PDA

View Full Version : ***Amazing fishing stories****

aidbox
07-09-2010, 08:37 AM
There's nothing more i love hearing than other people's fishing stories when they see something unbelievable and noone is usually around to see it or there is no camera available. So here's an opportunity to share them

I'll start

A couple of years back I was fishing in a pretty remote area in Northern NSW fishing in a river for cod surrounded by steep ravines that were heavily bushed. I had my girlfriend on one bank with her little cousin and i was on the adjacent bank with a steep hill behind me that continued up for around 200m. It was gettting dark and I looked back behind me to see a wallaby gently zig-zagging down the hill towards us. I said to my girlfriends brother, "check out the wallaby coming down for a drink".
I waved to the others on the opposite bank to look as the wallaby was unusually close. It then disppeared down to the water level on the other side of a boulder about 5m away from where we were fishing. I then was surprised to see the wallaby sitting in the water and it then began to paddle around. Instinctively, I thought-why would a wallaby be in the water-I then turned back up the hilll to see a dingo sceaming down the hill right towards us to persue the wallaby. Holy s@$*t this is David Attenborough stuff! The dingo did not notice us and stood up on the same boulder right beside us(5m away) and watched the wallaby which was struggling now half way across the river. I tried to get the others to be quiet so we could see what was going to unfold but after about 4-5mins the dingo got wind and took off up the hill behind us, about 20m up, and began to howl like nothing else (very eerie). The wallaby was drowning and still had a way to go. The little cousin threw his lure at it and was able to drag it in and rescued it. It stayed beside them for about 15mins to regain itself and then took off. I was instructed to come back over as they were now scared-so we went to a narrower part in the river to swim across. I cast my lure just to check depth and BANG! I hooked up on my biggest ever cod-20lbs. Talk about a day-bringing my biggest cod with the dingo still howling in the background...gotta love that

Look forward to hearing your stories.......

snodger 08
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Nothing as good as that hey,
but myself an old mate and my 4 year old son had been fishing off the northern end of ironpot island at Yeppoon in beautiful sunny conditions for a couple of hours when all of a sudden we could here a torrential downpour of rain.
We looked around everywhere and not a cloud in the sky. :-?

This went on for 4 or 5 minutes until we saw the sea erupting over a vast area and moving closer to us. Starting to think earthquake, tsunami or something ::)

Turned out to be a massive school of bait fish and the Schoolies were smashing them up something chronic.

The school moved through where we were sitting and we ended up with baitfish laying on the floor of the boat where they committed suicide in an attempt to get away from the schoolies. We quickly threw them on the hook and had a great time for the next 10 minutes catching schoolies. 8-)

That was the first and last time I have ever seen a school of bait-fish that big being busted up. It was awesome. It must have covered an area equivalent to a few acres.:o

Cheers

Steve

Camhawk88
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
When I was about 13 our family took a year to go around Oz. We had a little 11ft car topper to fish from. We stayed on the banks of a river (Norman??) about 12km outside of Normanton on a little lagoon where the tidal influence ends- cant remember the name of it but Im sure anyone familiar with the area would be able to fill in the blank.
Anyway I went out for an afternoon troll around the lagoon and hooked a barra (i think- it didnt get time to jump) I was on for a few seconds and he took a bit of line before spitting the Nilsie Invincible. I was pised and started winding in and the lure came to the surface twirling. I thought the fish must have knocked it out of tune but as it got closer I realised there was something attached. Sure enough my lure had reproduced because tangled up with my Nilsmaster was another Nilmaster- hooked from the jaw of the barra. I reckon that was a great indication of the popularity of this lure for both fisherman and fish alike during the 80s and 90s.
I thought that is the arsiest thing ever and no-one else would have ever done it but no more than a week later we talked to a guy at a different boat ramp who had done exactly the same thing.

Noelm
07-09-2010, 12:56 PM
hardly earth shattering, but mildy interesting, I was live baiting one day (with a Yakka) and was fishing for more, and I caught the one I had on for live bait! hooked properly in the mouth, what are the chances of that?

Scott nthQld
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
nothing too spectacular,

I was out fishing with a mate and his son one day and while my mate was rerigging his son's line, his screams off and the rod jumps out of the holder and into the drink, he's noticeably pissed off but we kept fishing, him with his spare rod. About half hour later the replacement rod screams off again, this time he gets the rod and starts fighting the fish, gets what should've been the fish up only to find that the hook had imbedded into the grip of the rod he'd lost earlier. He just managed to grab the recovered rod before the hook tore free and still was on!!, a short fight later and a 9kg queenie makes it to the boat. now I've caught a few lost rods in the past, but always other peoples and always so old that you could barely recognise the make..talk about arsey! Anyway, hapy now the recovered rod was quickly doused in the fresh drinking water we had on board and we headed for home, a good clean up and re build the the rod/reel combo still works like it was just off the rack.

Another one was my very first go at making my own lures. We were camping with family when I was about 7 or 8 and fishing the murrumbidgee in Gundagai. We thought it would be a good idea to cut up and empty icecream container into various shapes, and using the campfire, heat up the little bits and bend and twist them to give them a bit of 'action'. We headed up the river that arvo and while soaking a few worms and grubs for some trout we cast these abominations around just to watch them skip across the surface....bored we gave up on that idea, left the bait rods out and proceeded to have fun throwing cow turds at one another. i left my 'lure' just dangling in the water and laid the rod on the bank, I got back to find the butt of my rod sticking up in the air and the tips had fallen and imbedded itself into the mud, I picked it up and found I had actually caught a fish! i littel 2lb rainbow trout decided he liked the look of the white bit of plastic fluttering on the surface in the current and snavelled it up. it was my first lure caught fish and all it took was a bit of time playing with sharp implements and fire. Dad still doesn't believe me regardless of what my 3 cousins say.

3rd degree
07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
This ones called the Golden Touch.....

I mate and I were fishing Awoonga a few years ago on the weekend of the November full moon. Was some comp on so we thought we would sleep during the day (when the comp was on) and fish all night.

First night 1 cat fish to my mate, and nothing else.

Second night, 118cm to my mate.

Now we were meant to be heading home after the second night, but with no fish for me I called the secretrary and told her we had broken a windscreen and would be a day late.

Not sure why, but that third night I was on fire with 7 fish over the 100cm mark. After the 7th my mate was certain I had some magic golden touch, and asked me to rub my magic hands over the 2 lures he was trolling. After not getting a touch all night, we travelled about 30 meters before his Loomis/Twinpower combo goes flying out of the corner and into the black of Awoonga.

My mate quickly tries to pull his second line in and catch the missing rod, but to no avail, and was sitting head in hands up the front of the boat trying to console himself when I started bringing in my lines. Sure enough on the rear treble there was a single wrap of braid, and by the time I slowly pulled that braid in, I was holding my mates combo.

He was not aware of what I was doing, so I just asked him "whereabouts is your name on this rod, cause I think its mine now!"

Cheers
Jim

aidbox
07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
"Turned out to be a massive school of bait fish and the Schoolies were smashing them up something chronic."

That is crazy mate-but what are schoolies? fish, sharks...? Very arsie getting another lure-the only thing that would put a smirk on your face after lsoing a fish I rekon....Awesome stories guys well done.

3rd degree
07-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Schoolies are mackeral aidbox

tunaticer
07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Half a dozen yrs ago a good mate and myself were in a central queensland creek giving the fish some good exercise and the fishing was hot. We both got a bit cocky and calling the species we would try for on the next cast and getting maybe 50% of them right. I bespoke the cry of a mudcrab on the next cast with a deep diving lure and low and behold that is what i hooked fair and squarely in both the mouth and the elbow!! To this day I have not taken the piss and called the shots again.......seems more right just to accept what takes a bite than being so bloody cocky.

004dam
07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Not as fascinating as other stories. But fishing a local weir my mate got snagged and lost some line about half hour later hooks his old trace by having the hook go in the eye of a swivel. Was rather random.

Also my other not very keen fisherman hooked one of his best bream. Somehow the bream tangled and created a noose in the line by tangling it's self on it's fins and the hook wrapped on the trace an created a noose type action and we landed the fish laughing to find out how it was caught.

snodger 08
07-09-2010, 08:29 PM
"Turned out to be a massive school of bait fish and the Schoolies were smashing them up something chronic."

That is crazy mate-but what are schoolies? fish, sharks...? Very arsie getting another lure-the only thing that would put a smirk on your face after lsoing a fish I rekon....Awesome stories guys well done.

Airbox. yeah little Mackeral. Great fight on light gear and good eating.

bigjimg
07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
While trolling skirted lures for marlin I noticed a little extra weight on one of the flat lines,wound it in to find we had caught a SPANNER CRAB.Woo hoo on the board,not.Jim

TimiBoy
07-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Pete (Litenup on here) was pulling a Snapper. "It's a beauty, PB coming" or something like that. Anyway, he got sharked, and pulled up half a pb Snapper.

A small, sealed, very slimy packet of 3 inch lumo plastics falls on the deck. No one had such a pack on the boat. Logical conclusion? It fell out of what was left of the poor old Snap's gut!

Cheers,

Tim

sandbankmagnet
07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
When I was young fishing with my dad for whiting, I remember him bringing one in only to be tested towards the boat. Turned out a nice sized flathead liked the looks of his freshly caught whiting. Ended up with both fish in the boat.

No Fear
08-09-2010, 07:03 AM
2 weekends ago my mate took me off the pin bar in his 5 m centre console, the weather was pretty ordinary but we punched out towards out mark with whales jumping all around us, nothing within 5 miles or so though. My mate mention how ordinary it would be to run into one of those things as they would definately do some damage. We get about halfway to our spot and low and behold, doing 15knots, my mate yells whale pointing to the port side of the boat. A fin pops up about 2 metres from the port side of the boat and as we drive directly over top of it I look to the back port corner of the boat to see a whales tail pop straight up. The whale had dived straight under the boat and the tail popped up within a metre of the boat and gave us a wave, all whilst we continued at 15 knots. It seemed like it happened so slowly but it was all over within about 5 or 6 seconds. The whale must have been just sitting on the surface as I normally see them blow in the distance and keep clear. I have no idea how we didnt hit it but the close up shot of these big units was something I dont want to see again, especially travelling along at a decent speed in a little tinny. For the next few hours whilst anchored up they jumped all around us, some breaching within 50m. We packed up after that as we'd seen on the news recently a whale landing on the boat and after our close call we had enough whale watching for the day.For the first time in my life, the fishing was quite stressful, anticipating where the next big bugger is going to jump.

rooboy98
08-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I was once rock fishing up the Cape at Portland Roads. My mate brings in a nice size cod. As he is about to unhook it, it spat out a dead octopus onto the rocks. I quickly pinned a hook through this freshly supplied bait and cast out. Sure enough, it wouldn't have been 2 minutes later and I caught the cod's twin brother.

.......and speaking of octopus........ as a little kid I once caught one down at Lake Cathie (NSW). As I was winding this heavy monster from the deep in, I was thinking this fish was going to be huge. I was sadly disappointed to find it was just an octopus living inside a large glass jar , who had refused to leave his flash new home behind!

Cheers,
Roo.

Jarrah Jack
10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Two interesting stories...

The first one was from a mate who was working on an Ab boat in Mallaoota. While out working a few ks from the shore spotted what they thought was a seal swimming strangely out to see. they went over for a look and saw that it was a kangaroo which ignored them and kept heading towards New Zealand.

The second one was when I was fishing off the shelf for yellowfin. My mates brother used to always tag along. His name was Harry and he wasn't the full two bob.

On the last afternoon of the final day of a weeks trip Harry still hadn't caught a fin. Neither had he on earlier trips, but he had been ever so slowly learning.

He had is bait out furtherist in the burley trail and wouldn't let me get my bait beyond his. Sure enough he gets a strike and pumps the fish very professionally into gaff range. As what usually happens as soon as the fish saw the gaff he was off on a second run.

I can vividly remember the look on Harry's face as he was staring at his bare hands wondering what happened to his expensive rod. He just kept staring at them.

Naughtly I had kept my line in the water and it took off soon after. I started hauling the fish in when I felt the line go slack for an instance then it grabbed again. I knew what I had on.

I got Harrys rod to the boat grabbed it gave it to him and told him to do the job properly this time. My hook was on the last eye of the rod. That was one unlucky 30kg fin. Harry was rapt beyond words but didn't thank me once or offer me a bourbon in the pub that night but got totally blind himself.

Camhawk88
10-09-2010, 10:46 AM
This one didn't happen to me but a bloke in WA about 15years ago
and is one of my favourite stories:
Out on a charter a bunch of blokes were bottom bashing and getting quite competitive. They are getting the odd trout, NW snapper etc when one bloke starts getting dragged around the deck by his handline. He fights the beast to the boat and hauls in a huge Trout- close to 10kgs apparently.
And so the banter begins with this fella letting everyone on the boat know who is the best fisherman, who caught the biggest Trout yadda yadda yadda.
One of the other blokes is sick of this and decides to fix him up, he slyly removes the big trout from the ice box while the other fella wasn't looking, hooks it onto his line and feeds it to the bottom. He give it 30 seconds and then starts putting on a great show of getting pulled around by a massive fish. As he gets it to the boat everyone is peering over the edge to see what it is when a dirting big Noah decides he will have it instead. Everyone stood there shocked except the bloke who caught the big trout in the first place who proceeded to laugh and carry on and tell him he still has the biggest fish on the boat.
I don't know what happened once he was filled in but I can only imagine!

aidbox
10-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I dont think the roo would have lasted long-Ive often thought of putting a dead fish on the line but maybe not a trout!

aidbox
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Just got back from Vanuatu fishing with a couple of mates, one mate and his dad have bought some land over there and just boat a 6m long fibreglass bannana boat which has been converted into the 'game fishing' boat. Whilst trolling skirts for wahoo, sailfish, marlin (anything really) a rod went off and the rachet went off. My mate felt the rod and said " its only a bannnito, too small for me you wind it in". So i was winding in the bannito (not sure of spelling but it is like a mac tuna) and after about 4 winds "BANG", I felt a massive thud and the drag peeled off the line and as i lifted the rod tip there was a commotion at the end of the line-a sailfish had smasehd the fish I was winding in! It was landed and measured 2.3m and it is not a common thing to actually feel a sailfish hit whilst holding the rod (usually in the holder).
This only happened on the way back home so we thought we would drop the skirts out again for the hell of it. About 10mins later a massive black shadow appeared under the skirts and starting bashing skirts left, right and centre! It hit one of the skirts that hard it broke one of the outriggers. It worked its way through to the front lure and smashed it several times before goin away. We estimated it to be a marlin around 3-4m long and somewhere close to 300kg. Had to change a lot of our leaders as it smacked all the lures with its bill.

gregw
09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Was fishing the 4th bouy out from Kurumba many years ago with the brother in law in a 12ft tinny. We had a good haul of Grunter and were just sitting there enjoying the day. Close by about 3 other boats doing the same. One boat was about a 5 metre half cabin and they had a similar haul of fish except they put them in a sugar bag tied to the stern. A massive Tiger shark grabbed the suger bag in one gulp and tried to bite off the bag to get to the fish. He was thrashing around and in doing so pulling the back of the boat down so the couple on board started screaming and went to the bow in fright and to try and keep the boat level. Well luckily the shark bit the bag off and circled around to pick up all the fish and then disappeared. We decided we had enough fish & as this thing was bigger than our boat we headed off home. The other couple seemed to calm down and they left as well. Was a scary moment for a while but everyone survived with the story to tell into the future.

Scott nthQld
09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Was fishing the 4th bouy out from Kurumba many years ago with the brother in law in a 12ft tinny. We had a good haul of Grunter and were just sitting there enjoying the day. Close by about 3 other boats doing the same. One boat was about a 5 metre half cabin and they had a similar haul of fish except they put them in a sugar bag tied to the stern. A massive Tiger shark grabbed the suger bag in one gulp and tried to bite off the bag to get to the fish. He was thrashing around and in doing so pulling the back of the boat down so the couple on board started screaming and went to the bow in fright and to try and keep the boat level. Well luckily the shark bit the bag off and circled around to pick up all the fish and then disappeared. We decided we had enough fish & as this thing was bigger than our boat we headed off home. The other couple seemed to calm down and they left as well. Was a scary moment for a while but everyone survived with the story to tell into the future.

A million bucks says they were mexicans. Very common way to store your catch whilst still fishing, in a bag over the side of the boat. Was the way i did it when i was down there.

wayno60
09-10-2010, 11:28 PM
mmmm ok setting the scene.
Perfectly clear calm night with a full moon high in the night sky, no wind and close to high tide, sitting in the mouth of the boat harbour in the brunswick river, one line out towards the east wall and the other to the west wall.
Early that arvo i had been up to the hwy bridge and got a bucket full of herring, had an early tea and was set for a good nights jack fishing.
That week i had burrowed the ol man 15' half cab and after an hour or two was making my self comfy on one of the padded seats in the cab. Just stairing out the back takin in the serenity.....
Now normally i would have the drag pretty well locked up knowing that if you give a jack an inch he'll take a mile.....I dont know why but i left the drag wide open. Out of the quiet i watch the butt of the rod , which was not in a holder but leaning up against the gunwale, lift about 8 inch's off the deck and the reel screeming..... HOLY SHIT!!!
By the time i got to the rod the run was over....thinking, ok he won that one i started to wide back in and found i was snaged on the rock wall....
Not having a lot to do that night i thought i would lift the anchor and slowly wind myself over to the wall. As i got closer i grabed the spotty and shined it into the water where the line went straight down.
I could see where the line went into the rocks about 2m down and started wondering where the jack went. i could'nt belive that he was still hooked and had swam thru he's tunnel and out the other side, not being able to get away as i hadnt broken the line as you would if you thought you were snaged.
ok what to do now???
so ive got the rod in one hand, the spotty in the other and every now and then pushing the boat off the rocks with the oar. lets try the gaff......what was i thinking???i was way short, net , narrr to short too....ok lash the two together.
that worked i could get down far enough but he just swam around way faster than i could move the gaff in 2m of water.
Thinking about if for a while i hooked up the line and lifted it as much as i could, i had his nose right up against the gaff and was hoping to be able to let line out off the reel as i pulled him up but the swivel was caught in the rocks. (all the time pushing the boat off the rocks.)now this is 20min after the first strike my back was starting to pain.
last chance, try and jag him with the gaff by letting off the presure and quickly turning it then letting him have it....easier said than done.
First two go's hit him in the boney part of the head and just bounced off the third one pinched the line i could do nothing but watch him slowly swim off ito the depths.
as i drifted back away from the wall i opened a can and saluted him. he got the better of me that night......

two nights later we met again but i won that contest..

URAGANGI
10-10-2010, 10:50 AM
My workplace is just a few paces from the Coomera River. I've got it made I'd reckon, because after the days done all I have to do is grab my gear and head down to the resorts private jetty and wet a line before going home or sitting in grid locked traffic.... Perfect.

It was a friday afternoon the conditions were good, it was calm the run in tide was at least an hour away so I had at least a seven hour session in front of me.
For month's now I've been berlying that jetty every second day, this has paid off because the bream and crabs have called this home. I'll post some pics just too give you an idea. Anyway here I was at the jetty nothing could be better the tide has now changed the sun is setting and I've already bagged a few bream, now that dinner has been secured I'm just fishing for fun.

I was using my "Two Dogs" system.....(two rods).... at this time I've been kept pretty busy unhooking and rebaiting I'm having a ball I thought, but little did I know that my bubble was just about too burst.

I was in the middle of winding in my first rod when the second rod's ratched screamed out for mercy. I was at least a good couple of meter's well out of reach from the second rod, there's nothing much I could do about it. That little voice in your head say's (oh shit just let it run!) Bad decision Very bad... The fish that's at the end of that rod is going for gold. By this stage I've wound in the first rod and raced down the jetty to recover the second rod. That sound of a ratchet at near melt down amps up my heart rate my reflexes are sharp but not quite sharp enough. Your bending down to grip your rod, your arms outstreached, your ready to strike...... TOO late the spool has backed up on the level wind, that fish is still running hard.... Your finger tips just brush past the rod as it is jerked into the water.

You may have heard of the pun, Silence is Golden....Not true in this case. I stood there frozen in half striking position in total disbelief of what had just happened.
After a minute or two when I came back around the situation That annoying little voice comes back for two cents worth.("Nice one @#$% head. that ones gone")
Yep if you've ever been close to this, help like that isn't needed.

The only thing that came to mind into recovering the sunken rod was to make a drag line with a narsty set of ganged hook's in hope of snareing your sunken pride and joy. Bugger me in undying persistance and shear arse I've hooked my rod. Your friggin kiddin you tell yourself. I've hooked my sunken rod by one of it's runners. But hey it's not all happy endings yet the rod that I've now recovered is still trying too get away It's Very Much Alive...... A bloody fish is still at the end of it.

After the tug of war was over, I'm now reunited with my muddy companion. And that fish that just put my rod through hell was nothing more than an oversized catfish.....Bad... Bad pussy!

oldie
13-10-2010, 08:14 PM
trolling a big rapala the other week off noosa thought we had a hit then it went slack, trolled around for another 10 minutes then wound in to find a nice pan size snapper attached!! thank goodness cos we caught nothing else but had a feed on the BBQ that night.

another one when i was a young buck in my prime!! i bought this nice overhead rod n reel from cash converters never ever got to use it then one day while fishing for spotted mackerel we caught a massive slimey so on she went to the good old 10kg over head with old hook on wire trace, my mate set the hook as he rested the rod on rear of boat, he dropped in the slimey with foam float up the line and as he dropped it right next to motor, BAM something grabbed it the rod flew into the air and he some how caught the rod mid air he was on and brought in a solid Mac Tuna!!! On my rod!! was the first and last fish that rod caught the bastard!! gee that 5m Quinni fishfinder centre console was a lucky boat!!

spelchek
14-10-2010, 06:23 PM
I once came home from an overnighter to be greeted by the missus who informed me she was spring cleaning and did I want to go to the pub whilst she finished up.

Defore
15-10-2010, 07:49 AM
I once came home from an overnighter to be greeted by the missus who informed me she was spring cleaning and did I want to go to the pub whilst she finished up.

That is not an amazing fishing story, that is an Urban Myth ............. it once happened to a friend of a friend of mine ;D

(you lucky bast*rd)

Ian

Winf
16-10-2010, 09:31 AM
I was anchored off the Cotterell River which is on the western side of Cape York a bit south of the tip flicking a plastic over a bit of a rubble patch when the boat gave a sort of jerk.

There was very little wind or current but I thought it had just drifting back onto the anchor or had maybe dragged the anchor and hooked up again.

It did it again and then the boat starts moving forward. No way I’m thinking, I must be imagining this. Checked the GPS and sure enough, I’m doing a couple of knots and the anchor rope is surging and changing direction towing the boat along.

I grab a hold of the rope and start pulling it up and there is definitely some sort of large beastie pulling on the other end. At this point, visions of sea monsters began to flash through the mind!:o

Finally managed to haul it up and about 6 foot from the surface I see this HUGE stingray with the flukes of the danforth neatly hooked over the front of the ray looking like a bridled horse.

This thing was as wide as the boat across the back (2.4m) and powering along still dragging 5.5m of boat. Tied off the rope onto the bollard to have a think about what to do next.

Tried to call my mate on the radio to come over and check this out but he was out of range. After a couple of minutes it managed to free itself and the ride was over.

Sea monsters exist people, let’s be careful out there.;D

Lancair
16-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I was fishing of Lennox point last year, sunrise, casting SP's from the foredeck of my tinny, enjoying the solitude. I heard a splash from behind me, turned to look and silouheted against the rising sun on the horizon, another humpback whale breached, not 50m from my boat. The most amazing site ever.

Jarrah Jack
16-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Talking about monsters...This did not happen to me thank god but it is a local legend now.

A group of local surfers decided to head out to seal rocks to swim with the seals in their rubber duckie. They anchored the duckie and jumped in with the snorkles. One of them turned around a saw the duckie being attacked by a big white pointer, it didn't last long. They headed for the rocks real quick in panic and started up the rocks. Being breeding season the seals began attacking them from the shore.

There was no alternative than to brave the waters and swim to the mainland, about 400 mtrs all the while wondering what that pointer was up to. They made it ok in the end. Took a while to clean the wet suits though.

wayno60
17-10-2010, 01:56 AM
nah, id be taking on the seals....

steele001
17-10-2010, 07:12 PM
About 6 months ago me and the missus, and a mate and his missus, on some random island off Airlie Beach. Pulled up in the Haines to toss some lures and fresh bait in the mouth of a bay. The girls call "lunch and beer" so down tools on a large rock about 5 mtrs from the water and head over and sit in the shade to sample said wares. All going well with lunch and checking second beer for freshness when my eggbeater with pilchard on it, float past me at about 6 foot off the ground. Decide the beer and heat have got to me when everyone cracks up laughing ... turns out a sea eagle had decided to take the pilchard, and my rod too. Of course manages to remove bait and drop rod just out of casting reach in the sea. Grab my mates rod and wade out to nipple level with a heavy lure to try to recover unlucky rod. Manage to do this but am distracted by the screams of my companions. Look behind me to see what the hell is wrong, just in time to see a large fin about 2 foot high and 1 foot wide swim between me and the shore. Move very slowly back to shore. Pack the rods up and go to pack up the left over bait, just in time to see the eagle leaving with it, plastic bag and all.

castlemaine
17-10-2010, 09:03 PM

She must be related to my missus.

My story,

20+ years ago, a mate rang me to go fishing in the Logan River. Just about the first time we've been fishing, not much experience between us.

So we're fishing in his old man's tinny and I was working for DPI at the time.

Spent most of the morning catching very small bream and catfish and a million small muddies.

About lunch time he says "We can't go home and tell the girls we caught nothing". He harped on the same theme for the next 2 hours. I kept telling him ... "DPI officer, your old man's boat and your car all up for grabs if we get done".

So now we ready to go home and we pulled in a muddie 14.5cm and on he harped on again. OK, I said but no more!

No sooner, it hit the bottom of the bucket, a Fisheries Boat pulls up.

"Hi Guys, caught anything?"

Mate: NO!
Me (at the same): YES <I'm not a good liar>

Oh, Oh, we're in trouble!

Fisheries checked our esky and ...

Fisheries Officer: "Looks a bit small and green. This is my measurement gauge and it is 14.9cm, you have a 1mm variation in your favour and your crab is way too small".

Me: "What's green mean?"

So he explains what 'green' is and gives a warning and sends us off.

I'm sure he knew we were 'green' and catching small crabs and releasing them all morning but kept this only one.

Best Part:
My mate suggests we go down to the Fisho across the road from the Glen Hotel to get some fish and crabs to impress the girls.
Got some and while we were the best with the girls, we both noticed all the sandcrabs were undersized with the tips broken off.

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhh!

We still have a laugh when we talk about it today.

8-)

kingtin
30-10-2010, 11:22 PM
The missus once had a biggy run up the front of the boat. She passed behind me with her line half wrapped round my neck. When I told her to pass it over my head.............she did..........the wrong wayhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/Original%20Smilies/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/Original%20Smilies/shocked.gif I was nearly dragged over the side of the boat but I think I would have been decapitated before I drownedhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/Original%20Smilies/rolleyes.gif 30lb mono can be pretty sharp with a noah on one end and the deckie on the other..........we didn't talk for days ;D

wamjam
31-10-2010, 10:02 AM
LOL......kev
Are you sure she didnt do that on purpose....:o

Two mates and myself were casting lures in a creek up in the gulf a few years back.... we are flogging this sticky snag with jacks not quiet game enough to come out to far from the sticks.... anyway a bigger jack decides to take the mates lure... he lines it up and about to strike and bang !!!! a bloody estuary cod belt the jack to one side and gobbles the lure .... thats good !!... we have a bit of a laugh and unhook the cod and as he drops into the water he spots the other mates lure heading across to the front of the boat and B lines it... and whack , got him again !!!. More laughter... so we make sure there is no lures in the water so we can get rid of this thing !!!...and released it..

Scott

kingtin
31-10-2010, 11:27 AM
LOL......kev
Are you sure she didnt do that on purpose....:o

Probably, if only to silence my instructing her how to play the bugger ;D

kev

red rock cod
03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
fishing in the pearl channel. The bloke in the boat next to us hooks up' Pulls a rod and reel to the surface. Adamant its the one his mate dropped overboard several trips ago

odes20
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Went out for a night trip off Cairns and caught a 7 kg spanish on the bottom before dark in about 30 metres, Sort of a bonus fish really. Went deeper for the night and at about 8 pm in 50 metres I hooked up a good fish on the bottom but early in the fight got cut off.

So I'm just reeling my line minus hook and sinker to re rig and just after I have the line up, out of the watery darkness beside the boat comes this silver flash which flies past me and bangs down on the deck of the boat and skids into the leg of my mate fishing out the other side,
It was another 7 kg spanish thrashing around now on the floor. So I get control of it while being totally amazed that it jumped in the boat,

Grateful that it missed me! But as I get control of it I find my hook and a short tag of my line in its Mouth!!

So it cut me off at 50 m deep swam to the top and jumped in the boat!!

Beats me!

wayno60
05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
unfreakinberliverable

theangryangler
15-11-2010, 07:26 AM
fishing with my granddad few years ago on a beach near sydney (merry beach) in one of his regular jewie spots when he hooked a absolute monster, 2 hours later it was close enough to be netted but the tide had dropped the water level on a inclose sandbar to about 1-2 feet (not enough for the fish to come over) so he sent me on a 200M mission to net it in deeper water on the other side of the snadbar. NO WORRIES i think!!! 15 mins later with him screaming at me to hurry up I wade into waist deep water following his line down to net the "jewie" only to see the BIGGEST hammerhead I have ever seen in reallife or at a aquarium!!! THis thing was BIG easily going 3-4 metres!! well Needless to say I was like a stone being skimmed across the water! most of the way back and i KICK a rock and shred my toes!! now I am thinking there is blood in the water and no idea where this thing is I thought at the tender age of 12 this is it the end.........
obviously made it back with no dramas but it was the last time i netted a fish for him in waist deep water, He still swore to the day of his death i was wrong and it was "A absolute monster JEWIE"!!!;D