PDA

View Full Version : Boat transport from Adelaide to Brisbane

TheRealAndy
20-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Just put a deposit down on a 26 foot trailer sailer at hindmarsh island. Its on a dual axle trailer, weight is just shy of 2t.

I am flying down tomorrow for the inspection, and all going well I will be buying a boat.

So now the question remains on how to get it back to Brissie. I dont really want to drive down and tow back, so hoping to get it onto a truck. Anyone have any pointers or can recommend any transport companies?

smashed crabs
20-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Transport will cost you an arm an a leg bloke from SA to Brissy , best you find someone to tow her back with a 4WD or do it yourself , i worked out of SA for a while and had to get an offroad site office pulled back to Townsville from Ceduna , transport cost was just over 7grand on a backload and that was a good price for at the time when things where quiet . Transport has gone crazy in and out of SA with all the mining and new projects going on down there , i will contact me mate who works for a transport company in Ceduna , might be able to find you a semi on backload but dont hold your breath bloke , It's first in first serve right now

Cheers SC

Noelm
20-09-2010, 09:59 AM
I will see if I can find the name of the guy that picked my boat up, he does a Melbourne to Brisbane run, but might do a quick detour for cash, he had a big tilt tray, if the trailer is good, it is cheaper if he tows it, because he can tow one and put one on the tray.

Noelm
20-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I guess you could fly down, hire a one way 4X4 and at least only have to drive one way, but that is a not so cheap option either

TheRealAndy
20-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Cheers. I figured it would cost a few thousand $ but if its much more then I will just do the fly drive or might even just drive there and back.

TimiBoy
20-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I could have my arm twisted to drive down end of November and tow it back, if you met me for the trip back, a week into December.

Currently planning to fly (going to the Cricket), but the cost is barely more to drive, once flights and hire car are done.

Cheers,

tim

TheRealAndy
20-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Cheers Timmy, but if I buy it and transport is to exxy will be flying down friday to tow it back over the weekend.. I hope. Still got to inspect it yet!!

MyWay
20-09-2010, 12:17 PM
if you go true company it is bit exxy but go to truck stops around there as so many trucks going back empty
I had quotas from guys as 1500 to 2000 for boat and trailer.

wrxhoon
20-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I hope its ok with mods to put this up, if not delete.
This mob will do it for you at a reasonable price around the $2-2500 k mark I would think. I had a 22' boat send form Sydney to Perth for $3600. They will put it on a traytop as long as she is not to high . If tha trailer is registered and roadworthy you can get it done cheaper by some one else that will tow behind their truck. Its not worth your effort and fuel bill to tow it yourself . A return trip from Brissy to Adelaide is around the 4100 km, you will need around the 650 ltrs of diesel + days .
Alistair Mackie - 0417 739 907 or 0407 946 620 CBC transport.

TheRealAndy
20-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I hope its ok with mods to put this up, if not delete.
This mob will do it for you at a reasonable price around the $2-2500 k mark I would think. I had a 22' boat send form Sydney to Perth for $3600. They will put it on a traytop as long as she is not to high . If tha trailer is registered and roadworthy you can get it done cheaper by some one else that will tow behind their truck. Its not worth your effort and fuel bill to tow it yourself . A return trip from Brissy to Adelaide is around the 4100 km, you will need around the 650 ltrs of diesel + days .
Alistair Mackie - 0417 739 907 or 0407 946 620 CBC transport.

I was trying to figure out the cost of flying and driving. Flight from bne to adl is about $250. Car hire (4wd) about 200/day. Fuel from adl to bne, i would guess to be around $500. That adds up to $1600 based on the fact that hire car is for min 3 days.

wrxhoon
20-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I was trying to figure out the cost of flying and driving. Flight from bne to adl is about $250. Car hire (4wd) about 200/day. Fuel from adl to bne, i would guess to be around $500. That adds up to $1600 based on the fact that hire car is for min 3 days.

As long as you have allowed for 4WD hire and drop off to Brissy in that the rest is fine . 2100 km you will need around the 400 lts of diesel, a lot more if you hire a petrol 4WD.

TheRealAndy
21-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Ok, wrxhoon, back to your contacts. Looking like the cost of 4wd hire is closer to the $1500-2000 mark.

Aussie123
21-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Give this company a call for a quote,fantastic to deal with.
http://www.trewintransport.com.au/index.html

finding_time
21-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Your in exactally the same boat as i was in about 8 years ago! i brought my UB in Adelaide and had the devils own time getting anyone to bring it back so in the end i drove down and back to get the boat myself. i grabbed a second driver , left Monday arvo at 4pm arrived in Adelaide at 3.30 pm tuesday to pick-up and pay for the boat and arrived back in Brisbane at 6.00pm Wednesday!! It's around a 4200km round trip we drove to just out of Bourke then had a camp in swags for a few hours then from Bourke to Wilcania down 320 km's of dirt , then straight through to Adelaide on the way home we didn't take that road and went through Cobar to avoid dirt roads we also had a camp just short of Broken Hill for around 6 hours! From memory all cost including food and Coffee( lots of that ) was around $650 , saved me a bundle but you have to like a drive and i personally love to drive around Aus!!

Ian

TheRealAndy
21-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I do like the idea of driving. Budget reckon they might have a 4wd in Adelaide on friday, which needs to go back to brisbane so have quoted me $500 if it goes ahead.

Mr__Bean
21-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Keep your eye on this site too.

http://www.apollocamper.com/reloc.aspx

Campers don't have towbars but I reckon the 4wd's would.

- Darren

White Pointer
21-09-2010, 08:31 PM
G'day,

If you hire something make sure it has a towbar. Most renters don't and their insurance says you can't.

If it has a towbar find out what the light coupling is. Converters can be expensive and are not always wired right. The SA folks seem to like the large round fittings.

How heavy is the BMT? If it is over 2-tonne it should have driven brakes and that means compatibility of systems.

If all this checks out and you need a driver, PM me and I'll put you in touch with a bloke in Brisbane who was a truckie and is looking for work.

Regards,

White Pointer

Spin
21-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I do like the idea of driving. Budget reckon they might have a 4wd in Adelaide on friday, which needs to go back to brisbane so have quoted me $500 if it goes ahead.

Who is this person Andy?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WORTH-LOOK-/250695045403?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item3a5e96d11b

TheRealAndy
22-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Managed to find a truck looking for a job back to Brisbane early next week. JV Transport, doing it for 2k. I was kinda looking foward to doing the drive, but it works out so much easier this way.