PDA

View Full Version : 300HP Suzuki Goes Boom!!

oldie
29-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had or knows of issues with the 300HP Suzuki 4 strokes ? My cousin has just had one of his go BOOM at 1300hrs and its not even 2 years old, its been fully serviced every single 100hr interval. It does push a 32Ft Cat along with another 300HP which is fine, but at 60k for 2 newies its not looking very fun right now for him. I know for the average punter 1300hrs is huge numbers but considering i know of the 250's having 3500hrs and going strong. Looking for advice as he is 99% putting another 2 on but should he really be changing manufacturers? I know Yamaha serviced Newcastle Ports Corp for years with no trouble and they were doing huge hours, he is dictated by the area he lives and who can service his rig. Anyway if someone has some info or has heard of these problems happeing I'd be interested. Apparently a spark plug had collapsed but until they strip it down (12 grand later) who knows for sure why it blew but its a full top end rebuild involved. I just hope he is getting the right advice . Cheers Oldie

Dantren
29-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Mate, that is a sad state of affairs.
From what I've seen, the trend for commercial operators in SEQ is still with Suzuki.
It's a big call either way.
Dan.

Blackened
29-09-2010, 05:41 PM
G'day

I'd be looking at the cause first as to why before I'd be looking at replacements.

Warranty isn't an option?

Dave

oldie
29-09-2010, 05:43 PM
G'day

I'd be looking at the cause first as to why before I'd be looking at replacements.

Warranty isn't an option?

Dave

12 month warranty for commercial, problem is if he aint working he losing money its catch 22 so he needs to be back on the water asap!!

Jarrah Jack
29-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Unrelated to the 300hp question but one of the guide operations in the NT have got 140 zuks. One with 4000 hours and the other with 9000 hours,:o :o never flushed and never a problem.

whatscracken
29-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Sounds like bad luck! If I was to buy a new 300hp outboard tomorrow the new V6 from Yamaha would be my choice.

Giffo65
29-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Unrelated to the 300hp question but one of the guide operations in the NT have got 140 zuks. One with 4000 hours and the other with 9000 hours,:o :o never flushed and never a problem.

9000 hours:o,that is bloody unbelievable,my 2nd hand 3 yr old Yammie 4 st has over 2200 hrs and still going great.

peterbo3
29-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Oldie,
Could I suggest you or your cousin go here:
http://forums.iboats.com/
Join & ask the same question. Some of the best outboard techs in the world are on that site & they will know of any 300 Zuke problems.

Noelm
30-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Pete is right, post in the Yamaha/Suzuki section, and someone will fill you in, but I think it is more a "bad luck" thing, some sort of lean burn?, but as mentioned, find out why, the 300 Suzie has been one of the better large HP outboards made (so far) the big Yammies have had their fair share of drama, as have a lot of others.

julian1
30-09-2010, 10:31 AM
from all reports the 300 has been the more bullet proof Zuke V6, most in commercial arena's never need to be touched just keep servicing and they keep going. Would this particular boat be working out of Noosa ?

oldie
30-09-2010, 10:49 AM
from all reports the 300 has been the more bullet proof Zuke V6, most in commercial arena's never need to be touched just keep servicing and they keep going. Would this particular boat be working out of Noosa ?

is it that obvious?? I guess a lot of these cats run the 225 or 250's

julian1
30-09-2010, 10:54 AM
i'm sure the Suzuki guys up there will get them back on the water asap. it will be interesting to see if what the cause was.

i would imagine those engines cop alot of sand through the cooling system when theyre dragged through the shallow bar at times and never get flushed, but still should cope

Noelm
30-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Yep, there could be a dozen reasons it "blew up" whether it is the fact that it was a Suzuki rather than some other brand is anyone's guess, if it was bad fuel or something else, then any motor would have failed, lets wait and see hey.

Crocodile
30-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Hello Oldie,

Exactly what symptoms did the motor display?
eg. Is the conrod hanging out the side?
Does it have compression in any cylinders?
Is it one bank only?
Did it go bang, rattle, rattle, knock, knock, knock?
Is the sump full of metal filings?
You say that a spark plug collapsed, what do you mean by that?
I would like to know what has happened.
If you think it is beyond repair it would be very easy to take one of the heads off to inspect.
More details please.

Noelm
30-09-2010, 02:25 PM
hhmm "spark plug collapsed" not too sure what that means exactly, and whether that could be classified as "blowing up" or whether a "top end rebuild" means it has exploded either. Need more info I think, maybe even some pictures??

oldie
30-09-2010, 02:36 PM
hhmm "spark plug collapsed" not too sure what that means exactly, and whether that could be classified as "blowing up" or whether a "top end rebuild" means it has exploded either. Need more info I think, maybe even some pictures??

I'll get some more info, he was in a state of panic when i spoke to him and just mentioned that they looked at plug and one it had collapsed, local Suzi guys who service and look after motor told him looking like top end rebuild. Motor basically died as he was about to cross bar and would not re start, ill up date info soon

fishin_till_late
30-09-2010, 07:16 PM
mate tell him to get a verado
will save you being in a pickle