PDA

View Full Version : Paid a deposit on "Bait Raped", now the waiting starts

thylacene
29-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Took a trip to the Sydney Boat show, I went to look, the wench had other ideas. Being dead keen on a Haines, she walked away disappointed in the layout of these, as we fish as a family of four, and while luxurious to look at, had minimal deck room, and seating impinged on fishing space. I also had concerns about the kindergarten controls, being 6'2", the low mounting of the wheel and throttle meant I was hunched over standing at the helm, and I find the same in the Quintrex. The Haines are a good looking boat, but eventually the determination was made that form would follow function, and she took a look at the Reef Runner. Another vessel that almost made the grade was the Arvor 215

After four trips around the show she came back to the Caribbean Reef Runner again and again. As we left I heard the phrase "I think we'll have one of them".

Put the Quintrex on the market, and banked the cheque today. Bought well as we sold it for what we paid for it 18 mths ago. Cost us service, fuel and rego to own it.

Rang a mate of mine a couple of weeks ago who owns one of these and took it for a run out of Bermagui and the wench was sold. Even made him an offer but he wouldn't part with his.

So after a suitable amount of research and procrastination, we finally bit the bullet and ordered a new one after unsuccessfully negotiating on three secondhand boats.

Paid the deposit on an assurance that everything that can be done to get it here by Xmas will be done. Vinyl is prepared and waiting, and on arrival it will be christened "Bait Raped" at its naming ceremony.

Specs

175 Suzuki 4st
Rocket Launchers
Deckwash
Plumbed live bait tank
Clears & storm cover
Garmin GPS750S - used for engine instrumentation also via NMEA2000
VHF Radio
EasyTow Trailer with keel rollers, spare & mesh
Marine flush toilet (so the wench can pee in comfort)
Dual batteries
Bait board
1250GPH bilge
Negotiated a reasonable discount (better than boat show prices)

Our reasons for selecting the Reef Runner are;

Hard Top - we fish out of Bermi on the south coast, and it gets a bit brisk/damp occasionally, and providing some shelter from the sun over summer.

The rear seats lift out allowing ready access to the rear corners of the boat and ease of fishing over the outboard

Ride - definitely better than the Quinnie, I am certain there are other boats that ride better, but on our test run we had a couple of meters of swell, and there was a point where the ride "flattened" out at a particular speed running into the swell, which was also quicker than we would usually travel in the Quintrex.

Just big enough to fish four of us, and still small enough for me to be confident driving it on the trailer.

Chose the Suzuki because we are both 4 stroke fans, picking the 175 over the 200 due to the weight. Another 45Kg on the transom seems to negate a fair bit of the return on the additional 25HP.

Cabin space - with an expressed desire to do a few all nighters on the shelf, and with both of us north of 6 foot, there is room for both of us to sleep in relative comfort (with a mate at the helm) when we need a few zeds.

225L fuel tank provides a good safety margin for a long days trolling.

So now we sit and wait for Xmas to roll around getting irritated reading fishing reports and watching the weather down the coast ;^)

Hopefully this will provide a good solid fishing platform that keeps the wench happy for the next ten years (I was happy to just go fishing).

Anyway, hope this helps other out there weighing up what they want in a boat. There are many options about, this one just met our requirements, YMMV.

Cheers

Thy

krazyfisher
30-09-2010, 05:44 AM
hope all goes well... if I was to buy another boat of that size and new that is what I would buy. They have many things that just seem to make sense for fishing and a very simular layout to the bertram 20.

Argle
30-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a winner to me, as long as it does what your family need/want it to do then its the right boat.
You wont be sorry with the 175 mate its a magnificent engine, every time I turn the key on mine I wonder how I put up with the old engine.

See if you can arrange a factory tour while its being built, we did one through the Haines factory recently when our boat was being built, very interesting and adds to the whole experience!

Cheers
Scott

scuttlebutt
30-09-2010, 10:35 AM
not sure about the name but yeah, sounds like a good setup.

julian1
30-09-2010, 10:41 AM
a good choice and well set upfor your intended purpose, i would recommend trim tabs and maybe ask the factory for some extra Glass in the hull as they will do it

Camhawk88
30-09-2010, 11:38 AM
not sure about the name but yeah, sounds like a good setup.

x2. Terrible name but each to their own, good luck with the purchase it should give you many good years.

crabbie
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Sounds great. Don"t forget to post some pics when she arrives.

fisho64
09-10-2010, 10:14 PM
x2. Terrible name but each to their own, good luck with the purchase it should give you many good years.

x3, been a mariner all my life for work and pleasure, boat names that are "confrontational" like Invader, Conqueror, Fish Killa etc etc kind of seem disrespectful to the power of the sea. And no Im not superstitous, I sail on fridays and even have females aboard cos I know its worse luck not to;)

Sounds like a good rig anyway, Suzuki's are getting a big reputation.

deckie
10-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Nice rig...shame about the name...x4
But as long as she performs when it matters who cares. Sorry couldnt resist.

Sounds a great setup. Sweet. Congrats matey.

Bear001
10-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Yay to the missus for having the final say...glad to hear you finally found something that suits your family.

Fishing is a great way to keep the family together, kids out of trouble and the memories they will keep of their childhood will be priceless.

Cant wait to see the photo's!!!

Um yes....x5 on the name too...sorry..

ffejsmada
10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah, nice boat.

Think you're trying to be too funny with the name, doesn't work for me.
Each to their own.

http://www.stkildaboatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.html?boat_id=306

Marlin_Mike
10-10-2010, 07:38 PM
have to agree. Nice boat, terrible shame about the name.

Mike

whatscracken
10-10-2010, 08:10 PM
x8 on the name. Shocking name for a boat and agree with Fisho64.

tin can marlin
11-10-2010, 05:16 AM
I would have to say very well done on how you have purchased this new boat moving your old rig on and then crunching a good deal on the new one is a credit to you.

Nic
11-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Congratulations on your purchase. I, too, am an ex-Quinnie owner and know how great it is to upgrade to an offshore boat that rides well (not that I'm against using Quinnies in the fresh/smooth inshore waters, mind).

It is commendable that you are aiming for a unique boat name; I can't count the number of times I've seen tired monikers like 'Reel Time', 'Aquaholic' etc. Still, the name you picked is pretty lame. You might find some good ideas here:

http://www.boatstripes.com.au/boatnames/

The name we chose for our Origin was 'Alchemy'. It's different, it has meaning for us, and it's not offensive.

Chimo
11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Enjoy the new boat, sad to say not impressed by the name either( father of 3 daughters)

Nicely and subtly put Nic, must be the womans side coming thru!

Cheers
Chimo

Bear001
11-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Yes I think as a woman the word 'raped' tends to instantly stand out and not for good reasons.

ozscott
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Mate the Reefy is a nice boat. They did a review on boat point a few years ago when it was re-released. In my view they probably wouldnt be quite the legend that the original was (a mate if mine has an original that he spent a truck load on - in fact more all up than a new one - and they are a very heavy hull and with the right power and torque they are pretty hard to beat in rough conditions). They are a very good value for money rig though it seems. Good luck and well done.

Cheers

PS. x 11 on the name. Mate what a shocker...I assume its play on "date raped" but it doesnt do much for me. I dont like the name at all, but then again its not my rig. Just be careful at the ramp if you get a dad who has had a day in the sun and full of piss and his wife or daughter has just had a bad experience.

Getout
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Surely its not bad luck to change the name before the boat is built?

ozscott
11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Surely its not bad luck to change the name before the boat is built?

I like that;D

nigelr
11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
But the wait will be worthwhile!
As for the name, to quote John McEnroe "You can't be serious!"
Another father of three daughters here.