PDA

View Full Version : NewRod...just have to brag

Scott nthQld
26-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I just got a new barra stick yesterday.....and its way sexy.

After looking at what felt like hundreds of different rods I settled on a Gary howard Samurai NV007 6-8kg 5'6".

It will be teamed with the Curado 200E7 I bought a while ago, spooled with 30lb.

i haven't yet used it, but it has heaps of balls down low, and a nice softish tip for feel, shock absorption and getting a good cast in with light lures. I spent the best part of this arvo fliking a few different lures into the pool to get a good feel for the rod when it gets puts into some real action.

Best part I find about the rod it a reel mount position. i found with the likes of the loomis, t-curve etc, the butt section was too long for me, and I found it a bit uncomfortable when working the lure, the Samurai has a shoter butt but still with enough room to work the reel effectively if a good fish is on and you need to wedge it in the gut. This is what really sold me on this rod....much more comfortable to use.

just need to blood him now

Richard
29-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Can I ask how much it cost you Scott?

I'm in the same position, after a similar type rod for my Curdado E7 as well after just snapping a T-Curve (still can't figure out what went wrong). It was a few years old so no warranty chance I'm afraid.

richard

JB
29-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Great blank mate, i've looked at that rod in the shop many times.. very nice. I just couldn't go for it as it wouldnt have given the flatties a chance lol, it would love a good jew thou.

Scott nthQld
30-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Richard, I paid $350 for it so about the same as a new loomis, but this rod has a much better feel to it for me, not to mention better components.

Will be giving it a road test up the creek this w/e chasing barra on poppers since the weathr turned to shit and I won't get the boat out

Daintreeboy
30-09-2010, 10:22 PM
nice. Totally agree with you on the long butts on factory rods these days. Not for me either.

devocean
02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I heard a rumour that the Egrells are a dressed up Sumarai blank- Mate it wulod have to be a top rd for me to put down my Loomis GL3 barra rod- If I ever need a walking stick it will be my loomis

NAGG
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I heard a rumour that the Egrells are a dressed up Sumarai blank- Mate it wulod have to be a top rd for me to put down my Loomis GL3 barra rod- If I ever need a walking stick it will be my loomis

I think they are blanks from the "land of the long white cloud" - and sheep;)

Chris

Mike Delisser
02-10-2010, 11:42 PM

The blanks Egrells & Bears are built on was designed by Eric himself.

Scott nthQld
04-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Main difference betweem a loomis and this rod is a loomis has only 'single' direction graphite ie all the fibres run the one way. This rod is mullti-directional in that the fibres criss cross producing a stronger, tougher blank. multi directional graphite is used on all the ultra light, super strong, high line class jigging rods you can pay thousands for. This is also the reason loomis don't make heavy rods, older technology that can't handle the heavy stresses the newer gear can.

NAGG
04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Richard, I paid $350 for it so about the same as a new loomis, but this rod has a much better feel to it for me, not to mention better components.

Will be giving it a road test up the creek this w/e chasing barra on poppers since the weathr turned to shit and I won't get the boat out

I think the Samurai Reaction 451 is built on the NV007 blank - very nice

The 451 is the best barra baitcast rod I have used

chris

grave41
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Scott, Loomis do make heavy rods depending on what you want.What do you call a C667 6"6 -40lb . I call it a come here stick.A 724 is a beautiful rod for barra.As for older technology that is so far from the truth its scary.
Erics rods are built on CTS blanks designed for him. Mainly Single helix.
Graham