PDA

View Full Version : Single Handling - Haines 543RF/Haines602F/Cruise Craft 575

Beard1705
23-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Looking for some first hand experience from anybody who has Haines Signature 543RF/602F or CruiseCraft 575 Explorers, particularly the ability to launch and retrieve these boats on your loansome. (albeit peoples skills will vary).

My 6 month loaner 13ft tinny was repossessed by its owner and after spending countless weekends being buzzed by jet skis or nearly runover by 52ft monsters in the Gold Coast Broadwater, looking at a bigger boat to expand my horizons.

I tend to do a lot of fishing by myself (no wife/no kids) and mates who say they will come invariably have those things which means 6 am starts at the Gold Coast or Bribie (from Brisbane) dont suit them. Requests to go at "more suitable hours like 10 am to be home by 2 pm" are refused (I go fishing not boating).

Any feedback people have on launching and handling these boats on your own would be appreciated, tips or tricks and particularly if there are any better or worse ramps to launch from in SE Qld region suiting single/short handling (yes I have seen and are considering Boat Latch system). I am based in Brisbane so travel to the Gold Coast/Bribie/Sunshine Coast is generally the preferred area.

Many thanks

Beard1705

Jarrah Jack
23-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I can't help a lot on those particular boats but have launched and retreived many different boats in my time. First thing I always do with a new boat is to set the trailer up correctly so that if you miss center then its no big deal.

So much of launching and retreival is confidence and experience especially when you are half asleep with an early start, then its a matter of going through a mental list of things. Bungs, motor up or down correct, fuel primed, ropes long enough and in the right place, battery charged, wind direction. The list can go on.

Definitely the boat latch is a great help, its not easy climbing up and down from the trailer to the boat.

Can't help with ramps in your area but its good to go there when its quiet and do some practice, although I never have but its a good theory to build up that experience. Also its worth going to a busy ramp and watching the good and bad L & R's.

Noelm
23-09-2010, 09:47 AM
self launch and retrieve will depend a lot on the trailer, a well built and adjusted trailer will make it a breeze, one problem is what to do with the boat when parking or getting the car, not all ramps have a jetty or a nice sandy beach! lots of trailers allow for drive on/off which makes it even easier, but as with all things, at times the wind and current will conspire to make it a difficult task with 6 people to help! just practice and then practice some more.

finding_time
23-09-2010, 10:09 AM
As others have already said it's the trailer not boat thats important!!! With a well designed and set up trailer any boat is easy to self launch and retrieve!

MikeyS
23-09-2010, 11:40 AM
If you can drive on/off the trailer and are capable of climbing from the trailer winch to the cockpit and back it's not difficult at all, and gets easy with practice. I have a 575F, so that's basically the same size boat as those you have mentioned. I launch and retrieve by myself virtually every time and apart from taking a bit longer than with a helper it's never been a problem.

My best bit of advice - get the DVD by Leif Albertson http://www.bia.org.au/video/index.html
I've followed his technique and I highly recommend it. It really isn't difficult. A bit of practice at driving onto the trailer on a quiet day and some close quarters manouevring practice will build you confidence and competence. It's all there in the DVD. I have no affiliation but am happy to recommend something that I reckon is a good product and has helped me.

A boat latch would be a good help - I've bought one but not fitted it yet. It will save climbing over the front and back each time, but if you master the technique without it you'll appreciate it even more. Definately not essential.

Go for it. If you always waited for someone to go with you you'd miss most of the chances.

STUIE63
23-09-2010, 12:07 PM
another vote for the right trailer correctly set up and it is easy .
Stuie

Angla
23-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I launch and retrieve my 575 outsider solo every time. I generally refuse politely if anyone wants to help (friends and relatives included). If they insist then I let them watch me.
The ramp is not specially important but a pontoon is better than a beach area. I have had plenty of people comment on how easy I make it look, and it is easy. The dunbier multiroller is also important to the whole thing. Kawana, Scarborough and Labrador are all very good ramps. Manly (southern end of harbour)is a shallow angle and can be a wee bit tricky at low tide. I also wear socks and sneakers and never get them wet.

Cheers
Chris

bigjimg
23-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Piece of cake,but that comes with experience.The trailer ,as has been said,is the key if not set up correctly will make life difficult and could turn something to enjoy into a painful experience.A pontoon will make life easy for you while you learn the finer points but nothings beats time on the water and repetition.Jim

Vitamin Sea
23-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I will re-iterate what the othe boys have said, need a good trailer and a decent ramp with either a pontoon or a sandy beach.

I put the boat latch on a couple of year ago and it's a piece of cake to launch and retrieve by myself, 1770, South West Rocks, Manly.

Even the mrs thinks it's good

Cheers

VS

GBC
24-09-2010, 04:38 AM
The 543rf is going to be the easiest of all three to handle. If you get a trailer with the gangplank, you'd drive partly on, walk through the windscreen and step down. It will also give you the easiest option of boarding from the bow from a beach situation.
The obvious drawbacks are that there's bugger all superstructure or forward storage room/sleeping room ala outsider. The 602f is a much bigger boat all round from the other two.
I'd buy the boat I liked first then work out the launch/retrieve later. All three are doable one up.

PinHead
24-09-2010, 04:48 AM
had a similar sized boat. I did not drive on..only winched on. trailer was good..launching a piece of cake..retrieve was easy also until there was across wind..had to use a back anchor a couple of times but still readily achievable. Takes a bit longer but don't panic and do things at your own pace and not a problem.

Fiction
26-09-2010, 09:06 PM
have recently purchased a 542f haines although i have launched and retreived on my own it is a little difficuilt. I can usuallu put it in gear and hold when launching then get out and unhook. Same with retreiving can sually drive on all the way and hold in positon in gear. You do need a good centre pontoon boat ramp so you can get in and out easily.

Otherwise it is easy enough to wind off and on.

Looking for some first hand experience from anybody who has Haines Signature 543RF/602F or CruiseCraft 575 Explorers, particularly the ability to launch and retrieve these boats on your loansome. (albeit peoples skills will vary).

My 6 month loaner 13ft tinny was repossessed by its owner and after spending countless weekends being buzzed by jet skis or nearly runover by 52ft monsters in the Gold Coast Broadwater, looking at a bigger boat to expand my horizons.

I tend to do a lot of fishing by myself (no wife/no kids) and mates who say they will come invariably have those things which means 6 am starts at the Gold Coast or Bribie (from Brisbane) dont suit them. Requests to go at "more suitable hours like 10 am to be home by 2 pm" are refused (I go fishing not boating).

Any feedback people have on launching and handling these boats on your own would be appreciated, tips or tricks and particularly if there are any better or worse ramps to launch from in SE Qld region suiting single/short handling (yes I have seen and are considering Boat Latch system). I am based in Brisbane so travel to the Gold Coast/Bribie/Sunshine Coast is generally the preferred area.

Many thanks

Beard1705

Midnight
26-09-2010, 09:38 PM
As previously said, buy the boat you like, and work out the rest afterward.
I have always launched and retrieved my Bertram 25 solo.

A well set up trailer, mine is just teflon skids, and an understanding of what you are trying to achieve, plus a bit of for thought re wind and tide, it shouldn't be a drama.

To launch, I back it down til the transom floats, climb over the front, start her up, climb back over the front, untie the rope tether, climb back up, reverse her off and park it on the pontoon. Then walk back and go and park the Landcrab and trailer.

The retrieve, I just drive it up the trailer at minimum speed, when it gets to the stop, i leave it in gear to hold it there, climb down over the front and tie it up with the tether rope, climb back over the front and shut her down, trim up the leg, hop down and drive away.

My point is, that it is all easily achieved if you just think about it a bit, and come up with a process.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
myles

Beard1705
01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Many thanks to all the advice. Greatly appreciated.

NTMID8
01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Agree totally with everyone, whilst my boat is smaller then the ones your looking at (470f Haines Sig) i have a mackay drive on/off trailer which makes the whole job so easy!
I admit the first time i tried to drive on was a disaster, and the scrap in the gel coat is a constant reminder of the whole "slow and steady wins the race" concept::)
I find it far easier to drive on if i give myself room to align my run on ie dont pull the boat right upto the trailer to drive on, i give myelf about 4-5m then drive on.

lauching couldnt be easier, i back the trailer down until the wheel gaurds are about even with the water level (obviously different for every boat/trailer/ramp) i have my guide rope on, unlatch the boat, jump onto the pontoon and a quick tug the boat slides straight into the water easy as!

As the others have suggested find the boat that you want and practice. If your going to be doing a lot of solo trips i can stress enough that a roller type drive on trailer will be far more forgiving and easier to align than a solid slide type.