PDA

View Full Version : fuel filler location

Goochi
16-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to start a refirb of my slightly sad old boat. In the process I was considering changing the filler location for my underfloor tank. At present it's molded into the outboard well which is good if you spill when you fill but it does not let you fill the tank to capacity as it fills from the rear/low end of the tank. The breather also is at the same location on the tank. I think the capacity is 150l but you can only get about 120 in the way it is set up. It seems to make sense to me to have the filler feeding the top end of the tank.

Has anyone got a setup that works well for them and still keeps spills outside the cockpit.

Cheers
Brian.

Roughasguts
16-09-2010, 09:16 AM
If I need to fill my tank to the Max, I either drop the trailer off the tow ball so the tank filler is at the highes point and this reduces the splash back and eliminates the air lock.

Or fill by syphoning from a Jerry can the slower rate and smaller hose lets the air escape and fills much quicker in the long run.

Cheers

TJ Bear
16-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Can you put another breather in the front of the tank and leave the filler where it is?

PADDLES
16-09-2010, 09:31 AM
like tj said, that's how signature used to do it, they ran a breather tube inside the tank to the front of the tank, it still exited the tank at the rear with the filler and rear breather.

Goochi
16-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks TJ and PADDLES, hadn't thought of that. Did the haines have their filler at the back or on the side of the boat.

Roughasguts
16-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Goochi In my Sig the filler is at the back in the engine well.

Cheers.

PADDLES
18-09-2010, 06:49 AM
yep, that's where my one was, at the very front of the engine well