PDA

View Full Version : Navionics and CMAP are unofficial charts

TheRealAndy
25-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Just thought I would post this up since MSQ and AHS are pushing the fact that most electronics charts are not official charts and should not be relied upon for navigation. This is a result of a few incidents where ships have been damaged and or lost as a result of using unofficial charts.

Official fact sheet is here:

http://www.hydro.gov.au/factsheets/AHS_Fact_Sheet_Unofficial_Charts_And_Chart_Plotter s.pdf

trymyluck
25-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Just thought I would post this up since MSQ and AHS are pushing the fact that most electronics charts are not official charts and should not be relied upon for navigation. This is a result of a few incidents where ships have been damaged and or lost as a result of using unofficial charts.

Official fact sheet is here:

http://www.hydro.gov.au/factsheets/AHS_Fact_Sheet_Unofficial_Charts_And_Chart_Plotter s.pdf

Yes I know and I am one of the ones that don't carry the official charts, not sure if I could navigate off one although I'd guess Steve as he is my usual deckie would be able to given his sailing background. But then I'm not venturing that far out. If someone was cruising without the appropriate charts then thats a different kettle of fish I guess.

Mark

Do they show the bommies in Fitzroy?????;D

SatNav
28-09-2010, 10:12 AM
1. Yes it is a rather interesting situation where the custodians of the data make very specific stipulations re use of such data with these unofficial systems yet most state authorities condone the reverse.

2. Fast coming a time when someone will be looking for self justification after an incident and these manufacturers and some state authorities will be looking for cover.

LoungeLizard
28-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Well, of course they'll say it's not "official" - everybody covers their own backsides first.

The problem is, how do you use the "official" charts? For the average boatie it would be next to impossible to accurately track in realtime where they are on a bit of paper. I'd rather use an unofficial electronic device which accurate 99% of the time, than a 100% accurate chart with a 50% accurate human behind it.

IcyDuck
28-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I can see where MSQ and AHS are coming from. Manufacturer's license the chart content but AHS have no control over how it is reproduced in the various products. They also have no control of how often the manufacturer or the customer updates their products. Things like depth and location of sandbanks can change over time so they are the biggest issue.

I use the GPS for navigation but have an official chart as a reference. If I know the area then not a problem, but if I am unfamiliar with it, I will check the chart first. It's pretty easy really. Whilst underway, use the GPS to get your coordinates then refer to that location on the chart for anything of concern.

I've used the "Beacon to Beacon" directory as well. It's not official either but seems to be pretty good if it is a current edition.