PDA

View Full Version : Nabbed mud-crabber handed $30,000 fine

GraemeW
20-09-2010, 01:16 PM
As reported by Courier Mail (Monday 20 September 2010)

A COUPLE of fishing trips have cost a man $30,000 after he was caught with more than 100 undersized and female mud crabs.

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin said the man from Inala was caught in targeted raids by Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol officers last November and December.

As well as being found in possession of 52 undersized crabs and 49 female crabs, the man was charged with using unmarked crab pots and possessing a commercial fishing net without a licence.
He appeared in Redcliffe Magistrates Court on September 1 where he was found guilty and fined.

``With such a myriad of offences it is good to see Magistrates taking a hard line on large scale fisheries offences,'' said Mr Mulherin.
``I'd like to congratulate QBFP officers who did an exceptional job in catching the offender who had been deliberately flouting the law for significant financial gain.'
He said more than $135,000 in fines had been handed out this year for crabbing offences alone.

``While the vast majority of fishers know the rules and follow them, there are those who are prepared to deliberately and continually break the law for their own gain,'' said Mr Mulherin.
``These people need to be caught and prosecuted as their actions threaten the sustainability of our fish stocks.''

QBFP senior compliance officer Michael Mikitis said 94 per cent of fishers did the right thing.
``Most recreational fishers who go out to enjoy a good day's fishing don't break Queensland's rules and regulations,'' said Mr Mikitis.

``However, there is always the small minority who chose to do the wrong thing.

nigelr
20-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Now this is a 'good news' story!

coraltrout68
20-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately fisheries don't have the resources to catch everyone doing this type of thing.

4x4frog
20-09-2010, 05:34 PM
It is great to see they are publishing the court proceedings and fine amounts.
It's also refreshing to read he was a 'man' and not a rec fisher/angler/fisherman as they usually report.

TimiBoy
21-09-2010, 06:09 AM
I wonder how they know that "94% of Fishers do the right thing."

Cheers,

Tim

mangomick
21-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Of every 100 people fishing 5% wear yellow raincoats and he wasnt. So thats 6%............. That must leave 94% doing the right thing.:P

SeaHunt
21-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't think that many people in Inala had a spare 30 grand lying around, otherwise they would be living somewhere else.
Why don't they put his name in the report, or say what he was doing with all those crabs?
In those small country town newspapers if anyone does anything, like drink driving they are named and since everyone knows everyone out there, there is a certain amount of shame involved.
When was the last time you saw a Nevil Nobody named in the courier mail for drink driving?
It is a different story if you are famous of course.:P

royslaven
21-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Of every 100 people fishing 5% wear yellow raincoats and he wasnt. So thats 6%............. That must leave 94% doing the right thing.:P
His name was published in yesterdays courier mail, and he was, and i,ve just checked the article online, and his name is not mentioned, but let,s just say it.s not smith.
royslaven

GraemeW
22-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Name of person was >> Thai Hoc Nguyen of Inala

I wouldn't think that many people in Inala had a spare 30 grand lying around, otherwise they would be living somewhere else.
Why don't they put his name in the report, or say what he was doing with all those crabs?
In those small country town newspapers if anyone does anything, like drink driving they are named and since everyone knows everyone out there, there is a certain amount of shame involved.
When was the last time you saw a Nevil Nobody named in the courier mail for drink driving?
It is a different story if you are famous of course.:P

mangomick
22-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Well in that case, I've no idea where they got their 94% from .;D