PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 6.2m Trailer

boatboy50
16-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Guys,

I've got a Kevlacat 6.2m which I need to get a trailer made for. Does anyone know anyone who will manufacture one for me.

I've tried the following.

Sea-Link
Oceanic
Belco
Ark Marine

Belco seems to be pretty good, and I know their quality is awesome.

I'm not too worried whether it's gal or alloy.

Any others I should know about?

Darren

deek
16-09-2010, 01:31 PM
How about Mayfair Marine?

Pinguu
16-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a 6.2m kevlacat. I had my trailer built last year by FMS trailers at Seventeen Mile Rocks. It cost around $9000.00 fully rollered and with a hydraulic braking system your can use on any 4x4 (assuming it has enough towing capacity) as it just plougs into a 12V socket. I also used bronze alloy rotors to avoind corrosion and brake constant brake issues. Give me a call if youd like to discuss or wish to have a look at the trailer. It lives at Moreton Bay Boat club at Scarborough and I would be happy to show you. It is a great all round trailer , only thing I would do differently is have installed stainless steel pins for the rollers to spin on, instead of galvanized pins , as I need full reverse throttle to pull the boat off the trailer. Warwick 0412657307

finding_time
16-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Interested why you went rollers and not just skids??

rat_catcher
16-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Any others I should know about?
How about Origin? Wasn't there a thread on here recently promoting their custom alloy trailer they built for Alchemy's new rig?

rat_catcher
16-09-2010, 06:44 PM
How about Origin? Wasn't there a thread on here recently promoting their custom alloy trailer they built for Alchemy's new rig?

Yeah this one;

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=166598

Kearnsy
16-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I use to work for kavlacat and they made trailers on site , is that still an option ? They were gal or alloy and made for the model.

Pinguu
16-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I went rollers on the advice of the trailer builder, I think the comes onto the trailer much more smoothly with rollers. My trailer also has the guides on the outside in the form of rollers rather than a big frame between the sponsons which has helped to save on weight.

finding_time
16-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I went rollers on the advice of the trailer builder, I think the comes onto the trailer much more smoothly with rollers. My trailer also has the guides on the outside in the form of rollers rather than a big frame between the sponsons which has helped to save on weight.

Fair enough! It's just most cats i know of run on skids, even brand new 2400 kc's are on skids, and they slid on and off with no issues, but i'm sure rollaer are great there just must be alot of them!

John Buoy
16-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Mackay make a very good quality catamaran trailer.
here's the link
http://www.mackaytrailers.com/boat-trailers/powercat

Regards Frank ;)

cormorant
16-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I have a 6.2m kevlacat. I had my trailer built last year by FMS trailers at Seventeen Mile Rocks. It cost around $9000.00 fully rollered and with a hydraulic braking system your can use on any 4x4 (assuming it has enough towing capacity) as it just plougs into a 12V socket. I also used bronze alloy rotors to avoind corrosion and brake constant brake issues. Give me a call if youd like to discuss or wish to have a look at the trailer. It lives at Moreton Bay Boat club at Scarborough and I would be happy to show you. It is a great all round trailer , only thing I would do differently is have installed stainless steel pins for the rollers to spin on, instead of galvanized pins , as I need full reverse throttle to pull the boat off the trailer. Warwick 0412657307

With bigger cats reversing off the trailer we used to have a sailing block on the 2nd cross member and a spectra rope. Literally winch it back 2 foot using the trailer winch - took like 5 seconds and saved revving cold motors and trimming them too deep and bending props on shallow ramps. Also meant we didn't have to so deep at the ramp and go off the ends of the short ones. For large monohulls a few trailer manufacturers used to have the bow wedge on a sliding pole with a pulley on the other end through the winch post and you just ran the winch cable around it and it pushed the boat out a couple of foot and gave it a bit of momentum.

I think it is hydrostar that are now doing the wireless controller you can just take to any vehicle and the trailer has a onboard battery that is charged from normal trailer connection . Brakes still get applied if there is interference via brake light actuation

Go alloy for long term resale as long as it is well overbuilt for the weight of boat.

Mister
16-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Obviously KevlaCat still make boats and they require trailers so why not ask kevlaCat, sounds logical to me?

Know one bloke with a 6.2 and trailer is original and 20 years old, made of alloy and he can't understand why anybody would even consider a steel trailer, let alone rollers.

camboy
16-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I would also try Ivan at FMS Trailers, Seventeen Mile Rocks, I found him great to deal with.

Regards,
Camboy

Pinguu
16-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Ivan at FMS built my trailer as well , and was the catalyst for the rollers and roller guides instead of the internal frame guide. Good Solid Trailer, after sales service not what it was cracked up to be.

Pinguu
16-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Trailer manufacturers say alloy trailers are subject to cracking unless well over engineered , this in effect nuturalises the reason for using alloy in the first place, which is to keep trailer weight down.

My Gal Trailer is 700kgs.

finding_time
16-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Trailer manufacturers say alloy trailers are subject to cracking unless well over engineered , this in effect nuturalises the reason for using alloy in the first place, which is to keep trailer weight down.

My Gal Trailer is 700kgs.

Not real sure on this point either Pinguu!! My alloy trailer is definately lighter than the equlivant steel trailer around 300kg lighter but the other reason for a alloy trailer is it's life!! My alloy trailer was built in 1989! And apart from a slightly dull surface finish the trailer is as good today as when it was built in 89, 21 years ago!!! There is no cracking on any of the welds or signs of repair, it is in top condition If i had a steel trailer and it was used as much as mine is i would probable be due for or on my 3rd gal steel trailer by now!!

CCDrifter
17-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Darren
I have got the same boat and am running with the standard sealink supplied with the boat from KC. Great road trailer and easy to launch and retreive. Only thing is it is fairly tow ball heavy (I will be moving the axles forward a touch in the near future).I think the boat sit's more stable on the skids then it would on rollers..only my opion though. I also got Phil from oceanic to build me a ramp trailer for home. We did not put the standard centre cage down the middle of the trailer used on my road trailer for allignment as it is a pain in the &*&( to wash down the centre of the boat, Just made rollers on the external to hold in place. Don't know how this would go with legal width of trailer but it makes cleaning and maintenance of the boat so much easier. I sure one if not most may be able to come up with a design that incorporates this idea.
Oh and if getting a custom trailer done don't forget about heaps of ground access to the boat as they end up sitting a bloody long way from the ground!!!!

Nathan

OPTI
17-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Obviously KevlaCat still make boats and they require trailers so why not ask kevlaCat, sounds logical to me?

Know one bloke with a 6.2 and trailer is original and 20 years old, made of alloy and he can't understand why anybody would even consider a steel trailer, let alone rollers.

good to see you still on here KERRY;)