PDA

View Full Version : Is this noise normal for new trailer...

AnthonyL
27-09-2010, 09:42 PM
This is a short video of my new trailer shot on my phone.... I dont recall this happening with my previous new trailer.

The video doesnt do it justice for the noise it makes, dogs were barking at me on the way home today lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEXSMYw81w

AnthonyL
27-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Now I cant see the video... will try again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtxAYO18cik

dnej
27-09-2010, 10:11 PM
That would worry me a tad.
David

thylacene
27-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Have not watched your video, but any grinding or squealing sound is not normal for a new trailer. Check the tension on your brake cable if you have mechanical brakes, check for mudguards rubbing, and even jack up each wheel and feel for "notchiness" being the symptom of over tightened bearings.

Bangs & clunks will be evident, caused by mech brakes or possibly spring leaf friction. Rollers and guides can also make noise that is acceptable, but only from those that are unweighted when the boat is loaded.

Hope this helps. Me, I would be checking these things before heading off on a trip.

Cheers

Thy

wags on the water
28-09-2010, 03:14 AM
I'm surprised they didn't stop you as you were leaving the boatyard. :o :o

Sounds like steel on steel to me. As suggested, check the handbrake setup if there is one and jack up each wheel and see if the wheel nuts are tight, then check the wheel bearings for slop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9cUAXxMIg
Then I'd be on the phone to the dealer asap and get them to come to you as towing it any further could result in further damage. :'( :'(

Hope it gets sorted real quick.

Cheers,
Wags

Getout
28-09-2010, 06:16 AM
These tandem axle trailers with slipper springs squeak like mad, especially when turning. Try again after a bit of lube on the back end of the springs where they slide under the trailer frame.

Roughasguts
28-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Jack each wheel up and spin it! see which wheel is doing the metalic noise.

Can't be anything more than a gal bit of splash plate or something scraping on the outer lip of your disc.

Does it do it straight after a dunking?

Or You could also give the wheels a quick hose down and see if it does it straight after that.

Cheers

Lancair
28-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Mate that looks like a Sealink trailer. I had one briefly and it made similar noises. As mentioned above, the slipper springs make a lot of noise when new, until the gal wears off. Get some lube into it and itll quiet down. I hope you dont have the same issues loading your boat that I had.

At least its not from AMC, I can see now its a Baysport Boat.

Lancair

Monza
28-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah - agree. Sounds like the slipper leaf springs on my Sealink.

They will quieten down a little as the springs wear in the mounts. A bit a lube may help a little. They may have tightened the bolts a little too much - this squeezes the mounts plates on to the springs. You may want to consider backing off the nuts half a turn to prevent the mounts squeezing the springs, but make sure the bolts are still tight and lock nuts present to prevent the bolts unwinding further.

AnthonyL
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys, I am going to give some suggestions a go today and see if it improves, seems like it might be normal for this type of trailer. I will not be sneaking out with the boat with this noise haha.

AnthonyL
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Mate that looks like a Sealink trailer. I had one briefly and it made similar noises. As mentioned above, the slipper springs make a lot of noise when new, until the gal wears off. Get some lube into it and itll quiet down. I hope you dont have the same issues loading your boat that I had.

At least its not from AMC, I can see now its a Baysport Boat.

Lancair

Oh I read about your troubles with you new boat, it is shocking, I wanted to check mine out straight away after I read about yours. I did not buy from that boat dealership as I had read some bad reviews already and I have been jipped before by bad boat dealer so I researched where I purchased mine from first this time.

Bros
04-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Sounds awful like the spring packs to me. An easy way to find out is to hose the springs with a garden hose and see it the noise goes away. The water will act like a lubricant for a short time and will penetrate the springs

Greg P
04-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Yep - sealink. What you can do on the sealinks is loosen the spring hanger bolt/nut a little. Was told to that by the sea link guys, they are a nyloc nut arrangement and sometimes are rattled up too tight. Loosen them, then retension them then always check after hose downs etc. Mine havent moved since I did it about 3 yrs ago. Also spray some lanolin or silicon spray on the springs - helps for a while but I have come to the conclusion that I will never buy another sealink trailer again.

Mr__Bean
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi guys, off topic but a bit but you may be able to assist me with a Sea-link trailer question.

I have just picked up a new Sea-link double jetski trailer and am disapointed to see the all the bolts used are cad plated not galvanised. Are yours the same?

Also there are areas where they have sprayed silver paint on the galvanising as some sort of cheap touch up.

Do you guys have early corrosion issues?

These trailers have their frames and parts made in China then they are shipped over to Sea-link in big containers and assembled here, it looks as though the trailer frames have rubbed together and they have touched up the gal with the paint.

Any similar experiences or concerns?

- Darren

MikeyS
04-10-2010, 12:46 PM
My Sealink sounds exactly the same. I'll try the suggestions to try to shut mine up.

Greg P
04-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi guys, off topic but a bit but you may be able to assist me with a Sea-link trailer question.

I have just picked up a new Sea-link double jetski trailer and am disapointed to see the all the bolts used are cad plated not galvanised. Are yours the same?

Also there are areas where they have sprayed silver paint on the galvanising as some sort of cheap touch up.

Do you guys have early corrosion issues?

These trailers have their frames and parts made in China then they are shipped over to Sea-link in big containers and assembled here, it looks as though the trailer frames have rubbed together and they have touched up the gal with the paint.

Any similar experiences or concerns?

- Darren

Darren - mine was exactly the same with the frame rub throughs/bolts etc. I even had a stub axle on the front tandem axle welded off centre that was causing premature inner bearing failure (every 6 months). No corrossion on the main frames yet as I have redone a lot of their mistakes but all the spring u-bolts/nuts are on the way out.

As I mention above - will never buy another one of these POS again. I will spend the money on a decent alloy trailer.

Cheers

Greg

White Pointer
04-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Yep - sealink. What you can do on the sealinks is loosen the spring hanger bolt/nut a little. Was told to that by the sea link guys, they are a nyloc nut arrangement and sometimes are rattled up too tight. Loosen them, then retension them then always check after hose downs etc. Mine havent moved since I did it about 3 yrs ago. Also spray some lanolin or silicon spray on the springs - helps for a while but I have come to the conclusion that I will never buy another sealink trailer again.

G'day,

Greg on spot on but I don't worry about the squealing. I don't drive it too far as a rule and I've found that on longer trips is settles down. Must grind itself into a state of comfort.

I also agree that I will never buy another Sealink. It weighs 540Kg and that is just limiting what's in the boat on the way out and the way home.

My 6M boat is pretty much the same type and size as Greg's and I don't have much to play with weight-wise to keep it under 2T towing capacity. So the next solution is an ORIGIN BOATS all alloy trailer which Col tells me will save around 160Kg compared to the Sealink.

There is an ORIGIN BOATS alloy trailer being built to go under a 6M boat that's also in build. I will be keenly watching it's weight. If you have a BMT that is marginal at the 2T towing limit it might be worthwhile having a long hard look at this new trailer.

Most of you know, but in case you don't, I own a bit of ORIGIN BOATS and I'm proud of it; so this is pretty much a commercial and the moderators might kill this post but I hope they don't because this trailer is a solution for lots of people.

Regards,

White Pointer

Stephen Minslow
Director - Origin Boats
stephen.minslow@bigpond.com
0419 721 371

oldboot
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I baught a "NEW trailer" a while back, and appart from the wheel bearings and the slide shaft on the hitch, there was not a speck of grease on the whole thing.
AND I bet both the hubs abd the hitch were packed by the supplier before the trailer fabricator saw them.

I Pulled it appart bolt by bolt and greased every nut bolt and pin with marine grease.......then I sprayed up the insides of every tube with lanolin spray cut with white spirit.

this took me a full day spread over two days.

Seriously........ it would be a very rare thing to get a new trailer that was properly ready for use.

You have a choice......do a service on your trailer very early.....every nut bolt and pin.........and you will do the next one with spanners......if you don't you will do it with a grinder.

so many trailers that are "set up" by the dealer are not set up very well at all..so it will be well worth your time going over it and adjusting the fit too.

In a little while I will strip it down and paint it with galmet duragal....now that the galvanising has gone off.

If you spend a little time early on in the trailers life it will last many years......if you do nothing it will not last very long at all.

as for slipper springs squealing......one option is to cut a couple of "H" shaped pads out of hard plastic like HDPE and fit them to the spring hangers that the slippers sit in.....even cutting board works well....make em a tight fit and they will give you no problems.

If they have used plastic bushes in the eyes of the springs, you can bet your boots they have not greased them.....if they are not greased they will squeak like a mongrel and wear out prematurely.....fitting pins with a grease nipple is a realy good idea.

cheers

MikeyS
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I've checked the spring hangers and they are showing some wear - not a lot but enough to confirm that the bolts have been done up too tight.