PDA

View Full Version : What Boat to Upgrade to?

Primordius
13-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey guys, currently got a Bayliner Bowrider 175 originally with the purpose of more family action but we're finding we're all getting more into Fishing these days. I'm lucky enough to get an upgrade approval from the misses when finance permits and am left scratching my head with exactly what to get. It's a very difficult choice and I seem to be changing my mind a LOT as well. Basically, I need some advice on what to get and why. Below are my key reasons and uses for the replacement boat:

- Fishing; Inshore and hopefully Offshore for up to several days. (not confident going offshore in the bayliner yet).
- Boat must be comfortable with *some* mod-cons/amenities.
- Would prefer Galley with burner/bbq, sink, toilet & fridge.
- Fishing platform important but does not need to be massive. SS rails at the back are enough?
- Safety crossing bars and offshore is important.
- Versatility important. EG, eating area converted to open fishing platform.
- Under 25ft Trailerable is important.
- Must be under 3000 KG when fully loaded up with fuel and water.
- Must have OK fuel economy.
- Budget under $90K.

I realise this is a tall order, but I'm looking for that perfect boat that offers creature comforts for those extended stays on the water, a reasonable fishing platform for offshore action and enough room for storage/cooking/family whilst being a trailerable boat under 3000KG.

Boats I've looked at so far are:

- Mustang 2400 Clubsport
- Haines Hunter Horizon 710 Elite
- Four Winns Vista 248
- Haines Hunter 650 Classic
- Mustang 2000 Bluewater

My concern with the sportscruisers is they are not designed specifically for fishing and I am not sure how they would go offshore? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these types of boats, or can offer some other suggestions that might be better for the type of boating we'll be doing.

Thanks for any and all help guys. Reely appreciate it.

Matt

mull dog
13-09-2010, 06:03 AM
cruise craft outsider

Primordius
13-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks mull dog. A mate of mine has a cruise craft outsider 685 and has won quite a few tournaments in his boat. It's a great ride and takes on bars like they're nothing. I was highly appreciative of the padded rails when he took me offshore in it. It's certainly an option.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments about the boats i've mentioned?

Argle
13-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Have a look at few Whittleys, they do a family friendly fishing version called the Sea Legend which would be more suited to offshore fishing or if offshore wasnt the main idea some of the Voyager or Cruisemaster type caravans I mean boats might do. Its a tough ask to do what you want in a production boat, you may need to re-assess your wants or look at a custom job but that would likely blow out the costs.

Gee its fun looking for boats!

Cheers
Scott

sleepygreg
13-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Whittley Sea Legend would probably be the pick to give you all the creature comforts, as well as a great fishing platform. SL 25 (I think) is the one that two of the guys in the fishing club have, they both like their creature comforts, and both do a lot of serious offshore fishing for both reefies and Marlin. Some of you in the tournament scene would know them....'Dreamcatcher' and 'Priceless'. You would be looking at a second hand one at your budget. They came in both outboard config and Sterndrive config. Both are towed by Nissan Patrols.

(the CC 685 is also a bluddy nice boat - but go the explorer if you want the better cabin area)

Greg

White Pointer
15-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Whittley Sea Legend would probably be the pick to give you all the creature comforts, as well as a great fishing platform. SL 25 (I think) is the one that two of the guys in the fishing club have, they both like their creature comforts, and both do a lot of serious offshore fishing for both reefies and Marlin. Some of you in the tournament scene would know them....'Dreamcatcher' and 'Priceless'. You would be looking at a second hand one at your budget. They came in both outboard config and Sterndrive config. Both are towed by Nissan Patrols.

(the CC 685 is also a bluddy nice boat - but go the explorer if you want the better cabin area)

Greg

G'day,

I agree that the Whittley SL are a very nice boat and I nearly bought one until I found out that it didn't meet even basic flotation standard. Perhaps the new ones do but I can't imagine that what you are after will come in under $90K new.

I think you should broaden your search to include Plate Alloy boats.

You probably know that I own a chunk of Origin Boats but if you don't, there's my declaration of vested interest in your decision.

Regards,

White Pointer