PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have tips on importing mercruiser engine and parts?

TheRealAndy
25-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Friend of mine had an incident with his mercruiser 7.4l sterndrive. The leg is ok, and the plate that bolts on the inside to the trasom is ok, however the bits between that are stuffed, as is the engine.

Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on importing these parts from the US or anywhere else. The dollar is good at the moment, so prime time for doing so.

peterbo3
25-09-2010, 07:27 PM
deleted due to reason 308.

Jarrah Jack
26-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Have a read of this one, there are a few ideas there.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=167423&highlight=mercruiser

PADDLES
27-09-2010, 08:43 AM
hi andy, i looked at some mercruiser parts recently (manifolds and risers) and by the time i got them landed here in australia it was only a smidgin cheaper than the dealership price here and there was no local warranty. a full motor would possibly be different. i'll have a quick search on here for a website link that one of the boys put me onto that has full reco engines for sale and post it up.

PADDLES
27-09-2010, 08:48 AM
found it

http://www.victorianmarinetechnology.com.au/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2

ozscott
27-09-2010, 09:00 AM
hi andy, i looked at some mercruiser parts recently (manifolds and risers) and by the time i got them landed here in australia it was only a smidgin cheaper than the dealership price here and there was no local warranty. a full motor would possibly be different. i'll have a quick search on here for a website link that one of the boys put me onto that has full reco engines for sale and post it up.

When the aussie $ is strong there is a massive difference in price on a new motor. A mate of mine just imported a 350mpi and leg and he reckons his local merc dealer said as long as it was installed by a merc dealer it would be warrantied in Aust.. I have my doubts about that part but we will see.

The saving for him after duty etc was about $10,000

Cheers

PADDLES
27-09-2010, 09:06 AM
yeehaaaa scott, $10k, that's a few beers worth. like you say, it'd be interesting to see how the warranty goes though with all the big manufacturers trying real hard to stamp out parallel importing to protect their distributors.

ozscott
27-09-2010, 09:57 AM
yeehaaaa scott, $10k, that's a few beers worth. like you say, it'd be interesting to see how the warranty goes though with all the big manufacturers trying real hard to stamp out parallel importing to protect their distributors.

Yeah mate. I have my doubts. It is a beautiful motor and goes hard. Louder than I thought, but then again any V8 at 3000-4000 rpm is going to by noisy in a boat. It is in a Reefrunner so it flies. The other day I was out with him and at 64kph rapped out past Peel Is he was about to come up beside me and then accelerate away with some authority. When he had a V6 in it it topped out at about 50kph.

Cheers