PDA

View Full Version : Best new trailer for Seafarer Vamp?

caliban
13-09-2010, 03:43 PM
The original Dunbier trailer under my Seafarer Vamp has some corrosion issues in the mid-section beam and back section. The trailer is 14 years old and rather than doing more maintenance (I had the springs and axle redone while back), I'm beginning to think a new trailer maybe worth looking at.

What are people's thoughts on the best trailer brands?

Chimo
13-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi CB

IMHO one with a large number of rollers so that the boat can be driven on.

Then never drive it on, always winch it on and lower it off so you never drown it and only wet the bottom half of the barke rotors.

If you do this your trailer will outlive you. What brand? There are lots of very good trailers and even more acceptable trailers especially if you keep them out of the salt which with a lightish boat like the Vamp should be easy enough. Originally if sold in Qld the boat would have sat on a Tinka to get a 5 yr hull warrantee. One yr only, if I remember correctly, on any other breed.

One assumes your not in Qld so Mackay ex Melb also do some good product from the ex dairy farmer whos the boss there etc and so it goes. Lots to choose from.

Cheers
Chimo

Jarrah Jack
13-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I put up a similiar question a while ago. Found out that the best trailer recommended by seafarer is the Tinka Classic MT-160-mo.

They had some troubles with the earlier amp trailers because the hull is pretty heavy. My mate who has a Vamp ended up taking his trailer back to mackay and got trailer set up properly for the boat. Google the Tinka and you'll see exactly what you need.

Jarrah Jack
13-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Whoops double post :)

caliban
15-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback - I'm based in Sydney, so would rather not travel to Queensland for a new trailer.

Looks like I need to ensure the trailer is sufficiently strong for the weight of the hull. Any thoughts on Dunbier trailers?

Cheers,

Chris

Jarrah Jack
15-09-2010, 11:48 AM
No its not the strength of the trailer that was the problem, it is how it is setup to take the weight of the boat. Have a good look at the Tinka and the setup of all the rollers. There should be an agent in Sydney for them the same as Dunbier are made in Melbourne from Chinese parts. Not saying the're no good, they just ship'em around the country. I'd be contacting Tinka direct and asking.

wrxhoon
15-09-2010, 12:01 PM
If you want it to last ( outlast your boat) get an I beam ally trailer with duratorque suspension and S/S brakes. I have one she is 5 years old now she gets dunk in the salt weekly and she is still like new . The only maintenace, a new set of ceramic pads and grease the Bearing buddies .

sparky54
15-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I have a Seafarer Victory purchased new in December 2009 with a Dunbier trailer, it had a hydraulic caliper not releasing which turned out to be a piston seal incorrectly fitted from new. I rang Shane at Dunbier yesterday and told of the problem, he said this is a rare problem with these calipers and I had a new caliper delivered today no questions asked no charge, so can't complain about the backup service.

Keith

bigfella23
20-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Jarrah Jack should find out the facts before shooting his mouth off about Dunbier using chinese componants. This is not true.
If you like the way the Dunbier works , get one of the new Dunbier alloy trailers. At least you will get backup where you live.

wrxhoon
20-09-2010, 05:32 PM
All the late model trailers I have seen use some Chinese parts , like wheels, tyres , hubs , bearings etc...actually the RHS steel they use comes from China as well...

Jarrah Jack
20-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Jarrah Jack should find out the facts before shooting his mouth off about Dunbier using chinese componants. This is not true.
If you like the way the Dunbier works , get one of the new Dunbier alloy trailers. At least you will get backup where you live.

As Hoon says there are some Chinese parts aren't there. Seeing that you have such a close relationship with Dunbier perhaps you could tell us exactly where you source all your parts and what your personal relationship is to the company.

I notice from your previous posts bigfella23 that you have given Andrew Dunbier's mobile number and Russ Dunbier's email address. You've also spruiked the Dunbier alloy trailer..Why don't you just pay for advertising on the forum and not use posts for advertising.

bigfella23
21-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Try not to advertise at all , but as a boatie , I like to shoot the breeze with what is new. If i can help i will.
Most Australian manufacturers try not to use chinese steel, it's silicone content gives it a very dull finish.

wrxhoon
21-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Try not to advertise at all , but as a boatie , I like to shoot the breeze with what is new. If i can help i will.
Most Australian manufacturers try not to use chinese steel, it's silicone content gives it a very dull finish.

I can't say for sure if Dunbier use Chinese steel or not but I can say that they use Chinese couplings, Chinese wheels and tyres, Chinese hubs , Chinese bearings , Chinese bolts Chinese cable, Chinese lights? and who knows what else, Chinese springs ??
Thats not to say that's whats used on all their trailers, I can't be sure on that as I haven't seen all trailers Dunbier made in the last few years but the ones I have seen have all or most the above made in China...

[quote]bigfella23 Jarrah Jack should find out the facts before shooting his mouth off about Dunbier using chinese componants. This is not true.
If you like the way the Dunbier works , get one of the new Dunbier alloy trailers. At least you will get backup where you live.[/quote)Your statement above is not true so I don't think you should have a go at
Jarrah Jack for saying "Dunbier are made fron Chinese parts". He only stated the facts and his statement is true.