PDA

View Full Version : random engine alarm

trueblue
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
130 hp yamaha salt water series 2 stroke, in good condition

giving a totally random engine alarm that throws it into limp mode with no obvious reason - none of the alarm indicators show reason.

Battery was a bit iffy previously be resolved with new battery. doesn't seem to be the electrical system as everything checks out ok.

mechanic also checked oil injection bottle connections and found loose wire there, but still have the problem - that wasn't the issue.

and, just to be a sh!t, it won't go into the alarm in the tank for the mechanic.......

anyone had a problem like this before.

some trips out it won't happen, other times it will go ino alarm and limp mode 10 times.

otherwise the engine is running perfectly

any suggestions on where to trouble shoot?

cheers

Mick

PinHead
03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I had a Yamaha 115hp years ago..identical to what you are saying..could go 2 or 3 trips and everything ran fine..then for no reason off would go the alarm and limp mode. Eventually found the problem..well Paul Zell did..it was the PCB in the motor. Changed the PCB and never another problem with it.
Dunno where you are but Paul has a business at Yatala I believe..not sure the name of it now.

trueblue
03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm in Arana Hills

whats a PCB?

PinHead
04-09-2010, 05:11 AM
PCB = printed circuit board.

trueblue
04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
what about others, has anyone else had a problem with a random engine alarm, and what was the cause?

f.t.r.
04-09-2010, 07:42 PM
i have the same engine tb, and the only alarm ive had go off is when i put the oil resevior back in its cradle with the feeder hoses kinked thus stopping the flow to the motor.

the first time it happened i diddnt know what it was but it must have bumped its way free. the second time it kept happening so off came the cowling and noticed not much oil in the filler so i played with the hoses and immediately heard the pump start back up and all was good.

hope this helps and good luck

matty

trueblue
04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
oil fill is all good.......... been checked out already

MY ALIBI
27-09-2010, 08:48 PM
hey trublue i have a 225 verado had simular probs on the water , and what it was all but a loose bat terminal . spent 300dls on a wide trip and alarms going and in limp mode heading home , and fixed the problem , worth a try .
hope ya get it sorted

cheers wayne

trueblue
28-09-2010, 11:12 PM
electrical all seems good, no issues identified there

all a mystery

kevthommo
30-09-2010, 12:44 PM
hi haven't been on for a while - just caught up with your post Hope it is all resolved but if not -
I had a similar prob with a yammy 115, 300 hrs old, regularly serviced. random alarm probs seemingly unrelated to speed (would go flat chat no probs, then alarm next time, or heating - would go off immediately leaving ramp and/or at end of 16k run.
suggested fixes were the pcb, pitot tubes salted up at the speedo inlet, restricting the water flow and finally, salt up under the head covers.

All else checked out OK so had the head removed and yes, was salted up and also found a hairline crack in the water pump. had the head cleaned and pump was able to be welded. All up with service about $900
12 months later all good and problem has not recurred.

good luck - Kev

mustang5
30-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Im not sure whether your year model was similar to my old 140, but check the temp sensors above the thermostat. I had one that was iffy and would do it every now and then.

Simple way of telling was to disconnect the sensor and alarm would stop. I left it on though until I checked engine temp with infragun and sure enough, faulty sensor.

It can really only be heat or low oil in the engine tank. If there is oil in there my guess is the temp sensors.

GL with it.

trueblue
30-09-2010, 06:25 PM
you would think that if it is a temp sensor alarm, that the temperature warning would come up on the dashboard indicator (OEM gauges)

but it doesn't give any indication of why the alarm went off.....

mustang5
30-09-2010, 10:29 PM
What Yr model is it?

Does shutting it off and turning it back on immediately fix it?

deepfried
30-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I was out last year on a local pro boat that had the alarm come on and it dropped the revs. Would happen on and off. i am fairly sure it had to do with the electrics/PCB/solanoid ? in the oil temp sensor. he runs 300hp hondas and it had happened to one of the other local pros out there as well. sorry about the lack of tech speak, i just get on the boat.