PDA

View Full Version : Easy Retrieve, Launch

ozassassin
21-09-2010, 03:52 PM
After catching the bug looking at all the work (Marty) Captain Seaweed has done on his boat, I decided to put my not so good stainless welding skills to the test.... and go ahead and make myself up an easy retrieve and launch. This is so when I go out by myself it makes it so much easier to get the boat on and off the trailer, I should of done this a long time ago, but could not make my mind up on how to attack it, but I think I have nailed it, Tell me what do you think.

Eric

littlemac
21-09-2010, 05:12 PM
hi eric,

looks pretty goog to me. maybe you should through a patend on it and start selling.

well done

cheers

brett

wetryin
22-09-2010, 10:06 PM
How do you launch and retrieve as I cant see it from the pics.
Went thru the same situation recently. Problem is is with my boat is that after driving the bar crusher on the trailer all I have to do is just knock it slightly and she'll slide back off the trailer. Bought the real thing (l&r boat latch) as I dont have the time or the patience to make it myself for the $$$ they were asking.
Had to put a couple of new rollers to the trailer so the boat would self centre and align to the latch (had to have a second go at driving on with the standard easytow trailer boat rollers), and also installed another piece of plate steel over the bolts of the latch to prevent someone else thinking they might like it and remove it for their trailer. I also had the problem (that most other boat owners dont have) where barcrusher standard trailers have a winch post not set at the standard (I think 30 degree) angle. should work well now.

Yet to try it after the new boat rollers put in as had last weekend not launching with the seas up.

ozassassin
23-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I can see where you’re coming from Wetryin,

But the thing is all I need to do now is unlatch everything and roll the boat back onto the cable.

Hang the safety chain onto the cable, drive forward and the weight of the chain is enough to pull down on the cable I then ease up on the throttle and boat rolls back off of the trailer.

Putting the boat back onto the trailer, all I do is remove the safety chain off of the cable the cable has enough tension to hold in the right position drive up the cable runs down the guide flicks up.

Once I nudge the winch post ease off on the throttle the boat come to rest supported by the cable, jump off wind up, set safety chain the rest is just common knowledge.

Eric

wetryin
24-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Ozy,
I get you now. Very different to the packaged version but as a much cheaper option I can see now how it works after thinking about it. And probably no one much would want to remove it from your trailer when you are out on the water.
Love to see some pics on launcing and retrieving instead of the tied to the trailer version high and dry if you get some time in the next few months.

Mr__Bean
25-09-2010, 06:33 AM
I should of done this a long time ago, but could not make my mind up on how to attack it, but I think I have nailed it, Tell me what do you think.

Eric

I think you have done very well, but be careful, design rights probably do reside here: http://www.###############.au/Flyer.pdf

For those interested, here is how easy this system works: http://www.###############.au/##########.wmv

- Darren

tropicrows
25-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I should of done this a long time ago, but could not make my mind up on how to attack it, but I think I have nailed it, Tell me what do you think.

Eric

Made the same thing a year or so ago, works a treat. Makes launching and retreiving by yourself a breeze. ;)

Gippslander
28-09-2010, 06:22 PM
What is the brand, where did you buy it and how much was it Wetryin? It looks simple and relatively fool proof.

wetryin
01-10-2010, 05:26 AM
L & R Boat latch. From the brissy boat show. Needs a couple more self centering rollers to perfectly align it right every time as there is too much play in the easytow rollers.

madmackrel
01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Wetryin dont forget about disimilar metals reacting, did you use any duralac or similar type of product
Cheers MM8-)