PDA

View Full Version : yammy tacho??

rando
28-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a 6 year old yammy 40. 3 cylinder 2st carby model.
Can I fit a tacho?

where would I get one?
Is it a job for a technician or can a dummy like me do it;D??ed

I looked on the Yamaha Australia web page for accessories but they only list an hour meter for two strokes.

Thanks in advance for any & all advice!

Rando

FNQCairns
28-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Any outboard tacho with a pole setting switch to suit you engine would work, you will need to find out which wires or options for wires to suit your powerpack you can fit or attach, then the unit itself only needs power from the battery or engine loom if it runs it's own charge circuit.

Purchase a s/h one from the wreckers for around the same price as a new genuine landed from the states.

Too many variables to say for sure what you need or don't need as engines are individual, you may be able to buy a loom from the wreckers for the 40 that does the same job as the bigger engines and this simplifies the fitting of all accessories greatly, many 40s where fitted as twin engines over time so the looms /upgrade would be available somewhere new/SH...need the applied yamaha 40hp knowledge though.

Another option would be to purchase an induction tachometer, these will have a tail that wraps around the number 1 or whichever sparkplug lead and simply counts every time it fires.

I don't know the options for remote mounting of these units but for sure somewhere in the US or here you will find one...hopefully water proof/resistant

Tickleish
28-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Sorry i be more specific but i had one called a tiny tacho. As FNQ said it was induction style.

Their was a time delay of a few seconds but still worked well.