PDA

View Full Version : What will Flowcoat stick to?

Rapson
26-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I want to remove the old carpet from my half cab Yalta and want to flowcoat it instead but before I flowcoat it I want to seal up a couple of joins that are leaking slightly with something like silicone and them flowcoat over.

Can anyone tell me what I can use that flowcoat will stick to?

Chimo
26-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Rapson

I would not use silcone. IMHO I would use fibreglass to fix damaged fibreglass (FRP) then sand the surface and go for it. When you lay FRP and let it go off before the next layer you need to apply you have a waxy surface that you need to sand before the next layer is applied be that resin or flocote or a mix of the two.

I had a team building big FRP structures and we found flowcoat would stick well to previously laid FRP if you prepared the surface well by sanding and then removed the dust and applied the next coat ie in your case flocoat.

We really simplified the system by mixing about 10% flocoat with our resin and then used the appropriate catylist % depending on ambient temp and how much time we had. This way we had colour right through the structures we laid up.

You may consider similar to reduce cost too perhaps. Paint it on thick and dont trap yourself in a corner!

Have fun

Cheers
Chimo

PS What Finga said too, if in doubt about whats underneath have a good look even if it means fitting a couple of spinouts to fill the inpection ports you may need to open up to check the status "down below" Hopefully theres no big issue.

finga
26-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Really check the gaps first as there would be no point in the exercise if there any rot at all.

Nothing sticks to silicon..Well stick to it for long that is.

deckie
26-09-2010, 10:09 PM
if there's cracks/joins u want to seal thin out some resin with styrene and get it in there first..keep an eye on it as it dries and get a bit more in if it "disappears"...then use 100% resin/flowcoat. Probond is more waterproof than poly resin/flowcoat but can crack around the edges over time especially on a more flexing surface like a deck. Flowcoat being polyester will stick well to any poly resins etc..just sand well, and acetone wipe to get every ounce of dust off. As mentioned above use it thick..one thick layer better than two thin ones i reckon. If shiney thats waxes coming out and needs to be sanded/acetone to get a good bond between coats/surfaces.