PDA

View Full Version : Barcrusher skiing

henno
20-09-2010, 10:46 AM
This may seem a silly question on a fishing bulletin but here goes anyway. I am thinking of up grading to a Barcrusher 620C with a 175 ETec. I am familiar with the pros and cons of this boat as a fishing boat but the family also like to do some social skiing and my young bloke is 6 foot 2 and we pull him out of deep water starts on one ski. So her's the question - has anyone had any experience using a Barcrusher for skiing and how did it go?

Spot82
20-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey mate,

Mate has a 620 Barcrusher powered by a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke and we ski behind it regularly. We are all 6'1 and 70-90kg and that has no worries doing deep water starts on a single ski.

With a 175 Etec you would have a much better jump out of the hole than the 4 banger too.

Anthony

Argle
20-09-2010, 11:12 AM
The only thing I could see being a problem would be on initial take off being a bit slow due to the flooded keel needing some forward motion to drain, he might drag a little bit but if he's a reasonable sort of skiier that shouldnt be a drama. Once up and planing it would be just fine. Depends on how much skiing you want to do it may be a bit more of an issue if you wanted to pull say two bigger guys up, but even then a bit of a drag to empty the keel and away you go.
I think the Surtees boats had a device that you could actually close the flooded keel? Might be worth a look.

Cheers
Scott

Pazz01
20-09-2010, 11:13 AM
No experience with a bar crusher, but have had plenty of experience with water skiing in general behind outboards, inboards and social and race boats.

My advice, put a smaller prop on it when skiing than normal. Will give it more power out of the hull but not top end. Will rev a bit harder too. Depending on how good your son is at skiing he might be able to get out on the normal prop.

A four blade will also assist, but the cost vs benefits need to be considered.

Pazz

BigMav
27-09-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a barcrusher 620c and although I haven't skied behind it yet I know that the ski pole is only rated to 90kg. Anybody gone above this? It looks like a solid enough pole but I'm pushing 100kg. I have no doubt that the etec will be capable enough to pull me along but don't want to damage anything. Might be best to start on 2 skis and drop one to reduce drag on take off. Food for thought.

sam687
02-03-2015, 11:26 AM
i know this is an old topic, but how did you go with using the pole for skiing. Was it strong enough to hold your weigth? as i know everything has a large factor of safety.

Im looking to wake board behind my 640WR

Cheers

Prowl n Wolf
02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Hey mate,
I had a 560c crusher about 10 years ago that came with the ski pole and off memory, I think it was only rated to 80kg.

Not sure if it has changed since then but I was always concerned pulling the kids on the tube whether it was safe.

Cheers,
Tony.

sam687
02-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Tony. Was it because it didn't look strong enough and you could see flex or you just felt uneasy.

Prowl n Wolf
02-03-2015, 03:40 PM
It looked solid mate. It probably is a manufacturers safety net in regards to the 80kg rating.

It was always in the back of my mind and I remember constantly asking the misses about the kids weight.

Moonlighter
02-03-2015, 06:43 PM
i know this is an old topic, but how did you go with using the pole for skiing. Was it strong enough to hold your weigth? as i know everything has a large factor of safety.

Im looking to wake board behind my 640WR

Cheers

Have a look at you bait board and how it slots into the boat. The ski pole fits into the exact same hole.

If it is the same as my Surtees, and the BC was copied from the Surtees so that is likely, when you look closely, the pole fits into a hole thru the deck and the lower end fits into a semi-circle hole. So towing a skier is asking that setup to take the load and the leverage to that lower plate where the pole slots into. I would be careful about how much load you expect that setup to take. Even if the ski pole was to go all the way thru the lower plate, it is still a fair ask, I reckon.

mitc69
03-03-2015, 07:53 AM
poor boat LOL

hainsofast
03-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Con - it has an etec

MyWay
03-03-2015, 07:22 PM
I towed ones with my BC 560c Haines Hunter v17 from Peel island back to Raby Bay ramp .
ski pole handled with no problem