PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofield and Noosa Cat

kaypee
10-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi all,

Been a while since ive been on here as i sold my hydrofield a while ago n gave the fishin away for a while... but.. ive recently gotten the itch back n so its time to get another boat.
Ive narrowed my search down to 3 boats.. a 5.6/6.1 hydrofield like i had, a 5.2 Noosa Cat, and a Hydrofield Awesome 5.
Now obviously im fully aware of the capabilities of the larger hydrofield and wouldnt hesitate in buying another but as ive just moved to a new town alot of my fishing will be solo missions for a while so the big hydro mite b an overkill.

The info im chasing is pros n cons of the Noosa Cat and the Awesome 5. Now i realise they r like chalk n cheese compared to each other so what im chasing is any info regarding these 2 boats, seperatly, from those of you that have had some sort of experience with either of them??

Thanks

Wet Work
19-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Never been in a 5m hydro or a 5.2 noosa. I have owned 5.6 hydro and 18'/5.6 shark (noosa) cat. I have written my comparisons between these boats in other topics (you might be able to search for posts written by me and find them. most have been in hydrofield based topics)

I i was in your situation i would go for the 5.6/6.1 hydro. Plenty of boat to manage on your own but with a trailer catch you have retrieving covered. If you use a decent ramp with a jetty launching wont be too hard on your own. If you are planning on some offshore or distance fishing the bigger hydro will be best option for you.

I expect you will find friends that will want to go fishing with you so a bigger boat night be more accommodating of extra people.

You didnt mention what hydro you owned before but if it was a 5.6/6.1 you know what they are like and what you can do so why would you want anything else?

kaypee
22-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah, i had the 6.1m and would have no hesitations in getting another if the right one came along. Your exactly right about them being able to be man handled solo and their offshore capabilities...

As far as the other boats go, i just havent had anything to do with either of them and any posts ive looked at involving them just turn into a 'cat' fight over which is better...or even somehow into other brands!!

I know of a 5.2 Noosa and an Awesome 5 for sale at the moment and was just looking to see if anyone had personal knowledge of them as you dont seem to hear much on either and i was wondering if there was a reason why....

Thanks tho

termi
28-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I owned a 5.2 noosa cat with no pods and 2x70hp yamies for several years and have to admit that they are not one of the best cats out there. They porpoise in calm conditions, they dig in violently in a beam on sea:o but even worse from the rear quater and don't carry weight too well. The anchor set up is hopeless with no external hatch for the rope. But on a good note, they track very straight in a following sea and are quite soft in a head on chop but a bit flighty(and still softer than any monohull i have been in). Their finish is excellent and from what i saw there was very little timber in the construction from the floor up.
I now have a 5.2 kevlacat and wouldn't sell it for the world;D . I can't comment on the hydrofield but if you got the funds i'd be putting a 5.2 kevlacat on the shopping list.