PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Rubber Ducky and a Monster CC

deckie
03-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Was down at Clontarf Marina in Sydney today and spotted a couple of wild rigs u dont see every day.

Biggest, fanciest rubber ducky i've ever seen.

A Capelli 1000 with TWIN 300hp Suzi's. Thats some serious grunt on a serious rubber ducky...or "rigid inflatable" i should say ;D

But why ?....this rig got me intrigued. Anyone know an advantage to these monster RIB's ? Weight perhaps ?

Why on earth would you buy one ?..whats the advantage ? Any good for fishing ? Better ride than a conventional hull ? Beautiful finish on them but i cant figure out what you would use them for ;D

btw....there was an Ocean Pro formula 360 SF centre console just sitting there..now has my drool all over the gunwhales. Biggest CC i've ever seen. I think its the same hull as an Al Dhaen..certainly looks like it.

spelchek
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Excellent tenders to cruising yachts - mate of mine has got a 19 foot rib, calls it his motorised fender.

oldboot
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
There are a number of very good reasons people use RIBs

The rescue groups like em, the police, customs and military like em.

They go like any other boat on the plane, but they came standard with very good level flotation.

they are very stable at rest

because of the soft rounded sides you can put divers over the side very comfrtably and you can recover crew and rescued people over the sides with out too much injury

and you dont need any fenders, so comming along side another vessel, even in rought water or under stressed situations like a boarding is much safer

there are some very big very fast ribs out there....the police have a big black SAS style one down the port that they take out for a blast every now and then just to make sure it goes

Customs ( in co op with the feds and fisheries I think) were recently doing some "random" inspections of trawlers recently...where they would come roaring up behind a trawler and put a couple of blokes over the stern of the trawler before anybody aboard knew what was happeneing

a fast black rib with a couple of big quiet 4 strokes would be just the thing.

cheers