PDA

View Full Version : Motor up, down or in bracket when towing?

shaun_s
03-09-2010, 06:37 PM
hey guys,
recently got a new 4 meter tinnie with 30 hp motor. (no power trim & tilt)
still unsure on the best way to protect the transom and motor from any damage while towing on trailer.
i have been towing it with the motor tilted right up.
not sure if i should leave the motor down and tie off the tiller to stop it swinging?
or buy a bracket to support the moter?
what way do you guys use with similar motors?

bigjimg
03-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Put it in a bracket when trailered and occy strap it around the leg.If your in Brissy i''ve got a brand new one under the house you can have for the right price.Jim

=Wookie=
03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I use a bracket for mine as well with occy strap.

Angla
03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Put it in a bracket when trailered and occy strap it around the leg.If your in Brissy i''ve got a brand new one under the house you can have for the right price.Jim

Good advice there and a solution to both of you

Cheers
Chris

tunaticer
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
A bracket is best, but without a bracket you should leave the motor down to save the transom from the stress of a bouncing motor. Try holding a bucket of water out level at arms length for a few minutes, that is the strain you are placing on the transom when travelling.

shaun_s
03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
thanks for the reply guys.
sounds like a bracket is definitely the way to go.
thanks for the offer big jim but im on the sunny coast.
cheers shaun

bigjimg
04-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Yep no worries Shaun.The basic ones are not expensive.This one i've got is the delux one with spring/shock gizmo on it.It''ll find a good home one day,never been used.I was going to use it on the big boat but the trailer does not allow connection.Jim

Axl
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Yep no worries Shaun.The basic ones are not expensive.This one i've got is the delux one with spring/shock gizmo on it.It''ll find a good home one day,never been used.I was going to use it on the big boat but the trailer does not allow connection.Jim

I always put my motor in a transom saver and I only live two minuts from the Manly marina ramps.

If your trailer doesnt have the lug for the motor brackets welded on to it as mine didnt you can buy them from most boat shops in the form of a ubolt type bolt on assembly.

You need to make sure that you boat hull will not hit it when the rig is comming of or onto the trailer though.

Axl
04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Posted twice for some reason contents deleted.