PDA

View Full Version : Scarbie Charter

sleepygreg
24-09-2010, 11:55 PM
I am thinking of organising a charter out of Scarborough. Boat will be Firebird as I know the owner and the deckie quite well (its a 9.5m Platey built by Ben Noble). Will throw some extras in to make it an enjoyable day. If anyone is interested reply to the post. Timing will probably be mid October and will aim for a Saturday. Will check out moon phases and tides as well. We will have some flexibility with fishing methods, as I can customise the charter to suit us.

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
25-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi Greg,
I'm definitely interested ,but it would depend on final date it's on.
Looking forward to getting some more details.

sleepygreg
25-09-2010, 12:40 AM
No worries Peter, I am just putting the burley trail out to see how many takers it attracts. If I get enough interested, I will get in to the nitty gritty of times, dates etc. I will be talking with both Skipper and deckie this Sunday so I can confirm pricing/numbers etc.

Greg

sleepygreg
26-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Ok - Spoke with Skipper today. Cost is $215 pp for the day (based on 8 anglers max). Includes a full buffet lunch, all soft drinks, bait, tackle (you can also bring your own tackle). Dates are either 16th Oct or 23rd Oct. WE have control of the charter ie what we fish for and when. We also have choice of start time and finish time (we have the boat for 9 hours - times are flexible).

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
26-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Greg ,
Sounds good .
I'm available either date ,
Please book me a spot if it goes ahead .
Thanks
Peter
Searaider 2

sleepygreg
27-09-2010, 09:54 PM
that makes two of us.....now for the other six??????

Its a full moon on the 23rd....do you think this would be the better choice of day?

Greg

Searaider 2
27-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi Greg ,
I think you do better on the Reefies a few days either side of the full moon , so the 16th may be the better option .

sleepygreg
28-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I tried finding the solunar tables...but gave up in disgust. If you think that the 16th is a better day then we will go for that.

For those thinking about coming on board....here is a link to the charter service.

www.moretonislandfishingcharters.com.au (http://www.moretonislandfishingcharters.com.au)

007legend
28-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Greg
Looks like it won`t take long to get a crew together,
so let me know the date you guys want to go and I`ll get it happening.
The boat is a Ocean Prowler designed by John Patty at Sea Life Designs,it was only fizzed up by Nobles, 450 horses on the back gets her singing along very nicely!!!
Look forward to getting you guys out there.
Regard Doug
Skipper Firebird

bondy99
29-09-2010, 06:44 PM
G'day Greg
Yeah, you can count me in on this one.

Send me the details as to where the boat is etc. I should have my Penn GTI 345 OH Reel repaired by then.

What sort of fish is being targeted. Also need to know where to send payment etc.

Cheers, Peter

sleepygreg
29-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi Peter

Glad to have you on board finally. The pick up and drop off point is the Pontoon next to the boat ramp at Scarborough harbour (near the coastguard). What fish do you want to target?

The key to this charter is we can target what we want to target, and be flexible during the trip (though I would be listening very carefully to skipper Doug as he will have all the low down on whats being caught and where).

Will pm everyone with payment details once i know we have a definite crew, but it will be the same process as we did on the 'In The Black' charter.

Cheers
Greg

bondy99
30-09-2010, 08:14 PM
G'day Greg,

Yeah, since I've upgraded to a more reliable car i should have no problems, should have my overhead reel back by then.

Fish I normally target is anything thats on the reef that's edible and legal size and over e.g.....parrot, reds (if they are around this area), snapper, Kingfish, AJ.. I'm easy.

Dont know if he can stop for livies on the way through.

Might have to use the vessels terminal tackle, mine is just about exhausted.

Cheers, Peter

Searaider 2
01-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Greg ,
Boy I hope you can get a crew together.
My preference would be any type of Reef Species Snapper,
Pearlies etc . But I'm happy to fish for what ever may be about.

pommo
01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Is it an open invite as I would be interested??

Paul

Searaider 2
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Paul ,
On Gregs behalf .
Yes mate all Ausfish members are welcome to join / book in.
Hope to see you on board.

catfishkid
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I will register a definate interest,could even be two of us will check with my son if he is interested.

Cheers Craig

bondy99
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
G'day Greg,

I reckon we should have a full boat by now , can you confirm, all thats needed to do is pay the amount, and see if the weather will be good for that day.

If the weather is against us and the skipper pulls the pin, what is the option, refund or place towards another date?

Cheers, Peter

sleepygreg
01-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Paul and Craig,

Its an open invite..which is why I posted it here. Skipper Doug was consulted (drafted) by me to provide a charter for the Ausfish crew.

The way I organised the last charter was 1) when full crew was confirmed I pm'd all with my bank account details so that money could be put into my account (set up for this purpose) with reference being your Ausfish username. 2) I confirmed with skipper at midday the day before the trip that weather forecast was favourable and if so I drew a bank cheque for trip. 3) if trip was canned because of weather...money is either refunded back to you, or we rebook for another weekend - your option.

These guys are safety first all the way...with the comfort and enjoyment of the punters their first priority. I have fished with Wazza (owner of Firebird) and Doug (skipper of Firebird) In a few boats Wazza owned (non charter - but serious gamefishing/comp fishing) and even when they were in it for the fun of it...they were only ever worried about making sure the people they had on board enjoyed themselves...and this has carried through to the Charter operation.

The only thing gauranteed on this trip is that they will work their butts off to make sure we enjoy our trip and catch some fish....plus a few laughs along the way.

Greg

sleepygreg
01-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Ok...time for confirmation.

Preferred date is Saturday 16th October (will keep Saturday 23rd as backup option).

Crew for the trip is :

Sleepygreg (me)
Searaider (Pete)
Bondy (Peter)
Pommo (Paul)
Catfishkid (Craig)
Catfishkids son (Zac)

only need two more and 'thunderbirds are go'

Cheers
Greg

sleepygreg
01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
woops..maybe that should be 'Firebirds are go' ...lol

catfishkid
02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I will confirm myself and while I havent had a chance to check with the teenage terror (Zac)I will say he is a go as I will be paying, he wont say no.

Cheers Craig

bondy99
02-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Two more to go, come on people what's stopping ya??

Looking forward to getting a good feed

Cheers

sleepygreg
04-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah Peter......looking forward to putting a few fillets in the fridge. There must be a couple of Ausfishers out there who would enjoy this charter.

bondy99
04-10-2010, 09:52 PM
G'day Greg,

Yeah, the other fishos must be only bay dwellers 8-) , fish might pull them overboard ;D

Sheik
05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
hey sleepygreg PM sent

sleepygreg
05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks Sheik. Confirming you and your eldest as the final two places (pending last minute pullouts).

The 'Firebirds' Crew will be

Sleepygreg (me)
Searaider (Pete)
Bondy (Peter)
Pommo (Paul)
Catfishkid (Craig)
Catfishkids son (Zac)
Sheik (Jim)
Sheik (TBA)

I will PM bank account details for payment.

Cheers

Greg

sleepygreg
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
My Humble apologies guys. Had a phone call from Wazza (owner of Firebird) today. He has just got back from a couple of weeks overseas and told me he had already taken bookings for the days we were after (Dougie didnt know about them). The next available dates are 30th and 31st Oct.

I am a goer for the 30th, but I will understand if you arent.
Please indicate if you are still interested.

Once again apologies for the stuff up.

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Greg ,
Doooooh .
Not to worry it will probably be blowing on both the previous dates .
I'm Ok for a rebooking for Sat 30th .
Also a week after the full moon so still pretty good moon phase .
Thanks

sleepygreg
06-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Funny you should say that Pete...Wazza said pretty much the same thing lol. One of the guys he was fishing with (Claude) in New Caledonia is a bit of a weather guru and he is predicting a very windy summer season due to the La Nina we are going in to. Predicting some serious cyclones this coming season.

Ok - so thats 2 of us for the 30th.

Greg

pommo
07-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Heys guys I'm still keen. Those dates are good with me

Paul

bondy99
07-10-2010, 10:52 AM
ok, 30th seems ok at this stage

sleepygreg
08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Now to update the crew for the 30th October.

Sleepygreg (me) - confirmed
Searaider (Pete) - confirmed
Bondy (Peter) - comfirmed
Pommo (Paul) - confirmed
Catfishkid (Craig) - confirmed
Catfishkids son (Zac) - confirmed
Sheik (Jim)
Sheik (TBA)

catfishkid
09-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I have checked with the boy,we have the award night for his nomination for trainee of the year(coxswain msq)the night before.
we may be a little tired but count us in.

Cheers Craig

sleepygreg
09-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Craig

sleepygreg
11-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok - my stuff up this time - someone slipped in a booking on the Saturday before I could confirm with Wazza that we would take the 30th. Wazza left a message on my work phone on Saturday, but I forgot to tell him not to use that number on the weekend as it is turned off from friday night until monday morning. I have BOOKED the 31st (Sunday). Totally understand if you guys cant go, or are peed off with me for not getting my sh%t together in time. Just let me know if yes or no.

Searaider 2
12-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Greg ,
Dooooh ,oh well third time lucky .
Yes I'm still in for the 31 st.

catfishkid
12-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Greg it would be to easy to take a cheap shot now so i will do it later when you arent expecting it.we are still in.

Cheers Craig

sleepygreg
12-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks Pete and Craig.....I know i will get what I fully deserve.....I dish it out..but I also know how to take it. Im just hangin out to get a decent day on the water with a like minded crew. (now lets hope the weather gods are kind....am doing all sorts of dances and chants to ensure appropriate sacrifices are made).

sleepygreg
13-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Update for 31st Trip

Bondy (Peter) - confirmed
Pommo (Paul)
Sheik (Jim)
Sheik (TBA)

Now i know Pete can be relied upon to pull the cod off the reef if he claims 'his' corner of the boat. So we need to beat him by catching Pearlies.

Greg

bondy99
14-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Ok 31st, 3rd time lucky as they say, Not your fault Greg but if the operators of that charter boat cant communicate properly as to when the boat is booked or not booked then I wonder if they check the vessels motors in the same manner.

I'll be planning to catch some cod also, fully loaded with 100lb platypus braid.

Peter

sleepygreg
14-10-2010, 10:59 PM
thanks Peter. Believe me when I tell you that this vessel is maintained to the highest standards....just an unusual set of circumstances re communications...I will fill everybody in on it when we hit the water...it will give us a few laughs to start the trip.

therapy
15-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Ok 31st, 3rd time lucky as they say, Not your fault Greg but if the operators of that charter boat cant communicate properly as to when the boat is booked or not booked then I wonder if they check the vessels motors in the same manner.

I'll be planning to catch some cod also, fully loaded with 100lb platypus braid.

Peter

WTF?!?!? Don't go then? It doesn't even make sense? Ask if you cansink some pots on the way out::) hey??:-? :-? Greg, I thought about jumping on board for this one but after seeing the crew list (one name particularly), it would be a long day on the boat...

bondy99
15-10-2010, 06:46 AM
WTF?!?!? Don't go then? It doesn't even make sense? Ask if you cansink some pots on the way out::) hey??:-? :-? Greg, I thought about jumping on board for this one but after seeing the crew list (one name particularly), it would be a long day on the boat...

Therapy. I take it you never make plans in advance mate or you just live day to day?

You never met and you dont know me, never judge a person by the topic, words or messages they say or write.

therapy
16-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Therapy. I take it you never make plans in advance mate or you just live day to day?

You never met and you dont know me, never judge a person by the topic, words or messages they say or write.

WTF?!?!?! AGAIN. What does making plans have to do with the fact you are willing to cast aspersions on the ability of an operators ( recommended by a respected and experienced member) ability to maintain there vessel because there was an as stated miscommunication?!?!? In cyberland, the only thing you can judge people on is what they type and the opinions they express. I know what my opinion is of you. Leave it at that and I'll get off this thread. I hope you have a good charter.

bondy99
16-10-2010, 08:44 AM
WTF?!?!?! AGAIN. What does making plans have to do with the fact you are willing to cast aspersions on the ability of an operators ( recommended by a respected and experienced member) ability to maintain there vessel because there was an as stated miscommunication?!?!? In cyberland, the only thing you can judge people on is what they type and the opinions they express. I know what my opinion is of you. Leave it at that and I'll get off this thread. I hope you have a good charter.

Therapy , WTFIUYA?!?!?!

Mate some people in this world use a calender to plan events, meetings and schedules. If there is a date set aside for a planned activity then one sets that day aside.

When the date is set aside and then cancelled one has to reschedule, its called the domino effect. The domino effect means it affects more than one person then one has to rearrange and do a reshuffle, if one does this on more than one occassion with a good client base then it tends to effect the reliability and credibility of the person

If you ran a business with alot of high end clients then you might appreciate or understand what I'm talking about as there are lot of expectations placed on a person to fullfill.

Mate, also if you read the earlier piece, I said it was no fault of Greg's but the owner/operators of the charter.

And yes mate, I have been on quite a few, some very outstanding and there is no miscommunication because they check their booking sheets or manifest prior to saying yeah the boats available or not available.

I also know what my opinion of you too and its not indifferent.

Like you said, leave it at that and I'm off this topic. Yes I will enjoy the charter and thanks, have a nice day

sleepygreg
16-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Guys ....please....can we get back to what this thread was about. All I want is to have a great day on the water, with other guys (and gals if they are interested...no sexism on my part....though they always catch more fish than the guys). A decent feed or two and a few arm stretches.

The communications thing was more comedy capers than any aspersion on the operators...and i contributed to that. Lets just say that its all sorted now...we are booked for the 31st....and only the weather gods can intervene (though it looks like they will do their best to try).

Greg

bondy99
17-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I agree and second that

bondy99
18-10-2010, 05:14 PM
G'day Greg,

Can you pm the bank details and cost, I like to get this in the account this Friday or early next week.

Cheers, Peter

sleepygreg
18-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Pommo and Sheik.....could you guys let me know if you are still in.....so I can open it up to others if you cant make it? Thanks guys.

Greg

bondy99
20-10-2010, 08:15 PM
G'day Greg

11 days to go. I'd like to get payment in your account sooner not last minute so is anyone else going

Cheers

Chamelion
20-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Hope you do well guys. :) You should be fine as I won't be there. I'm worse than a bag of bananas when it comes to being on charter boats.

sleepygreg
21-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Geez Matt.....you did ok on the last trip considering the circumstances. there was a few of us shagged from the week that was....and Lovey flew in from Dubai the night before.

Peter...will PM the details thursday night.

Havent had any confirmation from Pommo and Sheik...so there could be three spots open.

Cheers

Greg

bondy99
21-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks Greg,

Matt, I thought you would be in like Flynn, you done ok last time you was outside.

Cheers, Peter

Sheik
21-10-2010, 06:24 AM
yeah thanks Greg
Could you just reiterate what the plan is and where we're going, what species we're targetting before I give the final go ahead. I'm wanting to take my 15 yo out for his birthday and wouldn';t like to spend $400+ on something that doesn't quite suit. I'll check every day until the weekend, when I'll be away.
regards jim

Lapras
21-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Havent had any confirmation from Pommo and Sheik...so there could be three spots open.

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

I dropped off this tread for a while, but if you are now set on the 31st I'd like a spot if you end up having one spare. Never fished deep but would love to have a go.

Dave

pommo
21-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Greg,

Unfortunately the 31st is no good for me,,,, So pencil me in for the next trip because I'm very keen..

Paul

sleepygreg
21-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Paul.

Dave, the spot is yours if you want it.

Jim, The species we target will be guided by what has been 'on the chew' throughout the week. We have the option of fishing for pelagics, the shallow reefs, or the deep reefs. The skipper and deckie have their ears to the ground on what is being caught....as well as some sneaky spots for back up when the fish are scarce. My thoughts would be to try for some pearlies, snaps, general reefies first up, then depending on whats happening on the surface, have a bit of a troll around and see if there is an early season black or a sail about, then hit the reefs for some kingies/AJ's. But they are only my thoughts....we have the choices on this charter....Wazza just wants us to have a good time.

Cheers
Greg

sleepygreg
21-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Latest update

Update for 31st Trip

Lapras (Dave) - confirmed
Sheik (Jim)
Sheik (TBA)

I am sending bank account details via PM. Please use your Ausfish user name as reference.

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
22-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi Greg ,
Just transfered you my $215 for the trip.
Thanks

Sheik
22-10-2010, 06:09 AM
getting back to you soon greg... ... pm sent

bondy99
22-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Greg.

It will be in your account on Monday. Had a bastard of a day today.

Cheers

sleepygreg
22-10-2010, 10:56 PM
update number .....whatever...lol

Sleepygreg (me) - confirmed - paid
Searaider (Pete) - confirmed - paid
Lapras (Dave) - confirmed - paid
Sheik (Jim) - confirmed - paid
Sheik (Tom) - confirmed - paid

All good.

Now the question is....What time do you guys want to leave port? ( like I said before...this charter - we make the decisions)

Pick up point is the pontoon next to the Boat Ramp at the Scarborough Harbour Boat Ramp (next to the Redcliffe Coastguard Base) Thurect Parade, Scarborough.

My phone number is 0407 010957.......so lock it in Eddy.

Cheers

Greg

Lapras
23-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Greg,

Whatever time is best to catch fish is good with me.

Also, how heavy are we likely to be fishing, is it worth bringing my own gear 20lb outfit is about as heavy as I go, or just use theirs?

Looking forward to it,

Dave

catfishkid
23-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Will fix it up on monday greg,have to put the cash into the bank and then transfer it.
As for what time to me there is no such thing as to early.

Cheers Craig

Searaider 2
23-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree with catfish ,
No such thing as too early .
Daybreak or earliest leave from the ramp would be good .

sleepygreg
23-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Dave - Probably best using their gear - less tangles that way.

I will let them know earliest possible start.

bondy99
23-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I would think about 5.30am or 5.45am depart Scarborough.

I'll be bringing my rod and O/H reel loaded with 100lb braid, wont be using anything less. Might have to use their sinkers and swivels and hooks maybe.

If there are any reds as red emperor then I'll test out my new hook with a slab of mullet and see what happens.

Cheers

sleepygreg
23-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Peter ..... I would be very doubtfull about catching a Red Emporer, chances are better for some big pearlies or snaps...there have been a few around of late. Also still some AJ's and Kingies, with the odd XOS Cobe. There are still Sails around, and the occasional small Black has poked its beak into the mix.

I am a bit of a bugger in that whenever we stop for a drop on the reef, I like to put a floater out as well. It means I have to do double duties....but hey....get some nice fish on that floater.

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
23-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Geday Greg ,
I've heard of a few good Cobia up to 30kg being caught recently ,if one of us get hooked up on one of them they'll get their arms stretched .
Although I like my reefies , I've never been on a boat that's hooked up on a Marlin or the like , so it would be good to see one hoohed up . I agree that you'd have be be extremely lucky to get a legal Red Emperor
( although you hear of a just legal one getting fought very occasionally ) it's too far south for them .
All we need now is for the Weather Gods to play the game .

sleepygreg
24-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I am surprised to hear that you havent been on a boat that has hooked up a beakie Pete.

If we dont get one this trip. Maybe you and I and one other can book a trip with Smithy during december/january and specifically target them. (targetting billies can be a 'boring as batsh$t' excercise....but when it comes off its spectacular.

A charter with 8 pax targetting billies specifically is not a good option as the odds are way too high. Hence we want to make sure everyone gets some fish, but if there is some surface action we can switch over to it.

It is very much a 'play it by ear' charter combining what we want to do based on the skips knowledge of what has been happening recently.

I too am making my sacrifices to the weather gods.

Now where is that Alter and the Goat???

Cheers
Greg

catfishkid
25-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Now we just hope it stays similar to this!!!!!!!http://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forecast/3/BRIS/rgg.png?1287963816878

bondy99
25-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Red emperor is wishful thinking on my part, however if there is an arm stretcher then I'm sure to bring it up, see my other pics re Seaprobe.

Have we decided on a time to depart?

Cheers

bondy99
25-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Greg,

Money went into your account this arvo champ.

Deposited via UQ St Lucia at about 3.15pm.

Cheers, Peter

sleepygreg
25-10-2010, 11:17 PM
thanks Peter. Havent got departure times as yet...playing a bit of phone tag (I am bluddy hard to get during business hours - 6am-7pm). I am not game to say "weather is looking good at ths stage"...so I wont say it.

Lets hope somone up there is smiling on us.

Greg

bondy99
26-10-2010, 04:18 PM
No worries Greg,

I'm sure we will hear from you about the time when it's near.
Peter

Sheik
26-10-2010, 06:55 PM
AS far as I'm concerned the earlier the better. A dawn bite is one of the optimum times to fish, and also we get back at a reasonable hour, but having said that I'll go along with what is decided.

bondy99
26-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah. Also, make sure no one brings bananas on the boat. Bananas = no fish, been on a few charters in the past and thats exactly what happens.

Leave your bananas at home

Lapras
26-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah. Also, make sure no one brings bananas on the boat. Bananas = no fish, been on a few charters in the past and thats exactly what happens.

Leave your bananas at home

Watched a fishing show the other day which rigged a banana as a lure and managed a hook-up to bust that myth, but maybe only marlin like them.

Dave

sleepygreg
26-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Ok - all the ducks have lined up in a row. The nutshell summary is....everyone has paid....Wazza and I have finally caught up....the trip details are as follows.

Pick up from Scarborough Harbour at 5am Sunday 31st October - return approx 2pm.

If you guys could pm me your private email addies I will send you the PDF file with the finer details of the trip/what to bring/what is provided. (cant seem to post a PDF file on here)...if anyone can help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Greg

bondy99
27-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Watched a fishing show the other day which rigged a banana as a lure and managed a hook-up to bust that myth, but maybe only marlin like them.

Dave

Dave,

Yeah, same like the giant Barrumundi caught on a banana hey.

It's the oils that are transferred to the bait via the hand including sunscreen, fish do have sensative noses.

My opinion about bananas and don't take this personally.

Maybe you could get a few people together and have a special charter and pay full fee where everyone has bananas on board. Maybe that will test the waters and the theory.

Hmmm 10 people at $250.00 a pop with the guarantee that fish will be caught with bananas on board, if no fish are caught then all monies fully refunded. Now that would be worth it :)

On a serious note, I believe an editor from one of the fishing magazines did test this theory but unfortunately a string of coincidences and bad luck had followed him. I cant recall the fishing magazine off the top of my head (Modern Fishing or similar) might have been 2009, but if I do come across it again I'll send you the details, it was a good 2 to 4 pages, good reading and also comical.

I believe he was going to test it again down the track but so far he has not.

Cheers, Peter

bondy99
27-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Ok - all the ducks have lined up in a row. The nutshell summary is....everyone has paid....Wazza and I have finally caught up....the trip details are as follows.

Pick up from Scarborough Harbour at 5am Sunday 31st October - return approx 2pm.

If you guys could pm me your private email addies I will send you the PDF file with the finer details of the trip/what to bring/what is provided. (cant seem to post a PDF file on here)...if anyone can help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Greg

G'day Greg,

Thanks for the update, PM sent

sleepygreg
28-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Have sent file to all suplied addresses.

Was speaking to Dougie tonight.....and he said to bring along whatever rods and reels you wanted, any lures you wanted to try, and they will try to accommodate us.

Wazza and Patto went out wide today on Firebird for a social trip (not a charter) and snared a 92kg Striped Marlin. Should be able to post some pics soon as it couldnt be revived and they brought it back to weigh.

For those that get upset by seeing beakies strung up...sorry. But it will happen ocassionally that one will die on the trace, or come up tail wrapped. The fish wont be wasted as it will be commercially smoked and what is not required by the anglers and their families will be donated to the local nursing homes.

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
28-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Geday Greg ,
Email address sent to you via P.M.
Thanks
Pete

Lapras
28-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Attached is Greg's PDF in case you have not had it e-mailed.

Peter,
Looking forward to the discussion, but nowhere near as much as the fishing.

It will be good to meet everyone on Sunday,

Dave

bondy99
28-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Attached is Greg's PDF in case you have not had it e-mailed.

Peter,
Looking forward to the discussion, but nowhere near as much as the fishing.

It will be good to meet everyone on Sunday,

Dave

G'day Dave,

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to the fish action. Been some time and also good to meet some of people on this forum. A good day all round I think

Peter

bondy99
28-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Have sent file to all suplied addresses.

Was speaking to Dougie tonight.....and he said to bring along whatever rods and reels you wanted, any lures you wanted to try, and they will try to accommodate us.

Wazza and Patto went out wide today on Firebird for a social trip (not a charter) and snared a 92kg Striped Marlin. Should be able to post some pics soon as it couldnt be revived and they brought it back to weigh.

For those that get upset by seeing beakies strung up...sorry. But it will happen ocassionally that one will die on the trace, or come up tail wrapped. The fish wont be wasted as it will be commercially smoked and what is not required by the anglers and their families will be donated to the local nursing homes.

Cheers
Greg

G'day Greg,

No worries for me. If the lads do hook one up and it becomes cactus i.e. cant be recovered, yeah, I'll have a piece. Had marlin and broadbill in the past, nice mediterranean tucker.

Have not had it smoked as yet but always a first for me.

What's a good wood to smoke these?

I'll see you Sunday

Cheers, Peter

sleepygreg
28-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey ....might be an idea to check out the website. Wazza has just updated it with the latest pics.

Just had a look at the weather forecast...................DONT MENTION THE WEATHER>>>>you will jinx us.

Cheers
Greg

PS...can someone bring a camera...mine is on its last legs and I cant guarantee it will work properly.....or better still .....no one bring a camera....that wil make sure we catch something worth taking a picture of......lol.

sleepygreg
29-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I am going to apologise up front for Dougies crappie jokes. YOU WERE WARNED!!

Chamelion
30-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Good luck lads, I hope you have a cracker of a day.. Tight lines! :)

Matt.

sleepygreg
30-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Didnt quite make it to the ramp today to see what they caught on Firebird. But from a distance they all seemed to be carrying eskies and struggling a bit. Was a bit busy at the ramp and couldnt get a park close to the action. Firebird was heading back to her bed across the bay after being fuelled up. The guys that came off Incredible also had a heap of fish.......I have sharpened up me filletting knives so we better catch some!!!!!

Cheers
Greg

Searaider 2
30-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Geday Greg,
Hopefully between us there'll be enough to split up so everyone gets a feed . Are you thinking we fillets them at the ramp & then spliting them up .
Sounds like a good idea to me .
See you in the morning .

sleepygreg
30-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Geeez Pete.....dunno...I am thinking it might be a bit of a sh%tfight at the cleaning table when we get back.....if the number of boats at the ramp are any indication today. Tommorrows weather is predicted to be better than today............I dont mind whether we fillet at the ramp or take the fish home and fillet.......I would be coming back to the same place to fillet anyway....I am only five minutes from the ramp. Esky is already in the car, knives are sharpened......dub dub dub.....like a good scout I am prepared....lol.

swabio
31-10-2010, 02:26 PM
hope you guys have a ball, and catch a swag of fish!

Lapras
31-10-2010, 08:56 PM
hope you guys have a ball, and catch a swag of fish!

Thanks swabio, we DID !!! see the report,

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=169694

Thanks very much to Sleepygrey and the Firebird crew Wazza and Dougie.

Dave

bondy99
11-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Maybe another trip before Christmas or after?

sleepygreg
12-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Just had a look at the pic...what a bluddy mottley crew we are!!!!!!!!

Ok - stick your hands up if you are interested again and I will post another thread......bearing in mind that the Gamefishing season is upon us and it might be a bit hard to get dates (plus the reefies are starting to get a bit thin on the ground).

If ya want it I can organise another trip. I am up for it.

Searaider 2
12-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Greg, bondy
I'm deffinately interested in another trip.

bondy99
12-11-2010, 09:09 PM
G'day all,

I'm going to Hervey Bay first 4th or 5th December and see if I can get some coral trout, I heard they are on the chew again. Maybe some school and spotted mackeral or tuna if they are about at the time. I'll be taking two rods. one for spining gear - metal slugs (mackeral).

Scarbie Charter will be late in the month of December for me if we get the numbers.

Cheers, Peter

sleepygreg
22-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Might have to be in the new year. Calender is getting a bit crowded now before xmas.

Searaider 2
23-11-2010, 04:15 AM
Hi Greg,
Sounds good .
Might be a good idea if you could come up with a tentative booking date that both you & the boat are available for a pending crew can work too ?

bondy99
23-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I reckon sometime in the new year might be better.

sleepygreg
23-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I will have some discussions with Wazza and check the calender. I know they will be fishing some of the Gamefishing tournaments (as will I) coming up. So I will try and line up a day that doesnt clash (and hope the weather gods play ball).

BrummyBoi
06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I will have some discussions with Wazza and check the calender. I know they will be fishing some of the Gamefishing tournaments (as will I) coming up. So I will try and line up a day that doesnt clash (and hope the weather gods play ball).

how can u fnd out about the GF comps mate?? is it an invite only thing or can any keen angler jump on the van wagon???
thanks

sleepygreg
06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Go to www.qgfa.asn.au (http://www.qgfa.asn.au) and look under calenders and it will give you a list of all the sanctioned gamefishing tournaments in Qld. You must be a member of a gamefishing club (or a member of QGFA or IGFA) to fish the tournaments. No most of them are not invitational. You just pays your money and shows your membership card and away you go.

bondy99
21-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Well Greg (sleepygreg)

My fishing trip to Hervey Bay was not the ideal conditions, winds from the North made the waves short and sharp and very bumby. It was about 2 saturdays ago, 5 hour drive up dropped crab pots at a spot GX on the way up . Could nto get to the southern gutters as it was too uncomfortabel so went to Roonies, not much good there then went to Cod Hole near Fraser Island..managed to get 2 nannygai and 2 hussar and a 4ft shark (green eyes and slim).

Also lost 2 large fish, 30 kg Cobia , we were at anchor, I asked the skipper that we might have to go and chase this fish and to retrieve some of my line, Skipper just shrugged and said "no worries mate, it will come back".. come back my foot, it went straight around the anchor and down into a rocky reef and yep cut the leader,,,it was definetly no shark as I had it on the surface once.

100lb braid with 100lb jinkai leader. I'm now going to 150lb jinkai leader.

When in the next year might be good to go with our mates again?

I'm going back up to Hervey Bay again maybe 9th January 2011, also try Urungan Pier for good GT and mackeral towards the far end (deep water).

Chamelion
22-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Colourful nannies :)

Hervey Bay hey? I'm moving there in April.

bondy99
22-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Chamellion,

Thanks, they are nice, I was after coral trout but the weather was not the best on that day.

Mate, you'll have to send me your details where you will be in Hervey Bay. It will be good to catch up with you and do some fishing next time when I'm up there.

Are you moving to HB due to your job or a career change as well?

Say hello to your family for me.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011

Chamelion
22-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey Bondy :)

Moving due to being unable to afford the costs of remaining on the Sunshine Coast. The house we've been in at below market value for the last 5 years is up for sale and we're being forced to move.
Our options have been to stay on the Sunshine Coast and house a family of four in a two bedroom unit or move further afield.

Fortunately Hervey Bay ticks all the boxes - Rent is decent, schools are decent, my wife should be able to get a work transfer, it has a university (for me) and last but not least there are fish to be fished for (unlike a couple of our other options ie: Toowoomba).

Once I'm up there I'll let you know of where I am and my number for sure. :)

bondy99
22-12-2010, 08:57 PM
G'day Chamelion:) ,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the costs. I can relate and hear what you're saying. yep, Hervey Bay does have fish. I missed out on a few jobs up :( there otherwise I would have moved long time ago, however I would have only been based on Fraser Island then come back to mainland for 4 days and back to Fraser on a rotating roster..;D .I could handle that but never eventuated.

No worries, keep in touch. :)

Cheers, Peter