PDA

View Full Version : SARCA, Cooper, or Manson Supreme anchor???

snodger 08
19-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi just wondering if there is much of a difference between these anchors?
Do they both retrieve off reef well? and does the Manson hold the bottom as well as the SARCA?
Does the Cooper get down deep as quick as the heavier anchors?
Cheers

Steve

Jarrah Jack
19-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you looked at the Cooper as well. Been thinking of getting one of those..worth a google...

snodger 08
19-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks Jack, just had a look. For the price, which is about 1/4 of the SARCA, its probably worth a go hey. I just wonder how they would go getting down in the deep, 50 or 70m with a running tide?
Probably be alright hey.
It would probably solve the problem of buying a bowsprit for more than the cost of the anchor.
Might give it a go.
Has anyone used one of these?
Steve

Tickleish
19-09-2010, 01:29 PM
The boat i recently purchased had a cooper with.

I was a bit suss at first but after using it i'm converted. Their great if you don't have a lot of room, and the first time i used it i simulated bad situations and it came through with flying colours.

PS this is on a 5.5m fibreglass boat.

snodger 08
19-09-2010, 01:34 PM
The boat i recently purchased had a cooper with.

I was a bit suss at first but after using it i'm converted. Their great if you don't have a lot of room, and the first time i used it i simulated bad situations and it came through with flying colours.

PS this is on a 5.5m fibreglass boat.

Cheers for that. Is it the 3.5kg one?
My 4.8 fibreglass falls right in the middle of the 2.3 and 3.5kg ones. I am thinking of erring on the heavier side.
I have the finger poised over the order now button on the Cooper site "L"

Steve

Tickleish
19-09-2010, 01:38 PM
yes it is. I would go the bigger model because they realy are compact and light anyway.

3.5kg is nothing - I think you will be happy.

Let me know what you think when you've used it.

snodger 08
19-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys. I have just saved myself heaps and ordered the cooper. I will put up a report after we use it. No need for a new bowsprit either, so there is another saving.
$127.50 delivered for the 3.5kg.
Web addy for anyone else interested:
http://www.cooperanchors.com.au/
Cheers
Steve

Dean1
19-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Never seen these coopers anchors. They look interesting. Id make sure you trip it tho it has a hole at the front i see to attatch the shackle so all good.

I use a tripped plough personally it works good, i had a sarca before this and it worked well in reef but donated it to the reef from rope rubbing through on a ledge.

Good luck with it keep us posted.

Deano.

snodger 08
19-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Reckon I will run it tripped most of the time hey. Just in case I find a cable or something.

Scott79
19-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Tickleish, have you had much of a play with the Cooper in sand yet?

Thanks,
Scott.

Tickleish
20-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Scott, Thats where i did most of my testing.

I set the anchor reversing with the outboard trying to drag it, then reversrd around 180deg to simulate a storm and it reset very quickly with minimal drag.

I did this several times and worked it worked great.

I have'nt had it in any real life situations yet but so far so good.

Micadogs
20-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I also use a coopers on a 5.5 metre fibreglass boat. Never had any issues, always grabs first time. Never had an issue retreiving it either, including broken rubble/reef around peel. I use the 3.5kg one for my boat. Regards Adam