PDA

View Full Version : Grip choices

Daintreeboy
21-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi again.
A couple of threads here are showing some great grips. Rather than hijack the threads I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm looking for some grips to go with my new NV9 I've ordered and like what I saw on that mudhole link. Any one else got any suggestions/links on grips, coloured ones etc?

Thanks, Mark.

jerson
22-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Mark,
I,ve seen a grip on a rod which looks like wood grain.
Very nice.
It may be the tan grip on the mud hole site, if so, the photo doesn't do it justice.

jerson

trout head
22-09-2010, 02:22 PM
northeastrodbuilders.com for the first 2 photos , the other photos are mud hole .

Ian

Daintreeboy
22-09-2010, 06:10 PM
That mudhole Red grain was what sparked my interest first time around. Some other nice ones there though.

Mark Fisher
23-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Mark,

Most of the US sites have some type of coloured EVA. I have some ordered from Billy Vivona at the moment and can't wait to get my hands on it. I have also got some really nice EVA from Veristex. There colours seem to be a lot brighter in general. If you haven't turned any EVA before, I would stick to the pre bored cylinders and cut them on a lathe using size D thread. This way you get nice square cuts. I use Selleys Quik Grip as the contact adhesive and it works fine. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards
Mark

finga
23-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Have you thought about timber grips?
Here's a link to one I made up for this years Touchy rod
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=163552

Looks like you've gotten hooked on this rod building caper too eh ;D

Daintreeboy
23-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Nah mate I'm not the one binding them. I'd love to have a crack but I just don't have any of the bits to do it.
I used to do it as a young teenager and have always wanted to get into it again.

Daintreeboy
24-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Anybody had experience with these? Would they go well above the binding pattern between the foregrip and stripper guide?

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Diamond-Wrap

Daintreeboy
28-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Guys I can't seem to source any EVA in that Red/Black grain I mentioned that is pre shaped. How hard is it to shape? I may be stuck here and a mate is after the blue or blue/black grain as well.
Thought it would be easier to get this stuff?

trout head
29-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Here you go , this is my eva foam lath , and eva is simple to shape , I use sand
papper , and cut it with thin nylon .

finga
29-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Mate, shaping gives you a lot better result. You can get the shape that suits, or feels better for yourself. And easy as pie to shape. A bench drill or pedestal drill and away you go.

I'm very fortunate to have a few lathes lying about. They make it a very easy process.

Those pre-made butt wraps seem to work but I cannot say from experience. I'm a dumb ass who has nothing better to do but waste a day or two doing them from scratch.
Why not buy two of the buggers and experiment?? At that price there's not much to lose. :)

grave41
03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Daintreeboy if you live in Brisbane pop around and have some fun picking some out ,
Graham 0409600099

Daintreeboy
04-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Ok i may have gotten away with it here. Would these grips in the 5/8 inch ID suit my purposes? The rod is an NV9 Samurai with an 18mm butt. The rear grip is to be 11 inches and the foregrip 6 inches. Could I therefore cut the 18 inch long overall grip to get my rear grip and foregrip ready to go already tapered?

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/EVA-Grips/Special-Tapered-EVA-Grips-5-8

Mark Fisher
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Mark you should be able to get away with 1/2" inner diameter grips without any problem. Possibly 5/8 for the rear grip but no bigger than 1/2" for the front grip. Try Mudhole tackle for your red and black grain EVA. I know they still stock it. They also do the same in green/black, blue/black and grey/black. You may already do this but try sloshing some metho around the inside of the grip cylinder for 30 seconds, drain off the remaining metho and then slide your grip into place over your glue (Araldite?). This works really well and you shouldn't have any problem fitting a 1/2" inner diameter to an 18mm butt. Remember, don't stop pushing if it starts to bind up. The answer to your question is yes. From memory I think the cylinders are 18" long.

Regards
Mark

Regards
Mark

Mark Fisher
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Mark,

I just had a look in my rod building room and found I have 2 lengths of red/black grain EVA - 1 is 1/2 inch and tapered, the other is 3/4". I knew I had them somewhere in there. You can have them both free of charge if you want them. Send me a message with your address and I can get them of to you ASAP.

Mark