PDA

View Full Version : Charging Problem

Nathanrb4
29-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Im hoping someone might be able to help me out here.
Ive got a 1984 50hp yammy which isnt charging anymore.
i tested the bridge rectifier and was getting continuity both ways so i figured it was the problem and swapped it out with a new one. But not i am still only seeing the battery voltage and it does not increase with revs.
Ive tested the coil outputs and am getting between 14 and 16 Vac so it seems to be fine and i've tested the new rectifier and i only get continuity in one direction so it seems to be fine aswell. Have checked all wiring and replaced any connections that had any sign of corrosion one them aswell. Am i missing something?

cheers Nathan

FNQCairns
29-09-2010, 03:17 PM
It's been quite a while since i have been forced to go hands on in this area (touch wood).

I would first and foremost ask under what circumstance you are measuring at the battery...at idle on muffs with an out of gear rev up while checking?

If so and all of other perameters you measured seems fine do a water test with the meter connected in real time...do you have a tacho and does it work?

Point is one can see false negatives galore when doing this test on the muffs, at least I have.

Nathanrb4
29-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks forthe quick reply FNQcairns.
I have tested it both with the muffs on and just using a meter and also took it for a 20min run in the river watching the voltage on my Sounder (not to sure how accurate this is but it aways used to show the 13.6v or so when i was cruising along). I dont have a tacho but my Automotive meter has a tacho function and it seems to be showing revs just fine both at idle and when reving it up while on the muffs.

FNQCairns
29-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Well as long as you trust your sounder it all does seem fine but with the exception i cannot remember what Vac this side of the system should be outputting.

I asked about the taco because where they are wired will give earliest warning of a failure in the rectifier, the tach will not work, many with burnt outboards will attest to this.

The circuit is quite simple, if you are sure the new rectifier (brand new? and still fully operational) is working and all connections are clean and tight for good continuity i hope someone can come on and help more.

last try...have you tried a replacement battery?

Nathanrb4
29-09-2010, 08:07 PM
so turns out both my batteries (i have a duel battery system on it) are dead :( i put 2 new batteries in it and it starter working properly straight away. Was an expensive day but i got 6 years outta the last 2 so hopefully i'll get something similar outta these. Thanks for the help FNQ!

FNQCairns
29-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Ahh good stuff Nathan! was a pleasure, onwards and upwards:)