PDA

View Full Version : Australia's greatest boats

Scott Mitchell
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Trailer Boat Issue 260

AUSTRALIA'S GREATEST BOATS

5 Judges, 9 Boats, 2 days! TrailerBoat is giving you a sneak peek at the upcoming DVD for Australia's Greatest Boats!

Preview Trailer @ http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-a...eid/69352.aspx (http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/69352.aspx)

Haines Signature 485 SF came in second against some BIG competition http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Regards Scotto

brisbane_boy
04-09-2010, 11:36 AM
wonder who lined the judges pockets, youd have to be joking, noway they are the greatest ahah

PinHead
04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Is that the same as the Boat of the Year..where you pay to go onto the next stage. Any of these awards thinys..whether for cars, boats or anything else are usually just a marketing ploy and definitely not indicative of anything at all.

finding_time
04-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeh BB

Like any of the "Boat of the year" i guess it depends which "Mag of Show" it's in and whos are the big advertisers/ sponsors of that mag or show!! It's just to subjective to be fair!!

Another question i've always wondered about is so called sponsorships of boats by boat manufactoring companys. When your( a reasonably well known fisherman or a legend in your own lunch box!!;) ) looking at buying a certain type of boat is it really worth getting X amount of dollars off your rig, if you have to spend hours and hours plugging your new boat on as many forums as possible;) ::) ! Not only does your integrity/reputation take a hit but it just must be a general pain in the arse!!! Like who ever believes a thing Paul Worsterling says about e-tec's, or ET on HH???? Far Far better to pay for the rig your self and not be chained to the devil!!!

Ian

By the way Scott how the new video series going!!::) ::) 485 on the cover by any chance!;D

Scott Mitchell
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Another question i've always wondered about is so called sponsorships of boats buy boat manufactoring companys. When your( a reasonably well known fisherman or a legend in your own lunch box!!;) ) looking at buying a certain type of boat is it really worth getting X amount of dollars off your rig, if you have to spend hours and hours plugging your new boat on as many forums as possible;) ::) ! Not only does your integrity/reputation take a hit but it just must be a general pain in the arse!!! Like who ever believes a thing Paul Worsterling says about e-tec's, or ET on HH???? Far Far better to pay for the rig your self and not be chained to the devil!!!

Ian

By the way Scott how the new video series going!!::) ::) 485 on the cover by any chance!;D

Ian

To clarify my position - I DO NOT make ANY money from posting information relating to the companies "I choose to support". I do receive trade discounts for my "purchases" from my long history in the trade - BUT do not get anything else.

I am definitely not chained to the devil ::) The reason I "offered" to support The Haines Group was because they truly looked after us in building what is a great purpose built fishing machine. Every one who has any thing to do with the 485 hull will tell you the same.

You can see by the interest my threads generally attract that a lot of users see some credibility in my posts & respect my opinions. I will always stick to the facts - even when some may not like them & declare any commercial interests where applicable.

At the end of the day I believe most consumers are able to make their own judgement.

Regards Scotto

Roughasguts
04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
He he I remember when the Chrysler Sigma was the car of the year! So I bought one. What crap that was sold it at 22K.

Hmmm And for me boat I have a Signature, but it's okay still have that.::)

Jarrah Jack
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Boat of the year. Car of the year..Father of the year...Its all pretty meaningless and sometimes insulting.

PinHead
04-09-2010, 07:29 PM
did I miss something..I did not see a Maritimo in there nor an Assegai...they must not rate....bugger. Looks likes Haines has them all beat now.

Steeler
04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Is that the same as the Boat of the Year..where you pay to go onto the next stage. Any of these awards thinys..whether for cars, boats or anything else are usually just a marketing ploy and definitely not indicative of anything at all.

Yep,who can remember one year many moons ago wheels car of the year.

And the winner is Holden Camira::)

Tangles
04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
i suppose this test definitively puts the mono versus cat debate to rest, no cats even made the top Ten? or any custom plateys?

PinHead
04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
the Leyland P76 got it one year also.

PinHead
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
BTW..who are the judges and their credentials?

Steeler
04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
the Leyland P76 got it one year also.

Ya much much older than me then;)

Midnight
04-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah but you can fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot of a P768-)

Can't do that in a wee Haines;D

Lovey80
04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeh BB

Like any of the "Boat of the year" i guess it depends which "Mag of Show" it's in and whos are the big advertisers/ sponsors of that mag or show!! It's just to subjective to be fair!!

Another question i've always wondered about is so called sponsorships of boats by boat manufactoring companys. When your( a reasonably well known fisherman or a legend in your own lunch box!!;) ) looking at buying a certain type of boat is it really worth getting X amount of dollars off your rig, if you have to spend hours and hours plugging your new boat on as many forums as possible;) ::) ! Not only does your integrity/reputation take a hit but it just must be a general pain in the arse!!! Like who ever believes a thing Paul Worsterling says about e-tec's, or ET on HH???? Far Far better to pay for the rig your self and not be chained to the devil!!!

Ian

Did I miss something? Who are you referring to???

dodgyone
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah but you can fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot of a P768-)

Can't do that in a wee Haines;D

I get 270l in my 17r fairly regularly. Thats not a big boat.

Scott Mitchell
05-09-2010, 06:27 AM
BTW..who are the judges and their credentials?

Its all in the article - some very experienced boaters working on specific criteria. There will also be a PLATE review next it says in the article ;)

Regards Scotto

ozscott
05-09-2010, 08:53 AM
The p76 wasn't bad. Nice alloy v8 big boot wedge shape and lowered with fat mags they looked the business. This is so much more interesting than boat of the year. Who wants to talk about hey charger next ....

:)

Cheers

FNQCairns
05-09-2010, 09:08 AM
P76 seemed to be a great car compared to the ones built in Oz at the time, if only the suspension was not so soft/horrible, my uncle owned one from new for the next 25 years, only thing that changed on the car in all that time was the early fitting of aftermarket air con.

What actually, was considered wrong with them? doesn't the same engine drive new cars today. where they rusty?..interested if anyone knows.

TREVELLY
05-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Amazing how easily we get off track.

Look forward to plate boats review.

I am glad the reviews I have read to date haven't put me off buying a Noble. I did adjust the seat height rather than find the windscreen height a serious issue worthy of lengthy mention and the ride which gets little mention is very impressive. No longer an ozzie boat though - oh well.

DOGFIGHT
05-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I think i had my first root in a P76

Roughasguts
05-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I think i had my first root in a P76

So how did It go? ............The P76 I mean.

DOGFIGHT
05-09-2010, 09:46 AM
So how did It go? ............The P76 I mean.

The p76 ran out of fuel and thats where it stayed for a week till my next payday so i could afford fuel again

PinHead
05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
the v8 P76 weren't bad..the rest were gutless. But forgetting all that..they were bloody ugly.

you beat me to it Scott..with the Charger..the R/T was a goer.

Now..what was this thread about again.

Chimo
05-09-2010, 10:19 AM
The dealers "boys" had trouble fitting mud flaps to the P 76's! Every time they drilled the holes to bold them on they had to repair the punctured spare tyre....

The V8s were good tho. Still preferred my XW to them

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
05-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Well there you go, i thought they where all sold as aluminium? V8s.

More interesting than the talking about some corporates choice of marketing a handful of boats at punters.

finding_time
05-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Ok that's it with the P76 talk..... looks like we need the Thread Police !!!

D river
05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
69 RT CHARGER painted orange with the cofederates flag on the roof a big 01 on the doors and a set of dixie horns. get rid of the 383 n put in a 426 big block and you got the best car of all time. I had a 6m haines sig and they are the wettest peice of sh#t on the plannet I recon my 4m tinny was drier needless to say its gone to some unlucky bloke who fell for its nice looks like I did

FNQCairns
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
69 RT CHARGER painted orange with the cofederates flag on the roof a big 01 on the doors and a set of dixie horns. get rid of the 383 n put in a 426 big block and you got the best car of all time. I had a 6m haines sig and they are the wettest peice of sh#t on the plannet I recon my 4m tinny was drier needless to say its gone to some unlucky bloke who fell for its nice looks like I did

You came from a history of traditional non VD hulls??

It's the variable dead rise hull that causes that, effectively they created extra planing surface area than one would expect from the measured deadrise.

They have their advantages but also take much to achieve them.

Each to their own but for me and a 5m + fibreglass hull I wouldn't choose a VD hull, if that meant the only choice available was 20 years old it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Mister
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Trailer Boat Issue 260

AUSTRALIA'S GREATEST BOATS

5 Judges, 9 Boats, 2 days! TrailerBoat is giving you a sneak peek at the upcoming DVD for Australia's Greatest Boats!

Preview Trailer @ http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-a...eid/69352.aspx (http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/69352.aspx)

Haines Signature 485 SF came in second against some BIG competition http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Regards Scotto

Is this a joke ::)

AUSTRALIA'S GREATEST BOATS :o :o so can we see the comments and reports for the other "lesser" boats that didn't make this list of AUSTRALIA'S GREATEST BOATS :-X

If I was one of these 5 judges I'd run a million miles away from this claim, what a crock, you have to be joking :D Nah this has to be a joke :P

ShaneC
05-09-2010, 05:58 PM
And a thread encouraging people to attend a meeting to express our views for fishing gets moved from general to a test board?? And this has deteriorated to a P76 debate and stays in boating?? Go figure.....

Let me guess, a Cruisecraft won?? Oh the humanity.....

SnapHead101
05-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Now the Volvo 164E with power steering, that was a real nice boat !

Blusta
06-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't mind the comparisons but the title is a shocker. Who is going to believe that? So many other excellent boats out there...

Gon Fishun
06-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Haines:2vrolijk_08: Beautiful :gorgeous:Haines.:iloveyou::thumbsup::thumbsup::th umbsup::thumbsup:

D river
07-09-2010, 05:56 AM
That orange haines would look good with general lee written on it and a big confederates flag on the roof

Gon Fishun
08-09-2010, 08:17 PM
That orange haines would look good with general lee written on it and a big confederates flag on the roof

Got the correct air horns on the towing tilley but, if ya now what I mean.:jester:

Getout
09-09-2010, 07:32 AM
I read that mag from cover to cover. The test was hardly the result of a broad comparison of the entire range of Australian boats.
How did the Evolution get to the top 5 when its finish and performance were not good?
How can the Haines Sig 485 be considered in the same breath as a 6m cuddy?
I'll guess that the boats on test only came from manufacturers who advertise in the magazine.
Thats OK but it should be called:
"Trailer BOATS advertisers best boats."