PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Stessco 445 Renagade S/C

crabbie
05-09-2010, 08:25 PM
This is the question I should probably have asked before ordering one at the boat show., and yes I know Stessco did have a bad reputation for inferior welding in the past, but I believe that is in the past..

Who ownes one, what are the pros and cons, and what have you added or changed to improve your fishing or comfort etc?

Would really appreciate comment from current or ex owners our those with first hand experience with this model only.
Crabbie

Waraba Mick
05-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi crabbie, give strongy a pm, he is a member of this site and currently owns one, fitted with a 60hp 4 stroke. When you pm him ask how " bling tin" is going.;D ;D As far as i know he is enjoying his.

Mick.

strongy
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi Crabbie , and thanks Waraba Mick for your imput, "bling tin" as Waraba Mick describes my stessco is pretty good for what i do , that is mainly estuary fishing ( Pumilstone Passage and pine river ) and an occasional shoot across Moreton bay and brisse river , i have changed the seat supports to alloy pedestals and bases and swivel seat mounts to hold the seats firmer , i`m happy with 60hp , mine is a 2007 model and i haven`t found any cracked welds :) , great to fish from , good high sides ,plenty of storage , handles the chop quite well , yeh i`m happy with mine , good choice Crabbie , cheers Strongy

crabbie
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Strongy,
Thanks for your imput. Appears that not too many Ausfish members
have a 445 Renegade. Interested in your comments about the seats , what exactly was the problem with the originals?. I live a couple of K,s from the factory and have already had contact with the owners son. Would it be worthwhile approaching him with a request to change seats at the build stage as I would assume this to be a cheaper option?
Also did you get the rod locker?
Cheers Crabbie

strongy
10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Crabbie , i found my seats to be loose in the fitting in the floor , they moved with the rocking of the boat ,not to my liking , and yes i have the rod locker ., great idea , this is a overhead view , forward storage hatches you can see , rod locker on portside near the deckies chair, cheers

crabbie
10-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your reply Strongy,
Due to your advice I will go for the rod locker after all ,was just tryng to save a few bucks.
Was thinking of asking if the deckies seat could be shifted back in line with the helm seat,do you see any problems with this if it can be done, reason being that if I mount a sounder on a ram fixture to the side of the console both can see it.
Cheers Crabbie

Waraba Mick
10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Crabbie, forget the cost of the rod locker, once you have them you wont go back. No more rods on the floor (some one will always step on them right on the guides:-[ and on the bad days they wont get drowned ) well worth the cost in my opinion.

Mick.

clarke
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
i have 460 breezeaway r/bout seats did the same thing got 4lt icecreamcon lids cut to outsde diamiter of post then glue to inside of hole

Lancair
11-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I didnt have the stessco boat youre buying but had a 4.2 Catcher. Was brilliant IMHO.
I did have a cracked weld, due to me hitting some rocks at 20+ knots. Opened a crack on the motor / transom frame. Totally my bad.

Tinlegs
11-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Crabbie,

My experience with Stessco is a couple of years old (2007) but I'll tell you about it anyway, just so you're fully informed.

I ordered a 445 Hurricane through a Brisbane dealer - nothing too out of the ordinary about it, just a tinny with side decks. I'm testing my memory, but I was told I'd have a 6-8 week wait.

Well 6-8 weeks came and went, then 3 months, then 4, and I was being told time after time that it was being built and it'd be there next week.

Anyway, I ended up cancelling my order and getting my deposit back which, to the dealer's credit, was agreed to without question.

All the same, I'd sold my other boat and had a few months on unscheduled "no fishing-time" when I usually try and get out every week, so I wasn't real pleased.

I suppose my advice is to check your contract of sale and make sure they stick to their delivery date.

Good luck with your build-up, it looks like a great boat.

Tinlegs