PDA

View Full Version : BlueEye Handheld 12v spotlight - Recommendations

ahamay
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I'm interested in the Optronics BlueEye handheld spotlight. About $90 bucks from bias etc. What are people's thoughts on this unit. Is it bright enough ? What sort of distance could I expect from it ?

Also considering the Lightforce 240/170 but they are a much bulkier unit for storage etc.

I mainly want it for navigating around the pin and broadwater at night when the visibility is down (and to spot knobs with no lights).

Thanks

tropicrows
06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I hope there good as I have just purchased one. I was told be a work mate the only problem he had was a blown globe but the light was excellent, hope hes right.

deckie
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Prices of good single HID spotties are coming down fast now. Still aint exactly cheap of course. Will go down this path for xmas this yr. More power, less current, less heat, far better vibration resistance.

The Lightforce ML series arnt much more than those Blueye's and u might want to have a look. Can get them up to 240mm and take their coloured lenses for different conditions....chew a few amps but they're only on when the donk is feeding the system.

If u have the bit extra dough i'd go the Lightforce and a blue lens. Many guys have had the blueye though (incl me) and been very happy. Mine went overboard (dont ask ;D) Been around a long time with few complaints i;ve heard.

legsy11
06-09-2010, 03:39 PM
i get the rechargeable battery powered coleman handheld spotties which have the ablity to be recharged on the boat through a 12v cigirette lighter socket.
very good light, never look at anything else in this price bracket again.

rooboy98
06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
G'day,

I've had one of these for a few years now. They have a good spot beam.

Only problem I've had was the plug started to melt after getting too hot. I changed the cigarette style plug over for a heavier plug and socket (Hella I think?).

No dramas since. I reckon the quality is a bit better than your average $20-30 lights but definitely not outstanding.

Do a search on Blue eye as I'm sure they were discussed a while ago.

Cheers,
Roo.

Midnight
06-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Yep excellent light, they shine straight through rain and spray without light scatter, and shine well into the water also.

Only negative, the plug will melt. You do need to change them out to a good quality one as has been mentioned.

Cheers,
Myles

ashh
06-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I looked at these but then went into superchaep auto and they had hand held plug in 12V spotties for less than 20 bucks each, that was 3 years ago and its still going fine, cheap and nasty but does its job and doesnt matter too much if you drop it in the drink

heres a link to look at: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Spotlight-300-000-Candle-Power-12V-Black.aspx?pid=5672#details

D river
07-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Go the lightforce mate I've been using mine for shooting since I was 17 and I'm 30 now so thats 13yrs of no prob but a broken switch from being left on roof when I took off down the highway and a couple of bulbs. Quality mate pay thye extra couple of bucks.

Kero
07-09-2010, 06:45 AM
I've got an Energizer handheld spot light. It uses 1 high powered LED and gives a beam of 190 meters. Drop/shatter resistant etc and cost me about $88 (on special) from Bunnings. No complaints at all.

Sheik
07-09-2010, 07:56 AM
I have the Coleman LED too, and it works very well. Best thing about it is it is either connected via cig lighter or internal battery and because they draw so little power the battery lasts for ages. My connection inside busted and I took it back for warranty but didn't have the original receipt- they wouldn't accept it. So KEEP YOUR RECEIPT if you buy one.

crabbie
07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Ahamay, I have a Brinkman Q-beam "Black Max" 400,000 candle power glare free 12 v hand held spotlight still in original box for sale. Cost $90 sell $40 if you are interested.
Crabbie

TheRealAndy
07-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I will give the thumbs up for the blue eye. Also give thumbs down on the plug, I too had to change mine cause it melted. I have tried a large number of spotties and the blue-eye is by far the best I have owned. You wont regret buying it. Just buy a decent ciggie plug from bias when you buy the spottie.

ahamay
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Ahamay, I have a Brinkman Q-beam "Black Max" 400,000 candle power glare free 12 v hand held spotlight still in original box for sale. Cost $90 sell $40 if you are interested.
Crabbie

Thanks for the offer, but I ended up with the BlueEye. I'm sure it will do the job.