PDA

View Full Version : Salting fresh baits

Kearnsy
28-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I am in the process of getting a dedicated bait salting area in the garage set up , I have a couple of old school salting recipies but I am after a couple more tried and true . I will be salting things like pillies , bonito fillets , etc .

Cheers all,

peterbo3
28-08-2010, 08:16 PM
No secrets because I do not have any. Lucky Phill & I salted 50 kg of VERY fresh mullet fillets some six weeks ago. They are going to 1770 for the M&G.
Put a layer in the esky followed by salt, another lawer of fish, then salt..........
Let them sit for about 15 minutes then drain off the juice.

Into ziplock bags after draining then into the freezer.

Noelm
01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I have never been a real fan of salted bait, but the method mentioned above will work just fine, plenty of people salt their bait untill it is just a dried out "jerky" then soak it for a while before use and it kind of reconstitutes a bit, others salt for a bit then freeze before it is dried out too much. Pilchards are Ok if salted, then frozen, it will harden them up quite a bit.

Cheech
01-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Peter, I have started salting pillies same way as you describe. But we leave them 24 hours. Was surprised where you say 15 minutes for mullet. Would not have thought it would do much in such a short time.

35kg jew
01-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi mate i salt bonito all the time its the only bait i like to use. I generally just lay out a bunch of newspaper in the sun place the bonito down and just cover it wit salt more the better.Than i just leave all day i dont tip out the juices as would prefer the juice to dry in wit the salt. All depend how hard u like your bait i like my bonito tough as i fish off the beach and saves me loosing lots oof bait to pickers!

cheers

Dignity
09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I am in the process of getting a dedicated bait salting area in the garage set up , I have a couple of old school salting recipies but I am after a couple more tried and true . I will be salting things like pillies , bonito fillets , etc .

Cheers all,

What are your tried and true recipies. I also only let the salt sit for about 15 mins but having a cryovac machine I find this can make all the difference, adds about 50 cents per bag but it does seem to manage to preserve the bait better. A good cheap supply of cryovac on a roll is imperative.

For Steve
10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
The technique varies depending on why you're salting your baits - ranging from just to toughen them up, to preserving them to keep at room temperature. So from 15 minutes up to 10-14 days can be needed. Try adding 1 cup of Borax to 3 kg of salt for the fully preserved baits.

Kearnsy
15-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I usually get the block of pillies in a brine of salt , brown sugar and salt water. Leave them in the brine and take them out as I need them

wetnwild11
16-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi all , I have been salting pillies, bonito, mullet and prawns (left overs) for quite a while and all I do is use a tupperware type container and just put the pilles in layers with salt between the layers then seal and place in the bottom of the fridge. It helps if "she who must be obeyed" does'nt know!
Cheers
Eric