PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Maintenance

ozassassin
21-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Finely found the time to get the boat off the trailer, after spending 3 weekends making up boat stands, making sure they were going to be strong enough to hold her up, and after testing for strength and stability.

Out came the trailer and into the shed for 4 days, for maintenance, replaced all wheel bearings checked braking system replaced any faulty parts also checked for any damage.

Then come the good part spray painting the whole of the trailer, firstly soaked the whole thing with a good coating of Penetrol rust treatment let stand for 24hrs, then spent another whole day spray painting the whole thing with Tectyl 506.

Once I was happy with the results it was just a matter of pushing the trailer back out of the shed, pushing trailer back under the boat, lower stands job done.
Now the best thing is I will always have the boat stands handy for my yearly maintenance and for any other reason I need to get the boat off of the trailer, it only takes ½ hour and boats off of the trailer to do whatever I need to do.

Tickleish
21-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Nice job oz, I drive by your boat every day and was wondering what was going on.

You can do mine now.

ozassassin
21-09-2010, 08:33 AM
No problems Tickleish, You should drop in one day and say G'day.

Eric

Tickleish
21-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Will do.

We can talk boats - I've got the little brother to your rig.

Argle
21-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Nice work mate, yeah Im another Redlander that drives past your place on occasion, my kids were asking me what happened to your trailer! Now I can tell them!

Cheers
Scott

charleville
21-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I reckon that you might inspire a few of us with welders to do the same thing.

Well done! The savings in the deferred cost of trailer replacement would more than easily justify the cost of those boat stands that you made.

timddo
21-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I would think a small business. boat stand rentals is on the cards.

bearessentials
21-09-2010, 11:59 AM
well done, you only forgot one step.... trying to remove the tectyl off the floor of your shed... good luck....

ozassassin
21-09-2010, 02:27 PM
well done, you only forgot one step.... trying to remove the tectyl off the floor of your shed... good luck....

Your right about that bearessentials, i never would of thought how hard it would be to get it off, I know one thing the floor of the shed will never rust, now I just make sure I always wear shoes or something on my feet.
Otherwise you walk it everywhere you go, and the wife if you do, well let’s just say she’s not to impressed, so I’ve had to go and lay old carpet down to cover it and to stop the kids running it everywhere.

Eric

Angla
21-09-2010, 02:46 PM
The women just have no sense of humour.

Very nice and thorough job of the trailer.

Cheers
Chris

ozassassin
21-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Will do.

We can talk boats - I've got the little brother to your rig.

We can talk boats Tickleish if you like, but then we will need to start doing some serious talking.... about getting out and doing some fishing.

Eric