PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - boat positioning

rhino01
25-08-2010, 07:37 PM
i am a newbie to offshore fishing - the last few times I have been out the current / drift and direction of my boat have been opposite..... the bait / rig comes back towards the back of the boat :( :( very frustrating :( :(

Is there anything i can do to change this - if anything - or is it just one of things that u must deal with????

ps thanks for the contact phone to get clears done on my boat - all done and look great

FNQCairns
25-08-2010, 07:49 PM
So the wind and flow are more or less opposing? this slows the boats over ground travel to slower than the flow of water your bait is in.... if so then throw out a small para anchor or the like, a bucket even.

rhino01
25-08-2010, 07:54 PM
i am at anchor not drifting

Daisy Burnett
25-08-2010, 08:35 PM
If you were at anchor was there a strong breeze forcing the stern of the boat to face into the current???

rhino01
25-08-2010, 08:42 PM
not a strong breeze - probably 5 - 10 knots max. 15 knots

FNQCairns
25-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Ok at anchor use the outboard motor to act as a rudder in the direction that suits best, you can also raise or lower if you would like the wind to have more effect or the current at any time, it will become second nature.

Again a para anchor or bucket can help even more whenever needed. Short of these things use a bigger sinker:)

Angla
26-08-2010, 01:24 AM
I find that I am anchoring less as when the drift is fast then the para anchor normally slows this to a fishable state where you then make passes over your fishing area. Some times it will even hold you still against the forces of wind and current.
It will often make a unfishable spot more fishable.

Cheers
Chris

marto78
26-08-2010, 10:07 AM
You can always throw out the para anchor while you have the pick on the bottom this should swing your boat at least side on if not all the way around. Just an idea havent tried it as yet as we tend to drift most of the time.

deckie
26-08-2010, 11:13 AM
If its not too rough then u can bridle rig the anchor quite easily. There are overpriced clips on the market available. Bascially you are setting the boat at an angle to the wind and current by connecting front and back off to one side. Type in "bridle rig anchor" or "ezy lay bridel anchor" or something like that into google and see what comes up...might help.

In the meantime try experimenting moving the motor about with the steering wheel at rest , treat it like a rudder...often its enough with the passing current to keep at least a favorable angle. Works well when drifting in light to moderate conditions too.

Marlin_Mike
26-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Bill Corten runs not only a bar crossing course, but I believe he runs a course on off shore boating/fishing.

Covers using sounder, GPS, anchoring fishing etc etc. Might be worth ringing him about it.

Cheers

Mike