all wash ol bertha then fillet all the fish ,, as last trip 2 deckies took the boat home as i stayed for fishin comp draws ( yeppoon tight lines clasic) got back and they done a demolision on the fish i was pissed and the boat another story, so yep ya wan it done good do it your self i say, but good luck with it anyways ...
cheers

onerabbit
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
If in Ballina I would be prepared to do it for you,

I'm good with a knife and fast,
skin and fillet only, not gut and scale.
will only charge 10% of total.

Muzz

tropicrows
05-10-2010, 04:42 PM
There is no substitute for a sharp knife regardless of the brand, I use $5.00 knives and $50.00 knives - usually have three going at once, a ten inch blade, eight inch blade and a 6inch blade - usually work each of them up with a coarse stone, fine stone, diamond steel then smooth steel to harden the edge - it makes the filleting easy

I find that when I use the steel to harden the edge I usually blunt it >:( , Next time we catch up you must show me how exactly to do it, but remember I'm left handed ;D

murf
05-10-2010, 04:45 PM

I find that when I use the steel to harden the edge I usually blunt it >:( , Next time we catch up you must show me how exactly to do it, but remember I'm left handed ;D

haha lucky knives have a left and a right side :)

cheers Murf

tropicrows
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Yep, your right. I find with a quality brand new knife a tent to drift away from the bone. So once I sharpen them their no good for a RH person.
The cheaper knives have the same edge both sides.

Murf : so you can spend 8 hrs out in a boat and not catch anything either and thought it was just me.............

murf
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Yep, your right. I find with a quality brand new knife a tent to drift away from the bone. So once I sharpen them their no good for a RH person.
The cheaper knives have the same edge both sides.

Murf : so you can spend 8 hrs out in a boat and not catch anything either and thought it was just me.............

yep yep :)

I sharpen a knife on a stone completely different to Rhys, not saying he is wrong but my way is better :P nah that is tongue in cheek fella's. will catch up at Xmas time and I will show you (and I am still hopeless at it as it takes skill ;) )

cheers Murf

Captain Jack Zero
09-10-2010, 11:58 PM
can i take your boat ,and tackle ,and catch them as well? i will just give you a call if i do any good.

Spaniard_King
10-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Anyone here use a Chefs choice sharpener??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chef-s-Choice-M130-Professional-Sharpening-Stations-NEW-/300317254576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ec4da3b0

I have had one of these for 2 years now, best sharpener ever. Even sharpens cerated knives.

I run 4 knives at the fillet table (much like revs57) the only difference is I run a big cerated knife for the big breast bones.

Fish are hard enough to catch and I hate seeing a fish butchered :P

Dignity
10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone here use a Chefs choice sharpener??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chef-s-Choice-M130-Professional-Sharpening-Stations-NEW-/300317254576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ec4da3b0

I have had one of these for 2 years now, best sharpener ever. Even sharpens cerated knives.

I run 4 knives at the fillet table (much like revs57) the only difference is I run a big cerated knife for the big breast bones.

Fish are hard enough to catch and I hate seeing a fish butchered :P

Garry,
does this beastie run on 240V or Battery, I've looked at a few different sharpeners but none have appealed to me but have yet to see one of these.

Sam

Spaniard_King
10-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Sam you will need to buy a 240-110 converter as well

donstewart
17-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey All,

Cheers
hi go to fisho at 3998 pacific highway loganholme:ph/38015400

donstewart
17-10-2010, 07:51 AM
fisho at loganholme do it

jason p
17-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Now the trick is to grow and train your own.
I had 2 boys, trained them for a few years, now when I get home, 1 fillets and cleans, the other washes the boat
Me, well I have a beer

cheers

mate now thats the go. i have a 3yo and 5yo, may have to wait a few years yet. can imagine them fighting over the knife::) and salt n bait still over the boat. still ill fillet they can wash, im on to somthing here.:D

jp

Gonzo73
23-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I wish i could catch enough fish that the cleaning and filleting was a pain .... If only . lol

Nicko_Cairns
23-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Well I knew it was start half a ruckus but I thought out of all of it I would find somewhere that actually done such a thing...

Its not only about the time and energy to fillet, its the quality of my filletting.....i'm not hopeless but I'm know superstar either...

Fishgutz - I'm normally fishing all weekend and back late Sundays either from the Sunny coast or 1770 so they come back on ice most times, its just I may not get a chance during the week with work!

BGG - thanks for the offer - probably take it up if I win the lottery tomorrow night.

Well thanks anyway - someone may pop up with some useful information. Until then, its 2 hours at the table! Thanks for the tip Apollo, I will have a look out for the one at 1770 next trip.

practice practice practice...

Smithy
26-10-2010, 03:18 PM
You could always take up catch and release or tag and release fishing. As people are legislated out of taking big hauls of fish or stopped from fishing in certain areas people's thinking has got to change. They should be out there enjoying the whole experience instead of having the mindset that they have to catch their cost of fuel back in fillets at the end of the day.

Personally I would always much rather go out and tag and release one of two marlin or sailfish for the day and call it a successful day rather than go and bottom bash and then think about standing at the cleaning table for an hour or more processing fillets only for them to sit in the freezer for ages. I am still getting through my packets of fillets from the Rainbow Beach Comp in July. I am offered fish by customers all the time but it is not worth the hassle of doing one or two at a time, I'd much rather get a production line going and process a heap in one big hit.

Each to their own though.

jason p
26-10-2010, 03:52 PM
i like your veiw on it smithy, it is the buz of getting out there in the boat, the only real place to find freedom in thinks and clear the mind. its always nice to come home with a good feed though,also gets the missus of the nag:) . nothin like eating fresh fish yoiu caught your self. i could eat fish every second night, but thats me. if i can catch a few for myself and some for the fam thats enough and the rest can go back. ha ha if i get that many;D .

i usually leave my fish on ice and clean the next day as im usualy buggered from the trip. would be nice to get someone to fillet them for me, dont think there would be much coin left to spare after the cost of heading out in the first place.

jp

Mrs Ronnie H
26-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi
just to keep my spirits up a little today-- I just lost my job so if you can pay me good wages i will fillet them for you. Would maybe contemplate baiting a hook or two as well

LOL
Ronnie

red rock cod
30-10-2010, 11:41 AM
a story from years ago. My neighbour and friends went winter whiting fishing. Couldn,t be bothered cleaning them. paid a bloke at the old Redcliffe leagues club. Got on the turps and then gave him the lot.

the gecko
08-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Maybe I can pay someone to go fishing for me as well.......

Runamuck
08-11-2010, 06:48 AM
I look at the filleting task in this way.......Out the back cleaning my catch with a stubbie or three while the missus complains about how long i was fishing for, but she does this inside the house and out of ear shot. hmmm, I'm winning so far.

I have to say that if you get annoyed with the filleting then you must always bring home a great catch!
Is this thread a sly way of talkin it up...lol ;D

lethal098
08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Not sure but i had the joy of filleting all but 3 our fish from the weekend cause the other guys are no good at it and i didnt want them to butcher the fish and waste it, some people can do it and are willing to learn but some just want someone else to do it, i dont mind.

Cheers Lee

Shawn 66
20-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey All,

Cheers

Mate,
Surely to Christ this post is a wind up.
If not,simple solution, DON'T GO FISHING.