PDA

View Full Version : My new boat :)

TheRealAndy
21-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Not quite the original fishing boat I was going to buy :P

I signed off on it today. Its 30 years old, and best I have ever seen for its class and age. Now I got to get it from adelaide to brisbane! I actually viewed this boat at crawford marine about 4-5 years ago...

PinHead
21-09-2010, 04:28 PM
that's a bloody big radio aerial sticking up in the middle of it Andy ???

what is on the bum..a big suzuki 4 banger? a verado perhaps? or twins ?

sheesh mate..where is the rocket launcher?

TheRealAndy
21-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Sigh, its actually a 2 banger, johno at that.

GBC
21-09-2010, 05:00 PM
orright what is it? Noelex? I'm not that good with the t.s.'s

Steeler
21-09-2010, 05:51 PM
So that's what the love boat looks like,just needs a black one now hanging off the back and put the Johno up front for an anchor.

Just need to get it home now but that is a different story in itself

TheRealAndy
21-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Its a binks 25, more or less the same hull as the noelex but half the price. Maybe I should sail it back to Brissie :P

TheRealAndy
21-09-2010, 07:27 PM
BTW, need to get myself home first. The flight out of adelaide does not leave till 8.30, been here since 3.30pm. Only 1 1/2 hours to go, provided they let me on.

No offence to anyone from Adelaide (Timmy excluded) but man this place sucks. Only 3 direct flights a day brisbane...

Steeler
21-09-2010, 07:29 PM
You would think there would be more flights with everybody trying to get the heck outa there.

shrunken pojie
21-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Very nice. Where are you going to sail out of?

D river
22-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Yeah have fun taking a week to get anywhere in that mate. you could have got a nice plate boat for that coin ey. But each to his own.

TheRealAndy
22-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Very nice. Where are you going to sail out of?

Shorncliffe.

Yeah have fun taking a week to get anywhere in that mate. you could have got a nice plate boat for that coin ey. But each to his own.

Pffft, plate? I am plastic fantastic all the way, would never own a plate boat!

I bought it to race, so I only intend to get to the finish line faster than anyone else!

Defore
22-09-2010, 10:06 AM
The RealAndy what have you done????????? :o:o:o

You've gone over to the darkside.

I been trying to convert my brother (who is also Andy) from the wind brigade to the motor brigade for years, but he calls all power boat "Stink Boats"

I must admit the money he saves on fuel is impressive WHAT AM I SAYING :-X:-X:-X ............................... got to resist the darkside.

TheRealAndy
22-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I still call my power boat a stinky!

Surprisingly, the wife said why cant we buy a new power boat last night. Hmmm, can I justify 3 boats?

Need a name for the boat now. First sailboat I have bought that does not have a name.

gawby
22-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Young Jessica Watson might sail it up here for you. lol

Benno1
22-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Shes a peach Andy...sleek comfortable...change of pace...hey hows about that for a name???

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

murf
22-09-2010, 01:49 PM
top stuff Andy :)

how many bunks will have for next years M&G at Agnes Water out at Lady Musgrave?

cheers Murf

Chimo
22-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi TRA

I guess theres a good reason why you shopped in Adelaide instead of getting the one in Qld already? http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9312281

Cheers
Chimo

TheRealAndy
22-09-2010, 03:50 PM
top stuff Andy :)

how many bunks will have for next years M&G at Agnes Water out at Lady Musgrave?

cheers Murf

If i took that out on the good fishing days I would not make it. If I took it out on the good sailing days, you lads would be to scared to go fishing!

Hi TRA

I guess theres a good reason why you shopped in Adelaide instead of getting the one in Qld already? http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9312281

Cheers
Chimo

There is 2 in qld. The SA one was in better nick. The dearest one in QLD was probably the worst and he would not move far enough on price. The one in cairns looks ok, buts has been refurbed for cruising, so too much weight. I guess I could have stripped out the guts of the Cairns one but I wanted to sail straight away with no work.

TheRealAndy
28-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Its on the truck now, should be at least halfway between adelaide and brisbane, probably closer to brisbane.

Missed out on the St Helena cup this weekend, but rest assured I will be assaulting all you stink boat owners very soon!!!

murf
28-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Its on the truck now, should be at least halfway between adelaide and brisbane, probably closer to brisbane.

Missed out on the St Helena cup this weekend, but rest assured I will be assaulting all you stink boat owners very soon!!!

you have insulted us already mate :P

cheers Murf

sid_fishes
28-09-2010, 06:40 PM
now mate , dont get me wrong
buts its a rag and stick
geez

TheRealAndy
01-10-2010, 08:56 PM
now mate , dont get me wrong
buts its a rag and stick
geez

Well the boat with the rag and the stick turned up today! Unfortunatly by the time it was off the truck and I had rewired the trailer it was too late to get it to the yacht riggers to get the new bits of wire made up to hold the stick in place. Needs a few other bits done as well, so I know what I will be upto this weekend... Not sailing>:(

And next weekend have a mates weeding on Sat, and sisters wedding on Sunday.>:(>:(

murf
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
so ya need a job like mine for time mate ;)

is it all good bar the few things you know you will have to fix?

cheers Murf

White Pointer
01-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Well the boat with the rag and the stick turned up today! Unfortunatly by the time it was off the truck and I had rewired the trailer it was too late to get it to the yacht riggers to get the new bits of wire made up to hold the stick in place. Needs a few other bits done as well, so I know what I will be upto this weekend... Not sailing>:(

And next weekend have a mates weeding on Sat, and sisters wedding on Sunday.>:(>:(

G'day,

Why are you going to weddings which (statistically) have a 30% success rate when this important work need to be done which must have a 100% success rate.

Where are your priorities man!

Regards,

White Pointer

TheRealAndy
01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
so ya need a job like mine for time mate ;)

is it all good bar the few things you know you will have to fix?

cheers Murf

Yeah murf, she is an absolute cracker. Needs 1 new sidestay, but I will replace all stays just to be safe. I will also remove all mast fittings and refit with duralac whilst the mast is down. Also going to replace all the ropes in the mast. I dont plan to have the mast down again for some time so might as well get it all sorted now.

The rest of the stuff is just things like new battery, flares, fire extinguisher. Going to clean out fresh water tank and sterelise it too.

G'day,

Why are you going to weddings which (statistically) have a 30% success rate when this important work need to be done which must have a 100% success rate.

Where are your priorities man!

Regards,

White Pointer

Ahh, yeah i know. I could get out of my sisters wedding as she is just eloping. But my mates, tough ask. Sometimes you just have to suffer it out!

Lancair
01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
[quote=TheRealAndy;1211014] Also going to replace all the ropes in the mast./quote]

:o :o :o :o And you call yourself a sailor ? ? ? ? :o :o :o :o

:) Ropes in the mast ? ? I sincerley hope that was for the benefit of the stink boat captains on here who might not know a halyard from a rope. ;D ;D

Lancair

TheRealAndy
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
[quote=TheRealAndy;1211014] Also going to replace all the ropes in the mast./quote]

:o :o :o :o And you call yourself a sailor ? ? ? ? :o :o :o :o

:) Ropes in the mast ? ? I sincerley hope that was for the benefit of the stink boat captains on here who might not know a halyard from a rope. ;D ;D

Lancair

Yeah Lancair, you got it! I figured if I said I have to replace all the halyards then 99% of AF would have no idea what I was talking about!

Trust me, I have been sailing for aobut 20+ years now, only been stinkying for about 3 or 4 years.:P

Lancair
02-10-2010, 08:23 AM
I figured that was the case.
One of my favourite questions is to ask someone how many ropes are on a sailing boat or any boat for that matter ?

Lancair

TheRealAndy
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I figured that was the case.
One of my favourite questions is to ask someone how many ropes are on a sailing boat or any boat for that matter ?

Lancair

I have heaps of ropes, they're the things that have no fixed purpose!

Well I found a place that made rigging at scarborough today, Boat Harbour Marine, and what a find. This is to be my new chandlery store, I have never met a more helpfull person (cant remember his name, will edit post when it comes to me)

Got the new sidestays and forestay on and the mast up, so hopefully I can tidy up the rest of the stuff tomorrow morning and do an on water test.

sid_fishes
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I still call my power boat a stinky!

Surprisingly, the wife said why cant we buy a new power boat last night. Hmmm, can I justify 3 boats?

Need a name for the boat now. First sailboat I have bought that does not have a name.

"rag and stick" comes to my mind for a name

sorry, i could not help myself
ian

jm82
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
If you need any help with sails, crew, spares or advice , my brother is a well known sailor in brisbane and has worked on Black Jack and a few other high end offshore racing boats ,

feel free to PM and i can pass on his details mate,

Cheers
and Happy sailing

Josh

PinHead
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
[quote=Lancair;1211021]

Yeah Lancair, you got it! I figured if I said I have to replace all the halyards then 99% of AF would have no idea what I was talking about!

Trust me, I have been sailing for aobut 20+ years now, only been stinkying for about 3 or 4 years.:P

LOL Andy and Lancair.... a halyard is? a piece of rope. the term halyard just describes what is is for.

I often wonder regarding sailing boats.

In the many centuries of man's evolution, we have gone through many progressive stages.
I would imagine that originally man would have jumped on something floating by..had a few grunts then thought..not comfortable but I can move down the river easily.

NEXT...hmmmmmmmmmmmm...look that log floats also but a bit bloody uncomfortable to sit on..so he hollowed it out..the first canoe.(these still have their uses in skinny waterways.

Following on he eventually made the first "boat"..and then devised some primitive oars.

THEN..someone probably put some bark inthe air..the wind grabbed it..another stroke of genius..the sail was born.

So sailing ships set forth after many years to all part of the globe (hopefully not going to fall off the egde of the planet).

Much later the steam engine was fitted to a ship..and with sails..easier passage.

Then ..dump the sails..not worth the effort.

Then the internal combustion engine...better design...no need for bloody great things sticking down under the boat.

Better boat and engine design..safer, faster and more reliable boating.

Amazing how man has evolved isn't it?

YET..some still live way back in the past..stick in the air..sheet flapping from it..as the power boats cruise by..these neanderthals of the sea persist.

Who really cares what a halyard is..except to haul the yards.

LOL..enjoy the new boat Andy.

Marlin_Mike
02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Rag Boats........bloody norah.................:):):)

TheRealAndy
02-10-2010, 08:36 PM
If you need any help with sails, crew, spares or advice , my brother is a well known sailor in brisbane and has worked on Black Jack and a few other high end offshore racing boats ,

feel free to PM and i can pass on his details mate,

Cheers
and Happy sailing

Josh

MAte he's probably leagues ahead of a 30 year old trailer sailer! Cheers for the heads up though. Maybe I can get a job on some of the boats he works on :)

[quote=TheRealAndy;1211025]

LOL Andy and Lancair.... a halyard is? a piece of rope. the term halyard just describes what is is for.

I often wonder regarding sailing boats.

In the many centuries of man's evolution, we have gone through many progressive stages.
I would imagine that originally man would have jumped on something floating by..had a few grunts then thought..not comfortable but I can move down the river easily.

NEXT...hmmmmmmmmmmmm...look that log floats also but a bit bloody uncomfortable to sit on..so he hollowed it out..the first canoe.(these still have their uses in skinny waterways.

Following on he eventually made the first "boat"..and then devised some primitive oars.

THEN..someone probably put some bark inthe air..the wind grabbed it..another stroke of genius..the sail was born.

So sailing ships set forth after many years to all part of the globe (hopefully not going to fall off the egde of the planet).

Much later the steam engine was fitted to a ship..and with sails..easier passage.

Then ..dump the sails..not worth the effort.

Then the internal combustion engine...better design...no need for bloody great things sticking down under the boat.

Better boat and engine design..safer, faster and more reliable boating.

Amazing how man has evolved isn't it?

YET..some still live way back in the past..stick in the air..sheet flapping from it..as the power boats cruise by..these neanderthals of the sea persist.

Who really cares what a halyard is..except to haul the yards.

LOL..enjoy the new boat Andy.

Ahh pinhead, only a sailor understands.

I was peering up at the top of the mast today, for a 25foot boat it has one bloody huge stick. Should be a quick boat!

trymyluck
02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
So when does the other half turn up??????????:-?:-?;D;D

There is 2 hulls isn't there.;D;D

TheRealAndy
03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
So when does the other half turn up??????????:-?:-?;D;D

There is 2 hulls isn't there.;D;D

Actually, I would have preferred a cat, much faster. Only problem is my hardstand space and current budget can only accomodate a monohull :(

GBC
03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
If you're ever short a crew give us a yell. Haven't raced for 5 years - since the Kingfisher interclub series 2005, which we were fortunate enough to take out. Good luck with it. Another entrant for the bay to bay?

trymyluck
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Actually, I would have preferred a cat, much faster. Only problem is my hardstand space and current budget can only accomodate a monohull :(

Maybe you should get hold of Steve(Apollo) and annoy him to put his cat in the water some time, its growing cobwebs and he is getting fat.........:-X;D

TheRealAndy
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
If you're ever short a crew give us a yell. Haven't raced for 5 years - since the Kingfisher interclub series 2005, which we were fortunate enough to take out. Good luck with it. Another entrant for the bay to bay?

I have got crew lined up at the moment, but I think there is one I cant rely on, so stay tuned.

Definatly going to do the bay to bay, among others.

Maybe you should get hold of Steve(Apollo) and annoy him to put his cat in the water some time, its growing cobwebs and he is getting fat.........:-X;D

He has a cat with sails?

trymyluck
03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
He has a cat with sails?

Last time he had it out it had sails, unless the he needed some tissues at some time in a hurry then it should still have em, although he may need some coaching now as it has been a while.............;D;D;D

shrunken pojie
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Definatly going to do the bay to bay, among others.
See you there! But only at gary's. :P

TheRealAndy
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Last time he had it out it had sails, unless the he needed some tissues at some time in a hurry then it should still have em, although he may need some coaching now as it has been a while.............;D;D;D

Well I never new this... Need more details on the cat now! Where is it based and how big is it?

I put my boat in the water today for a few hours to figure out where I need to spend the cash. Since getting it here I have managed to drop a cool $700 on rigging, a battery and shackles and various bits of crap. Friggin battery was $300, trojan 130ah.

Everything seems to work ok, even the ol (1996) johno 9.9. Bit smokey and needs a new impellor but started 3rd pull. Its pumping water, but could do with a little more flow. Since found out its got electric start but cant find a start button anywhere.

Only thing that seems to need attention is the spinniker setup. Need new sheets, new downhaul for the pole, new tweakers and a new halyard (happy lancair ;D).

So I think another 2-3 hundred and its good. Everyone who has seen it reckons I got a steal, and could spend another 10k before over capitalising. Plan is to sail the next 3-4 club races then I will order a new main and jib (sails), which I reckon will cost another $3000.

trymyluck
03-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Well I never new this... Need more details on the cat now! Where is it based and how big is it?

I put my boat in the water today for a few hours to figure out where I need to spend the cash. Since getting it here I have managed to drop a cool $700 on rigging, a battery and shackles and various bits of crap. Friggin battery was $300, trojan 130ah.

Everything seems to work ok, even the ol (1996) johno 9.9. Bit smokey and needs a new impellor but started 3rd pull. Its pumping water, but could do with a little more flow. Since found out its got electric start but cant find a start button anywhere.

Only thing that seems to need attention is the spinniker setup. Need new sheets, new downhaul for the pole, new tweakers and a new halyard (happy lancair ;D).

So I think another 2-3 hundred and its good. Everyone who has seen it reckons I got a steal, and could spend another 10k before over capitalising. Plan is to sail the next 3-4 club races then I will order a new main and jib (sails), which I reckon will cost another $3000.

Jeeze you would have to ask Steve, its about 6m, trailered. gets along ok. Can not think of the name, but its taken a back seat to his young family but I'd think it won't be long before his youngest puts the hard word on him to dust it off.........:-X;D

Defore
04-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Now all you have to fit is a Crow's Nest and a Plank ;D

TheRealAndy
28-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Speaking of bay to bay, guess where I am off tomorrow!

Hey GBC, looks like I might be short of a crew for the QCYC winter series, if you are keen let me know!