PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion on this boat ?

Kearnsy
19-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I am looking at this viking to buy , what do you think please
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9278956

Steeler
19-09-2010, 12:55 PM
There good old hulls however it probably only accounts for about 15% of the asking price its all in the outboard.

Jarrah Jack
19-09-2010, 01:00 PM
This has been on ebay, I think< but didn't sell. I like the boat a lot and think it would be a good deal if it all checks out. The transom, floor and stringers re the main concern. I would be asking further about who did whatever work on them and delving into what work had been done and the quality of it.

With the trailer, motor and hull all ticked off and all the other goodies working fine and done well then its a good package..Then you negotiate hard I guess.

capt
19-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Jarrah's right on the money re checking who did what , if something was done to the old girl, and most that were left in the weather will have soft bits here and there...... Some models had a lower transom ( 400mm) and it's hard to tell if this boat is one of those . ..... 500 mm high would be preferable. What year is the hull ?

The Front hatch is famous for leaking when copping one over the nose, but can be sorted with a bit of work.

I have the later model 5.5 .......top sea boat for her size, and I upgraded to a tandem trailer some years back which was the best way to go for towing any distance.

If she ticks all the boxes go for it ........ not a lot of choices in that price range with all the bits on her

cheers Jimmy

snodger 08
19-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Looks like a late 80's early 90's hull Kearnsy. Most selling between 15-19K. But most dont have a near new etec on them. As Jack said, tick the boxes and it should be good. From memory they only had a 60lt fuel tank. That may reduce your range a bit.
Steve

Kearnsy
19-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Cheers guys thanks for the feedback , as you said I am concerned about the hull and transom condition . Have'nt been in one yet either but have heard they are a good boat throughout but have a tendancy to dive into the swell , and a quite wet , but , this comes from owners of seadevils that say they would prefer a devil over a farer anyday . which is my other question . Seafarer or Seadevil ? Have a budget of 20k , need a reliable seagoing vessel to get me out there .

grayzeee
20-09-2010, 11:51 PM
mate . you can never rely on info about any boat from an owner of that boat.
they'll tell you it's the best hull on the planet.
try and get a ride on all the ones you shortlisted , but even then , the sea is different every time.
if somebody has previously owned one , then thats another matter. IMO.

barrabart
21-09-2010, 12:16 AM
A mate of mine had an old Seafarer V-Sea back in the early '90s, from memory they are a 5mtr boat......... very similar looking hull designe to the one you're looking at....... i loved the old girl, it was a fairly weighty hull for it's size and handled outside conditions fairly well. I loved the flared bow it used to near on push the spray out dead flat away from the boat..........
How long since the guy fitted the outboard?....... I couldn't imagine anyone in there right mind outlaying all that cash for an outboard if the had any suspicion they were bolting it to a dodgy transom.
I like it, so you buy it and if you then decide you don't like it, you can bring it to me in north qld, don't worry though i'll cover the cost of the fuel for you to cart it up here, i'll also throw in a few bucks for greasy steak burgers along the road. Done deal...... hehe

Angryant
21-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Kearnsy, send a PM to CHEE-FEE. I'm pretty sure it is his boat. I saw it not long ago and it seems to be in good condition. I know he always garaged it. Certainly worth talking to him.
Angry

brrbear
21-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Id be checkin out the milligan on ebay at the moment before I spent that much money

Noelm
21-09-2010, 10:16 AM
OK, from someone who has owned both, the Seadevil is a million times better boat, but hard to find one for sale, the Viking was an OK boat for the price, very bare in standard trim, floor was very suspect to rot, that is top dollar for a Viking, as mentioned, the motor is what is keeping the price high, but bare in mind, it has not sold yet! to some a new e-tec is not a selling feature, but that is a personal thing and subject to pages of debate (lets not go there)

FNQCairns
21-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Cheers guys thanks for the feedback , as you said I am concerned about the hull and transom condition . Have'nt been in one yet either but have heard they are a good boat throughout but have a tendancy to dive into the swell , and a quite wet , but , this comes from owners of seadevils that say they would prefer a devil over a farer anyday . which is my other question . Seafarer or Seadevil ? Have a budget of 20k , need a reliable seagoing vessel to get me out there .

I think all good hulls have this tenancy, it's goes against physics for lenght, to design a hull that cuts well and includes the buoyancy (bounce) of volume forward enough to avoid dipping the nose at times.

Wetness too because the direction the impacted water is thrown (less out more up) will often be a symptom of a fine riding boat.

Be sure the hull is spic and span for that price IMO.

stue2
21-09-2010, 02:48 PM

I had a boat that was quite wet and you could spear it in if you wanted to. Even took a couple over the top. But this little 5.4 flightcraft handled the chop better than plenty of 6m boats.
some people have lazy thumbs and dont trim to suit the conditions. its pretty easy to swing around after running trimmed in and dive into the back of a wave. Oops. wet decky.
IMHO a great riding boat thats dry also has an enclosed hardtop.
I have just purchased a Seafarer Vagabond, yep a seaspearer to some but with a following sea abillity better than most which IMHO is often where people get injured at sea.

cheers, Stu

Kearnsy
21-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Thankyou for feedback much appreciated . Not sure how IMO works . Can you tell me .
Cheers

Kearnsy
21-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey Noelm , where I fish in sydney most serious fishos own seadevils and there is a fella in our club that has a devil for sale , he has a 90 hp yammy on her with 530 hrs , asking 22K , apparently the hull is good as her bought it new . What is your thoughts and experience mate
Cheers Kearnsy

Kearnsy
21-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey Jimmy the owner thinks it may be circa 1982 hull , any thoughts

stue2
21-09-2010, 06:20 PM
IMHO = In My Honest opinion.

cheers, Stu

Skusto
21-09-2010, 06:21 PM
IMO- In My oppinion