PDA

View Full Version : Sooty Grunter Help

kingkev
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Been up here in Townsville for the past 4 years and have never tried freshwater fishing. I am now eager to try my luck at catching a sooty grunter. End of the month going up to Innot Hotsprings (not far from Ravenshoe) and was wondering if anybody can give me some tips for fishing around the herbert river up that way... i.e Bait or lure or popper.......whereabouts and are they better caught early mornings or late arvos

Thanks in advance

vinny78
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Never fished that particular area Kev but I do know sooties. I've caught them all through the day but your best chances would mostly be morning or evening. They're not too fussy either when it comes to lures- trout spinners like Celtas, spinnerbaits, soft plastics and small minnow type lures all work well. Couldn't recommend any sort of bait though as I never use it.

Best of luck anyhow, Andrew.

vinny78
03-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention. They're excellent little fighters!

kingkev
04-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks Vinny

I will get myself some small lures. I am using 14 lb line with 10 lb leader on a spinning reel and a whiting rod. Hope that does the trick. Is there anywhere closer than ravenshoe where these critters live?

watch this space

kingkev
04-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks Vinny

I will get myself some small lures. I am using 14 lb line with 10 lb leader on a spinning reel and a whiting rod. Hope that does the trick. Is there anywhere closer than ravenshoe where these critters live?

watch this space

hairypunt
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey mate you can catch sootys, jp's and jacks not far out of tville in most of the little creeks that go under the bruce highway rollingstone, aligator, crystal etc.
Most of the areas are quite shallow i'd suggest small poppers and stickbaits bubble pop 45's, tt pencils, rebel pop r, dogx jr and water mocassins.

Cheers Kyle.

kingkev
04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Kyle

Kelvin Williams
04-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Try the bassman 1/4 and 3/8 schoelfield purple skirt with downsize blade and single rear willow. This has scored over 100 fish for one day in the herbert.
They are great fun.

marto78
04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
They love bacon and cheese rolls.

rooboy98
04-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Soft plastics, fizzers, spinners, small hard body lures, flies, a piece of raw steak......The greedy little buggers will grab just about anything !

Either a fly or fizzer worked slowly back over the top of some submerged timber laying horizontal is my favourite scenario though.

Cheers,
Roo.

Bad_Bubby
05-09-2010, 03:06 AM
Hey Kev,

The Herbert is the closest relaible provider of sooties north of Townsville. You don't need to drive to Ravenshoe, there is access out Abergowrie way.

Twilight times are best epecially with topwater lures. Daytime requires deeper divers, or plastics. Keep everything light 4-8lb line class and 10lb leader is ideal. Casting distance is an advantage, and when using small lures you don't want heavy line holding you back. Since it is mostly snag casting, having some casting accuracy is essential.

Sooty fishing is active fishing, less than five casts per snag, then onto the next one. Pack light, but still carry a decent amount of water.

kingkev
05-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Sounds like I have a chance

Only going to ravenshoe for family things to do, however, I must get some fishing in otherwise they do not go again

mouse71
05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
g'day mate, most of your bream style of lures will work,
if you want to soak some bait, try bullocks heart or use the secret bait for sooties on the tablelands, cubes of cheese
been braining 'em in Koombooloomba on cheese, they just seem to love it

flatzie
05-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes as mentioned they take almost all small lures, Ive caught them two at a time on Gold Bombers in the Wenlock. And yes they love cheese and Bullock heart if you want to try bait.
Someone once commented that Sooty fishing is the same as bass fishing, except that you catch fish!
I caught many of these boys in the Walsh River around Dimbulah as well. Always did better in the Gulf streams then the Eastern rivers, but of course they are in both.
Happy fishing!
Flatzie