PDA

View Full Version : safe carrying capacity???

andyboy75
07-09-2010, 10:35 PM
hi there, just wondering if anyone has any advice on what the safe carrying capacity is for a haines hunter v17l with a yamaha cv 85hp donk on it. planning to take the wife and kids out regularly for day trips in and around the broadwater on the gold coast and around the rivers and estuaries when i pick my new rig up.

combined weight with all the gear would probably be around the 320 kilo mark.
also how many adults can this model carry safely? i think its registered to carry six adults, but if anyone out there has any useful advice on this topic that would be great.new to boating so am still pretty green thanks guys!

AnthonyL
08-09-2010, 01:37 AM
I was looking this up earlier myself on this website... for a different boat.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Capacity-labels.aspx

AnthonyL
08-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Length in mtrs 5 m to 5.49 m
Recommended maximum number of persons 6
Maximum permissable weight (kilograms) 540

Moonlighter
08-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Anthony has it right - the only qualification being that if the boat has a builders plate that states anything different (ie less than) the above, then the lesser figure would apply.

If your boat is registered in Qld you will need to have either:

(a) an Australian Builders Plate on it (this will state the max persons capacity etc) - very unlikely that your Haines will have this ABP as they only came in a couple of years ago;

OR

(b) a yellow capacity label stuck to the dash - you can get these from Qld Transport.

Cheers

ML

mitchdemeanor
08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Anthony has it right - the only qualification being that if the boat has a builders plate that states anything different (ie less than) the above, then the lesser figure would apply.

If your boat is registered in Qld you will need to have either:

(a) an Australian Builders Plate on it (this will state the max persons capacity etc) - very unlikely that your Haines will have this ABP as they only came in a couple of years ago;

OR

(b) a yellow capacity label stuck to the dash - you can get these from Qld Transport.

Cheers

ML

Spot on with that, you MUST have that plate and/or sticker in your boat in qld, and another piece of advice, the capacity is based on an average weight of 75 kg plus 15kg extra per person (90 kg total) as carry on luggage/tackle etc. Now guys correct me if i'm wrong but children under 12 (i think) count as half a person, so if your kids are under 12 you get 2 for 1 ;D

oldboot
08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Remember too that the specified capacity is for smooth water only and in good conditions.

AND....for skinny family members........so if you have all adults on board and a couple of them like their tucker, you'll have to drop the capaity.

My boat is rated 5 persons....there is no way I would take it out with more than 3 adults unless it was pretty flat.

and yes children under 12 count for half a person..and long as they weigh under 37.25KG.

remember too a full esky can easily weigh 30KG..a slab of cans weighs 9kg

cheers

cheers