PDA

View Full Version : Marlin board noise

Goochi
20-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm after some feedback from boat owners with a marlin board hanging out the back. I am considering adding a hull extension type pod with a marlin board to my 18ft fibreglass fishing rig and have not been in a boat with one. Do marlin boards make an annoying amout of noise when you are rocking around in the the slop?

Noelm
21-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I guess the answer is yes and no, some do, some dont, and it also depends on your interpretation of annoying, I have been in all sorts of sized boats, some sound like a Whale breaching, some just "slop"

Goochi
21-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Have you thought about what makes the difference. Is it as simple as the higher the board the less likely it is to have swell get trapped under it. Does the shape on the under side of the board make a difference?

Noelm
21-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I guess the height is the key, if it is just near the water, it will dip under and flop on the surface, and then flip up and make noise, too high and you cannot get on it from the water, it is just something you get used to I guess.

GBC
21-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Be real careful with sizing and placement on an 18ft boat as they bite the water and will drive your stern under while backing down if not correctly placed.

Goochi
21-09-2010, 07:24 PM
GBC, have you been in a boat when it has done this - sounds like it could get too exciting too quickly. If it was your boat would you put one on?

Midnight
21-09-2010, 07:42 PM
If you make the "board' out of stainless mesh or a stainless frame and hard wood timber planks with a gap in between, you will eliminate most of the problems.

If you must make it out of something solid, then drill a 1" hole in each corner to let the air breathe out from underneath it. It will "woosh" a bit, but at least it won't bang in the slop.

Cheers,
Myles

GBC
22-09-2010, 05:36 AM
As midnight said, there's plenty of ways to design around the issue if you know about it beforehand. Yes, our savage bluefin had a board, and yes it'd give us a shower sometimes. If your boat is a self bailer then its not so big of an issue. Perforated material is better for obvious reasons, and keeping it high enough and small enough so that when backing down it doesn't get driven under the water enough to upset the trim of the boat.

Goochi
22-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks Midnight and GBC, gives me a few new idea's.