PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid question ?

Kearnsy
21-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Can someone please explain to me what IMO stands for ( is it international marine org ) and how it works ? Thanks maybe silly but still new to me.
Cheers

Marlin_Mike
21-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Can mean International MAritime Organization, look here, http://www.imo.org/

The Convention establishing the International Maritime Organization (IMO) was adopted in Geneva in 1948 and IMO first met in 1959. IMO's main task has been to develop and maintain a comprehensive regulatory framework for shipping and its remit today includes safety, environmental concerns, legal matters, technical co-operation, maritime security (http://www.ausfish.com.au/Safety/mainframe.asp?topic_id=551) and the efficiency of shipping.

or can also mean In My Opinion when used in a post

Mike

Kearnsy
21-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks Mike that makes alot of sense !

lethal098
21-09-2010, 07:41 PM
in some context "In My Opinion"

cheers Lee

White Pointer
21-09-2010, 08:35 PM
G'day,

It's not a stupid question unless you already know the answer.

On this site you will often see IMO (in my opinion) and IMHO (in my humble opinion). You will also see some stuff that defies comprehension but I put that down to being old.

Enjoy,

White Pointer

mangomick
21-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Sometimes you'll see in some posts.....IMHO. In my honest opinion.
Sorry White Pointer you must have posted while I was typing:-[

marto78
22-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I figured out the IMO one but what is LMAO ??

Argle
22-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I figured out the IMO one but what is LMAO ??

That would be laughing my ass off! LMAO!!!

Defore
22-09-2010, 10:18 AM
There is also ROTFLMFAO which translates to ...... Roll On The Floor Laughing My F***king Arse Off.
Usually followed by chocking and gagging ;D

TheRealAndy
22-09-2010, 10:40 AM
BTW. THe IMO sets all the road rules of the water. Its one of two org's that are standardised around the world. The only other one is for aircraft. Thats why you can go to anyport in the world and still have the same nav marks and call up on vh16 and get an english speaking person.

Noelm
23-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Andy is 100% correct, lights and buoys/markers are the same where ever you go, that's why it is nice to know what lights certain boats/ships should have so you can identify if a boat is fishing or engaged in some sort of restricting activity, towing something, anchored, traveling/drifting.

samsnap
23-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm So glad that someone else asked these questions! I'v been stupidly trying to work them out for a while now - BACK TO MY CAVE TO WRITE THE ANS ON THE WALL WITH MY STICK!
sammy :) LOL (my 10yo told me that one!)

GBC
24-09-2010, 04:53 AM
I think you'll find IALA is responsible for the uniform international bouyage system.

Did you hear the one about the Lufthansa pilot requesting a pushback from berlin airport, speaking in German.

The german tower operator replied that he must speak english.

The pilot got the shits "I am a german pilot flying a german plane in a german country with german control - vy must I speak English?"

A beautifully clipped English voice from nowhere beamed in "Because we won the f$%&ing war!"