PDA

View Full Version : Croc near Nudgee????

4x4frog
17-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Right, which one of you drunken yobs was out fishing at Nudgee?::)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/possible-crocodile-sighting-near-nudgee-beach-being-investigated/story-e6freoof-1225925558271

URAGANGI
17-09-2010, 09:50 PM
AHH...mmmm 4x4 Thanks for the link I've kept the Croc Sighting number and stashed it in my phone, Because most mornings I see the buggars all the time. AHH, that feels better.

But all jokes aside with the increase in water temps and the tropical climate that we all enjoy, and not forgetting the odd flood here and there it helps these magic surviours move too new locations and if the conditions are right I'll opt for someone else to go and pump the nipper's, because I'm staying in the tinny!!

sandbankmagnet
17-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Nudgee Crk? More likely it was a 3 metre blind mullet.

robfin
18-09-2010, 06:05 AM
I might go down there for a landbased plastic session. You reckon it'll go for a 4inch Berkley gulp in blue pepper neon?????

cuzzamundi
18-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Sorry fellas, but I think it was me. Been goen hard on the steaks of late, and I suspect one of my 'logs' may have strayed from Luggage Point way. I'd go down to confirm the sighting, but I'm afraid I'm still a little bow-legged from last night's session. Get ready, the next one''s gonna be this one's mother! Now, where's some roughage!

Cuzza

TheRealAndy
18-09-2010, 05:56 PM
About the only chance of finding a croc down here is if it were released into the water. Probably someone using lsd or speaking shizen

mylestom
18-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Well you never know where you find them. In the 50's and 60's live in Ipswich and a fellow four doors up had about four of them two salties and two freshies. Yes at one time they did escape.

Keep you eye peeled, they make lovely handbags.

Regards

Trev

split-shot
20-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Good chance that they sighted a dugong, there is a few in the area.

Sandman
20-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Couldnt agree with Trev more as i have said here before i lived in the highlands of PNG and a number of crocs got out of someones collection , i caught one and have the photo to prove it all of this was 2000ft above sea level.

Although this sighting could be someones bad eyesight or a little indulgence on mind altering substances a croc sigting is not impossible and although there has not been ne captured it does not mean they are not there. And as Trev said if they are its more than likey some tourist has dropped it off or it was previously a pet.

Mick

SeaHunt
20-09-2010, 11:14 AM
They already have a warning sign up at the Nudgee boat ramp, saying be careful a croc has been sighted.
It was probably just a log floating down the creek or a big goanna maybe..

coraltrout68
20-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Interesting to see crocs getting as far south as the Boyne river.

I lived there for a while and there were always people swimming / wading in the Boyne River and the local beaches.

Maybe not a very good idea.

Obi _ Wan
20-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Any news on the one they have been trying to trap in behind Fraser Island South of the Mary.
From memory this has been an item for 12 months.

magicmarlin
20-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Escaped pet.

Dont laugh but Croc's arent that uncommon as pets these days.

cheers

Spot82
22-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I have personally seen them in Bunya Creek which runs into the Mary, so interesting to hear that they aren't found south of Gladstone!!! Often sightings in the Mary River also.

Haven't heard the latest on the one they were trying to trap around Fraser, once again funny that they stated they are not found south of Gladstone but spent ages chasing one around the Fraser Coast...

4x4frog
22-09-2010, 07:53 AM
They already have a warning sign up at the Nudgee boat ramp, saying be careful a croc has been sighted.
It was probably just a log floating down the creek or a big goanna maybe..

Hahahahahaha, too funny. As if it's the govt or anyone's fault. Be the silliest thing to go to court after an attack and try to blame someone. The world has gone mad.
Just like the tourist trying to sue Tourism Qld 'cause he huwt his wittle weg after he ran downa dune and jumped in the lake at Fraser. SOOK!!!

marto78
22-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Wasn't there a few croc sightings in the Noosa river a year or so ago?

SeaHunt
22-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Hahahahahaha, too funny. As if it's the govt or anyone's fault. Be the silliest thing to go to court after an attack and try to blame someone. The world has gone mad.
Just like the tourist trying to sue Tourism Qld 'cause he huwt his wittle weg after he ran downa dune and jumped in the lake at Fraser. SOOK!!!
Actually I think he broke his neck and is now wheelchair bound, but that is a minor point, people have to responsible for thier own stupidity.

Sandman
22-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Wasn't there a few croc sightings in the Noosa river a year or so ago?

I believe these sightings turned out to be monitor lizards

Camhawk88
22-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok Im gonna open up a book on this one.

2:1
EPA/DERM have relocated a croc from the Edward River to Tweed Heads. They want to see if it will make its way back or take up residence. After puplic outcry they will then take 3 months to find the croc with a bloody radio transmitter on its back then take it out the back, shoot it and say it died from inhailing too many plastic bait bags. Fishing in QLD will then be banned.

3:1
The crocs have heard Big Bob Katter has the balance of power and know their days are numbered. This is the start of the influx from QLD

5:1
Cuzzamundi's steak induced movement took a wrong turn at Albuquerque

or

Anna Bligh was spotted taking an early morning swim.

Bookies note: The 2 are too difficut to distinguish so will pay on either.

10:1
The Australia Zoo released it to hunt down all stingrays in Morton Bay

100:1
The croc slipstreamed the coral trout that was caught in Tasmania but pulled up rather than cross into NSW.

Sandman
22-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Actually I think he broke his neck and is now wheelchair bound, but that is a minor point, people have to responsible for thier own stupidity.

You are correct , yes and although commenting on someones unfourtunate accident is in poor taste, it may well be his insurance company that are sueing the government.
Unfourtunatly like any unfourtunate event albeit stupidity being the cause it does impact on activities we all do. But i think you will find that he is needing to Sue the government to ensure he gets the appropriate care and support required for the rest of his life, this happens everyday but Qld is lagging in many areas in this department compared to other states.

Regards
Mick

tunaticer
22-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I heard today a character reference of the guy that reported seeing the croc at nudgee........reference was he is not a ratbag or a story teller or a piss pot......my source is this person's close relative via marriage. I have known the relative since birth and give him plenty of reliance. I can't get my head around this croc down here at the end of winter but the character reference is one of truth........

Sheik
22-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I heard today a character reference of the guy that reported seeing the croc at nudgee........reference was he is not a ratbag or a story teller or a piss pot......my source is this person's close relative via marriage. I have known the relative since birth and give him plenty of reliance. I can't get my head around this croc down here at the end of winter but the character reference is one of truth........
I agree with you tuna. I thought old mate made a pretty credible witness even though I only saw him on the idiot box.

trueblue
22-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I was down there with a mate in the late 90's, and mates dog jumped into the water never to return. big splash, nothing seen other than the dog being bulled under and no more dog

we presumed it was a bull shark, but who knows?

cheers

Mick

el_carpo
23-09-2010, 06:28 AM
I was down there with a mate in the late 90's, and mates dog jumped into the water never to return. big splash, nothing seen other than the dog being bulled under and no more dog

cheers

Mick

:o D**N!!!! That's a bad day out! Poor dog.:'(

Sandman
23-09-2010, 08:53 AM

cheers

Mick

Perhaps a big cod as well Mick ? that would have hurt your matte seeing his dog go , often thought about that when my old dog went for a splash in the brissy river , i couldnt stopp him from jumping in he loved the water.

I presume if it was a shark or a croc there would perhaps been abit more of a fight , blood etc if it was a large groper or cod they suck them in and everynow and then you get a tail splash.

Regards Mick

Louis
24-09-2010, 06:44 PM
We will probably never know whether it was a croc that was sighted at Nudgee beach or not. But it is quite possible. Remember crocodiles were seen from time to time in the Brisbane River in the days of the first settlers and there is even a photo of a very large croc that was shot in the Logan River a century ago or so.

With crocodiles now being a protected species they will continue to breed and overpopulate their current localities. With time more and more will search further and further afield for a place to take up residence. I think the lack of food will be the main problem they will have in taking up residence in the Brisbane area and I suspect that they will never be able to take up permanent residence in the south east Queensland area as they won’t have access to enough food. I can’t think of too many places where they would be able to regularly pull kangaroos and wallabies off a creek bank etc.

But I suspect that in the coming years more sightings will be reported from time to time, but after they go hungry for a while I imagine they will decide to relocate further north again. I think the south East Queensland region may wind up having the occasional transient crocodile exploring the area before moving on to greener pastures, so to speak. I just hope that we don’t see a loss of human life as a result however.

Louis

therapy
25-09-2010, 12:08 AM
In regard to the croc behind Fraser, I stayed on Stewart Island at a mate's place and that's where the croc was sighted. Croc trap was right where we moor the boat's on the northern end. Spoke to an old couple that have lived over there for 40 year's and they said he has been around the area for age's just that a tourist saw it so it made the new's.
They also said it was about 15 foot long. I asked when last they had saw it and she said last week. I asked where. Was told "just across there". About 40 metre's away from where we stood at dusk and where we had pumped yabbie's earlier that day. The day croc's turn up at Noosa I think you will see a change of heart about culling them. No good for Noosa tourism having croc's swimming with the surfer's and beach goer's!!!

Cheers.....Terry......

trymyluck
25-09-2010, 12:54 AM
In regard to the croc behind Fraser, I stayed on Stewart Island at a mate's place and that's where the croc was sighted. Croc trap was right where we moor the boat's on the northern end. Spoke to an old couple that have lived over there for 40 year's and they said he has been around the area for age's just that a tourist saw it so it made the new's.
They also said it was about 15 foot long. I asked when last they had saw it and she said last week. I asked where. Was told "just across there". About 40 metre's away from where we stood at dusk and where we had pumped yabbie's earlier that day. The day croc's turn up at Noosa I think you will see a change of heart about culling them. No good for Noosa tourism having croc's swimming with the surfer's and beach goer's!!!

Cheers.....Terry......

A fellow that was working on a house on Steward Is was living on his boat moored in the area. he was catching a few fish and was throwing the frames over the back one evening when he heard a bit of splashing and when he flashed his light around there was a croc sitting behind the boat waiting for another feed. Makes you think when you see people swimming at Gary's.

PinHead
25-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Here Fang!!! Here Fang!!! Come on Fang, I know you are out there somewhere!!!

I knew I should have shut the gate properly.

PinHead
25-09-2010, 11:44 AM

I don't know if you are aware of it or not but Main Roads Dept has a section..with lawyers and all..people send letters of complaint and demand regarding a trip they may have had on the road, foorpath etc and demand payment. And they usually get it after back and forth correspondence for a while. Cheaper to pay than go to court.

4x4frog
25-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't know if you are aware of it or not but Main Roads Dept has a section..with lawyers and all..people send letters of complaint and demand regarding a trip they may have had on the road, foorpath etc and demand payment. And they usually get it after back and forth correspondence for a while. Cheaper to pay than go to court.
Wasn't aware. Main Roads is different, there are some roads/footpaths thaare in bad states of repair that the gov't could be blamed for. A croc or someone falling on a dune, totally not the gov't fault IMO.

oldboot
26-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I think its funny that there is 1 unconfirmed report of a crock sighting and the department immediately errects warning signs.

The posibilty of there being an actual croc is pretty slim.....getting actually bit by one this far south would be pretty damn low odds.

All my remaining relatives live in Townsville..all the well informed locals know there are crocs very close to town......i've been shown the slides on the bank.........but to my knowledge no one has ever had a serious problem.

My brotherinlaws mate Paddy can testify they put up a good fight on a hand line though...:o .

Everybody up there is a bit carefull all the time... but they still pump nippers and wade in the surf and river mouths.

cheers

fishboy018
30-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I have lived in hervey bay for a while now and speaking to a couple of the old fishos from around these parts they have no doubt that there are crocs in the mary river and have photos of slides to prove it. I myself swear i saw one in saltwater creek a few years ago. Is it so hard to think that they could move a few more hundred clicks south? i agree that i dont think they would stay long or set up permanent residence. I do however think that the ones on the mary are permanent residents. The mary has a breeding population of barra large enough to target specifically. why not crocs?

therapy
01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I have lived in hervey bay for a while now and speaking to a couple of the old fishos from around these parts they have no doubt that there are crocs in the mary river and have photos of slides to prove it. I myself swear i saw one in saltwater creek a few years ago. Is it so hard to think that they could move a few more hundred clicks south? i agree that i dont think they would stay long or set up permanent residence. I do however think that the ones on the mary are permanent residents. The mary has a breeding population of barra large enough to target specifically. why not crocs?

Me and the missus stayed in Toogoom 3 or 4 years ago and towed the boat down to Hervey Bay a couple of time's. Pulled up on Round Island with the dog and had a walk around then left. When we got home that Sunday there were photo's in the Sunday paper of a large croc slide on ROUND BLOODY ISLAND!!!.We were there only 3 day's before. No doubt they are up there, still not sure about down here?!?!?!

Cheers......Terry.......

bondy99
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Could be climate change or flood waters pushed then down south. I'm all for culling these, they make good belts, shoes and handbags for woman.

Use to be large crocs in the logan river of Beenleigh and Eagleby about 100 years ago or so. There have been photos of them alongside the person that killed them seen in local archives.

And croc meat to eat is crappo, been there and done that.

Hell Boy
02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Just watched the news tonight and some fella had video footage of what appeared to be a croc. He seemed believable and appeared to be surprised.

sandbankmagnet
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
I've tasted croc meat and thought it was pretty good.

Blackened
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I've tasted croc meat and thought it was pretty good.

G'day

Myself included, It's a meat that you must cook correctly.

Dave

Dezzer
04-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Could be climate change or flood waters pushed then down south. I'm all for culling these, they make good belts, shoes and handbags for woman.

You never fail to amaze me with your wise comments. Maybe they can be turned into good head gaskets as well?

xbones
11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Good one Cuzza. LOL