PDA

View Full Version : Anchor

perko
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Looking for advice on an anchor for a 5 meter boat that I can use in sand, mud, rock and reef. Thinking a Sarca maybe? Is there any cheaper alternatives to try? I don't want to carry multiple anchors as storage room is limited.

indy
09-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Buy a plough anchor about a 3rd of the price of a sarca and chances are you will get it back. Just trip the end when reef fishing with a zip tie. I lost a sarca anchor after about 5 trips makes it an expensive exercise. The sarca bight in really well but can be a prick to get off.

skipalong
09-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I heard those coopers anchors are great for all conditions look like a plough/lewmar style but dont swivel which is good i think and light weight, from what i was told cost was around 100

Tinshack
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Perko, I have been through a few anchors over the years & now have the Cooper anchor & can't speak of it highly enough. It holds very well in sand, mud & also reef. It is best mounted with small bit of chain from front to rear & use cable ties so if it gets caught in the reef it will break the cable ties & pull the anchor out backwards. This has worked for me on many occasions. I do however put the chain directly on the rear of the anchor if staying overnight just in case the cable ties break in the middle of the night. I have the 3.5kg one on my 5.5m glass boat that weights 1400kg in the water. Mate also has one on his 6.2m tournament bluewater & holds no problems. I have had the standard reef pick with 4 & 5 prongs & also the mooloolaba pick but these do not hold in all bottom types, especially sand or mud. The Sarca are probably very good but very expensive, Cooper anchor is only $130 delivered anywhere in Australia. Can't complain about that.:D I only paid $80 for mine 9 months ago, but they must be getting popular so price is rising. If your boat is not heavy you may get away with the 2.5kg one, check out the website, just google cooper anchors & give them a ring. One anchor for all types of bottom is great, I do carry an unbent reef pick & spare chain just in case I get the Cooper anchor snagged while offshore, Cheers.

revs57
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Had a SARCA for 5 yrs - always been able to get it back so far - grabs well, flys away from the boat as it descends, great anchor, love it

rowanda
10-09-2010, 04:41 PM
I 2nd tinshack, Cooper anchor is the go

wetryin
15-09-2010, 07:14 PM
No, I got sick of tying the cable ties on the cooper anchor. Moral of the story: bite the bullett and carry 2 anchors OR do what I have got now- a sarca with an electric winch. After nearly at anchoring over 50 reefs have never got it stuck; and if I do disengage the electrics and drive it off. Never fails. Neither does the back

hsv 408
15-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Had a SARCA for 5 yrs - always been able to get it back so far - grabs well, flys away from the boat as it descends, great anchor, love it

same as above ;)

DATCOL
16-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Go the cooper great unit hold my 6 M trygull no wories
Col