PDA

View Full Version : What's the best boating bargain you've ever got??

finga
27-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Virtually everyone who looks in this section of Ausfish has gone to buy something for the boat and would have occasionally found a bargain. Or so they thought at the time
It might be a spot of light comic relief to share and to see what other people think of their so-called bargain/s.
What's the best bargain you've ever found and purchased??
Did you ever use it??

Mine would have to be the trailer under the Bertram. $200 with rego and no rust. You beauty ;D
Come to think about it the trailer under 'Junior' only cost me $250 so that wasn't so bad either I suppose:)

And then there was the little Honda on 'Junior'. It wouldn't start for the previous owner when I went to inspect it.
It would wind over and over but not even a sign of firing.
I made him an as is offer thinking it wouldn't be much wrong (hopefully). A really ridiculous offer at that.
Sad thing is when I looked at it I forgot all about the lanyard dodad...and so did the previous owner as it turned out. :-[
It all dawned on me when I looked at a wiring diagram to try and figure out what the problem was and voila...there's an emergency cut-out...and no lanyard. :-[
Seeing I knew the last owner I went back and told him and to renegotiate the price but he reckoned he was the one who needed his bum spanked for not remembering and let it be.
I paid $1100 for a 5 year old 15hp electric start Honda that 'wouldn't go'.

And then there's the outriggers I got for 'Junior' for $100. I'm going to use them one day. Honest I am ;D

And then there's the other crap I've brought (mainly at the Boaties Market) that's sat under the house ever since. I thought it was all a bargain and I really needed it but the truth is.... :-?

One of the biggest wastes of money that the cook keeps reminding me about are the two 1961 Royal Scott outboards I got one day coming home from a M&G at Viccy Point. The cook somehow thought I only brought one (don't know how that would have happened http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/Original%20Smilies/rolleyes.gif) but she later found out the truth...and I paid the price http://www.smileyhut.com/angry/chair.gif
But I had to buy them. They had my name on them. Literally ::)

Oh crap I just thought.
I better not want to sell 'Junior' for a while now. You buggers will remember. >:(

FishHunter
27-09-2010, 08:05 PM
A Cruise Craft Reef Ranger requiring TLC for $3200, still think its a bargain a couple of months later

Reef Cruiser
27-09-2010, 09:22 PM
cruise craft reef ranger everthing replaced all new great boat paid 13000

marto78
27-09-2010, 09:33 PM
A mate of mine works at the supercheap warehouse and gets a massive % off everything he buys from supercheap and BCF, so guess what? I took him down to buy my furuno 625, 100m of anchor rope, 2 rod holders and a few other bits and pieces all up it cost about $1400 ;D

Jarrah Jack
27-09-2010, 10:12 PM
As far as my cook is concerned everything I've ever brought for any boat has been an out and out bargain and simply must haves to replace the other out and out bargains that somehow needed replacing although they would, no doubt, last forever.

White Pointer
27-09-2010, 10:41 PM
G'day,

The best boating bargain is what you can do yourself and the best of mine have been the rod holders under the roof.

These cost me around $14 for the materials and about $3000 for the labour - but it was love.

We do lots for love>

Regards,

White Pointer

dodgyone
27-09-2010, 11:11 PM
New trailer for the 17r for $400. Secondhand 150 for $2000 with hydraulic steering. Raymarine Combo unit for $500. New Raymarine VHF for $200 off ebay. My whole boat is a tight arse rig.

Tazmaniac
27-09-2010, 11:48 PM
4.3 metre Stacer with a 40hp electric start Yamaha, sitting on a good trailer, all registered for 2 grand. Had it for 4 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.
Gotta be happy with that !
Taz.

Noelm
28-09-2010, 09:13 AM
hhmm let me see, way back when I was a lot younger, my mate and I got an old boat and trailer for nothing, all the boat needed was a new windscreen, new seats, new floor, new transom, new everything, and the trailer almost made it around the corner before a wheel came off, we then got an old tower of power Merc from a guy for next to nothing, after about 1 year of bodgey work and old bolts and sh!t liying around the garage, we had it all going ,but still needed a floor and transom and all the other stuff on the boat, we just wanted to get the thing in the water, what a bargain.

lethal098
28-09-2010, 09:35 AM
A brand new furuno ls4100 sounder with transducer for $4.50, Stuprid salesman got it wrong on the EFT machine, was supposed to be $450.00, Didnt realise for 3 weeks until my statement showed up, Still in the boat and still going strong.

cheers Lee

Chimo
28-09-2010, 10:22 AM
A 12 ft tinny (tender for the Vag) for nix, just needed to get the port side welded to the bottom where it had rubbed a meter long gap from rubbing on a concrete seawall. Great little boat that tows at 25Kn and planes with a 2.3hp with a 100kg if its placed right in the middle! 2.3HP Evinrude / Johnson / Mercury/ Mariner depending on cowl for $100, sweet little motor with the right fuel in it ie about 70:1 and finally a 2HP on longterm loan, so it will get some use !

Otherwise not too many bargains really, but we are talking about BOAT S which if I remember correctly does stand for "bring out another thousand stupid!"

C
C
PS which reminds me best whiskey is CC "Canadian Club".

Pazz01
28-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey Chimo

I always thought you spelt it as BOATT, bring out another ten thousand.

Ha

Pazz

Chimo
28-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Pazz, you have been talking to my wife, haven't you!

C
C

Argle
28-09-2010, 11:18 AM
A little 2.3 Evinrude same as yours Chimo, must have been a standard price for those $100 absolutely brilliant little engine would push my old 16ft Steber along at a nice trolling speed at idle for Rainbow trout at Wyangala dam. We could troll all day for one tank of fuel.....and it only held maybe 2 litres of fuel from memory!!
They hold their resale well too, sold it to a mate for you guessed it $100;D

Cheers
Scott

GBC
28-09-2010, 11:20 AM
When I was on the trawlers out of Cairns a bloke offered me a free boat one day.

Sitting in the 'beergarden' of the Big O (pub that was demolished in the early nineties) minding my own business and we get chatting.

"You sail this boat to Bougainville and deliver what's inside it in funny looking military style boxes, then sail off into the sunset with the boat........ Oh and two of my wantoks (mates) will be along for the ride to make sure you get there"

True story.

I miss the Big O - anyone who went there will know why 'beergarden' was in ' ' .

I don't think it would have been quite the bargain it sounded.

darkside
28-09-2010, 09:04 PM
As far as my cook is concerned everything I've ever brought for any boat has been an out and out bargain and simply must haves to replace the other out and out bargains that somehow needed replacing although they would, no doubt, last forever.

Ah so true, my bigest fear in life is if I die suddenly , my wife will sell all my fishing gear and toys for what I tell her I paid for them !!!!!

Jabiru658
28-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I won a neat and tidy 3.7m Stacer tinny with fitted bench cushions, an almost new 15 horse Yamaha, working nav lights, battery and good wiring on a decent trailer on ebay for $1500.

I wasn't expecting much (and I'd expected to be outbid), I was looking for a cheap project boat for the teenager but it turned out that the boat had been re powered with a new motor just the prior year and then the elderly owner passed on, it hadn't had it's 10 hour service yet.

The family didn't want it, didn't know anything about boats and were happy to get what they got for it.

My avatar shows me sitting in it travelling down the Murry river, we've since gotten rid of it but it gave good service and we got $3000 for it 2 years later without trying at all (and the buyer reckons he got a bargain).

wayno60
30-09-2010, 01:15 AM
my latest project, $213.00 ebay special..floor and transome solid as a rock.
It dont look like this anymore.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/620/picture001j.jpg (http://img580.imageshack.us/i/picture001j.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

jimbo59
02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I got a 189 half cab off a bloke i was supposed to give hime 2 grand but when i went to pick it up he said just give me a carton,i couldnt get to the pub quik enuf