PDA

View Full Version : Auxilliary Motor.

Chris Mc Guinn
23-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Can anyone help me with advice on what size motor would be sufficient spare on my 4.93 m Clark Abalone? She has a 70 HP Evinrude showing a bit of age and I am wondering if 15HP will work or should it be 20 HP. Would like to get further out to the reef at 40 k or so and need to feel more secure!! Thanks for any ideas, Chris.

Angla
23-08-2010, 11:19 PM
If you can't be sure of the one motor then I would update to a new and more reliable one. All new motors should be very reliable out of the box. Save yourself the costs of a auxiliary. Also have good communications equipment and safety gear for that eventuality. Coast guard membership is also a must for a rescue cost saving and good for them if you never need them.

Cheers and safe boating
Chris

CT
24-08-2010, 10:27 AM
There is a good article by one of the Websters freely available through their seamedia site specifically on necessity, suitability and sizing of auxilliarys.

Cheers
Craig

cormorant
24-08-2010, 11:00 AM
If you can't be sure of the one motor then I would update to a new and more reliable one. All new motors should be very reliable out of the box. Save yourself the costs of a auxiliary. Also have good communications equipment and safety gear for that eventuality. Coast guard membership is also a must for a rescue cost saving and good for them if you never need them.

Cheers and safe boating
Chris

I can't disagree more

Correct always have your main motor in top nick but even new motors can fail or battery, hit a log etc etc. How many people cary spare props etc??

An oar or paddle on a more than 10 foot boat is liek pissing into the wind

Be self sufficient and don't reply on other to save you. A auxillary can be started without battery , has own fuel supply and can have a charge circuit to run radio and bilge pump along with holding your nose in the wind/ swell and possibly even a slow home journey on a good day.

Even better traven in boats in pairs and keep a designated tow rope, decent tow point and actually have a go at how hard it is to tow a boat one day.

Set em up properly with a solid mount, keep em maintained and use them to troll to keep em used regularly.

Don't rely on other people and as a backup and always be a member of VMR , coastguard as they are good services.

PS Most people don't spend the extra and get a extra long shaft and a high thrust prop and never get thr best out of their auxilary. Really is worth setting them up right so they can be used when teh crap hits the fan.

We have used as small as 6hp as they are light and also used on another family boat but 10hp approx offers a great selection of motors.

Trailering and using on crappy brackets is a nightmare so get a decent one built.

Chimo
24-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Chris

I used a 9.9hp on a 5.6M Al with a cuddy and it was fine for making good slow cruising (non-planing) speed.

We used an 8 HP on the same boat one trip and while retrieving a set line just outside of the surf break we (I) ran over the line and fouled the prop on the main motor. My mate lowered the 8 HP into the water, started it and held us into the rising wind and waves until I was able to tilt up the main and clear the prop.

Moral of story, an 8 HP will hold against wind a wave but not make ground, a 9.9HP would have been 15% better and still saved the day. A 15HP will weigh the same as the 9.9 HP (in a 2 stroke) and would also be good.

For trolling the 9.9 was great and a 15 HP would also be good. so for your size boat IMHO more than 15 HP is probably overkill.

You still need to get you main motor into good running condition though.
Also just for fun try and attach a tow line to your trailer / winching bow eye while your at sea. I find its very hard to do without taking a swim and you dont want to get towed from anywhere else!

Cheers
Chimo

Crocodile
24-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Hello Chris Mc Guinn ,
I have used a couple of aux on a 16 foot 'glass boat.
5 hp was useless.
10 hp was quite good, would really push the boat against wind/waves at say 5 knots.
On your boat you would need a 25 to plane, which is far too heavy.
IMHO an 8hp would be a good compromise between weight and power on your fairly light boat.
A 15 would be much better for say an extra 10kg.
You will need a sturdy, height adjustable bracket that is strongly bolted to the transom.
It would be a long and slow trip home but much better than paddling.
Cormorant's comments re long shaft a spot-on, the 10 that we used was a short shaft and would ventilate unless it was sitting very low in the water. Unfortunately a long shaft does not suit most small tinnies so you would have to build up the transom if you wanted to use it on a small tinnie.
Also fit a three bladed high thrust prop to the aux, again no good for a tinnie.

Is your 70 self mixing?, if it is then you have an issue with a supply of 50:1 two stroke oil to the aux because your tank will have straight petrol.
Carry some extra two stroke oil and make an educated guess when you add it to the tank.
Or, buy a 4 stroke aux, which is very expensive.
As you can see, none of this is easy or cheap but much better than paddling.
For me, unless you boat in remote areas proper maintenance of the main, membership of VMR, a good EPIRB and radio is an easier solution.

wrxhoon
24-08-2010, 07:25 PM
[quote=Angla;1200020]If you can't be sure of the one motor then I would update to a new and more reliable one. All new motors should be very reliable out of the box.
They are but anything can and does happen at times .

Save yourself the costs of a auxiliary. I dissagree with that. I have a 2Yo engine with 200 hours and I have a 15 hp auxiliary as well.

Also have good communications equipment and safety gear for that eventuality. Coast guard membership is also a must for a rescue cost saving and good for them if you never need them.Thats the law so you need that anyway.

For your boat a 10 hp is about right with the correct prop she should push your boat up to 8 kn in calm water and 5-6 outside , enough to get you home as quick as a tow . Make sure you get a low pitch prop , like a 5" , don't use a 9" because the motor will labour and you won't be able to rev it , you could even kill it in a few hours at WOT.
If you have a 4 stroke main you can still use a 2 stroke auxiliary, just carry some oil with you .
I have a 200 Merc Opti main and a 15 HP 2 stroke, I have the 23 lt portable tank with me with very little fuel in it. I carry one lt of oil in the boat and I have a pump that I can get fuel out of the main tank to fill the 23 lt if I have to .

Chris Mc Guinn
28-08-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks Chris, Motor seems in good nick but is 15 yo Evin 2 /st, I have had a full service by a good bloke!! Its a heavy old Abalone Cent Console hull and although still strong and well equipped would not merit the cost of a new main motor so after all the good advice I will invest in a VG or new 15 hp long shaft 2 /st and Coast Guard membership. Have vhf, chartplotter and a mate with a bigger boat and newer motor to convoy with if we go out too far!! Thanks again, Chris. :)

Cheers and safe boating
Chris

Chris Mc Guinn
28-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks Chimo,
Out of all the advice which has been fantastic it seems I shall buy a good 15hp long shaft 2/stroke to be sure. Joining the Coast Guard is a must and in Townsville they are exellent by all reports. Will keep my 70 Evinrude fully serviced and get used to my vhf and gps system. Thanks again, Chris.
Chris

I used a 9.9hp on a 5.6M Al with a cuddy and it was fine for making good slow cruising (non-planing) speed.

We used an 8 HP on the same boat one trip and while retrieving a set line just outside of the surf break we (I) ran over the line and fouled the prop on the main motor. My mate lowered the 8 HP into the water, started it and held us into the rising wind and waves until I was able to tilt up the main and clear the prop.

Moral of story, an 8 HP will hold against wind a wave but not make ground, a 9.9HP would have been 15% better and still saved the day. A 15HP will weigh the same as the 9.9 HP (in a 2 stroke) and would also be good.

For trolling the 9.9 was great and a 15 HP would also be good. so for your size boat IMHO more than 15 HP is probably overkill.

You still need to get you main motor into good running condition though.
Also just for fun try and attach a tow line to your trailer / winching bow eye while your at sea. I find its very hard to do without taking a swim and you dont want to get towed from anywhere else!

Cheers
Chimo

Chris Mc Guinn
28-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks Cormorant, All of your advice will be taken up, 15 hp long shaft and Coast Guard membership seems essential here in Townsville. have vhf, plotter etc and main motor has been fully serviced so here we go!! Good fishing to all who helped, Chris.
I can't disagree more

Correct always have your main motor in top nick but even new motors can fail or battery, hit a log etc etc. How many people cary spare props etc??

An oar or paddle on a more than 10 foot boat is liek pissing into the wind

Be self sufficient and don't reply on other to save you. A auxillary can be started without battery , has own fuel supply and can have a charge circuit to run radio and bilge pump along with holding your nose in the wind/ swell and possibly even a slow home journey on a good day.

Even better traven in boats in pairs and keep a designated tow rope, decent tow point and actually have a go at how hard it is to tow a boat one day.

Set em up properly with a solid mount, keep em maintained and use them to troll to keep em used regularly.

Don't rely on other people and as a backup and always be a member of VMR , coastguard as they are good services.

PS Most people don't spend the extra and get a extra long shaft and a high thrust prop and never get thr best out of their auxilary. Really is worth setting them up right so they can be used when teh crap hits the fan.

We have used as small as 6hp as they are light and also used on another family boat but 10hp approx offers a great selection of motors.

Trailering and using on crappy brackets is a nightmare so get a decent one built.

Chris Mc Guinn
28-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Thanks WRX, I am convinced after all the advice to go with a new or near new 2 stroke long shaft 15 hp. Will talk to the guys in Townsville about prop options!!Will also join VMR and get more familiar with my vhf, just got my ticket to operate!! Is wrx a Subi sign? Thanks, Chris.
[quote]
They are but anything can and does happen at times .

I dissagree with that. I have a 2Yo engine with 200 hours and I have a 15 hp auxiliary as well.

Thats the law so you need that anyway.

For your boat a 10 hp is about right with the correct prop she should push your boat up to 8 kn in calm water and 5-6 outside , enough to get you home as quick as a tow . Make sure you get a low pitch prop , like a 5" , don't use a 9" because the motor will labour and you won't be able to rev it , you could even kill it in a few hours at WOT.
If you have a 4 stroke main you can still use a 2 stroke auxiliary, just carry some oil with you .
I have a 200 Merc Opti main and a 15 HP 2 stroke, I have the 23 lt portable tank with me with very little fuel in it. I carry one lt of oil in the boat and I have a pump that I can get fuel out of the main tank to fill the 23 lt if I have to .

STUIE63
28-08-2010, 07:36 AM
one point that was made earlier is that if you are towing you should tow from your bow eye

tunaticer
28-08-2010, 10:17 AM
You can rest assured that when you need the auxilliary motor the conditions will be against you and you will be way out further than you wanted to rely on that little donk. The problem with auxilliary motors is they just sit there in case something goes wrong. Therfore they get much less attention and maintenance and are probably more inclined to not do the job well. If you had an auxilliary motor on the back of the boat would you every single year change the impellor if it has not been used? You should. The same goes with a whole lot of other deteriorating things that should be addressed with normal maintenance.

wrxhoon
28-08-2010, 12:14 PM
[quote=Chris Mc Guinn;1201465]Thanks WRX, I am convinced after all the advice to go with a new or near new 2 stroke long shaft 15 hp. Will talk to the guys in Townsville about prop options!!Will also join VMR and get more familiar with my vhf, just got my ticket to operate!!

15 hp is even better, most 15's weigh the same as 10's.
Make sure you get a small pitch prop so your engine will rev to its recommended rpm at WOT, if not it will be like going up a very steep hill at full trhotlle in top gear and you are not picking up speed .

Don't forget you have to run the 15 everytime you go out even if its done on a tank at home .

Is wrx a Subi sign? Thanks, Chris.

Yes it is, it was given to me by others in my earlier racing days .

Chimo
28-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi C McG

The guys on here can be such worry worts!

As I said earlier the 15HP is the same weight as the 9.9HP

Now to make sure you get lots of use out of the 15HP and its always ready to use for dragging lures or to get you home if you every need it all you have to do is buy a little tinny that you can use the 15 HP on when its too windy or rough outside.

You can never have too many boats.!!

Cheers
Chimo

cormorant
28-08-2010, 01:49 PM
My only problems with Aux is the size of the cowls on some of them and the weight and how they sit when not in use or trailering.. Then again some smaller motors weigh less. Fron 10-15 hp you need very sturdy mounting but weight is OK as tank one side and motor the other.

If a mate has a small motor give it a go and see how it works. A short run even with the wrong prop will give you a worst case and won't kill the little outboard.

Like I said earlier if you are going wide we usually run the aux at the wharf and while in the 8 knot zones as it keeps it fresh and we know all is OK on the day and people on board know it is OK - only takes 5 minutes extra to fulsh and run the fuel out of it. We carry a spare impeller for it and do change it on a 18month basis and if we used it less it would be on a 12 month annual. Has come in very useful when a gearbox decided it's internals wanted freedom and didn't like captivity in a gearcase.

Throw a up a photo when you are mounting it and one when using it in the water.

Guido
28-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Had a 6hp on a 4.5m centre console and it pushed it along at a brisk walk/light jog. Certainly not quick but felt assured it would get us home if the old evenrude we had failed. It would be a different story in really poor conditions but in a 4.5m boat we tried to avoid that situation. It got a run every trip as it pushed us at a good trolling speed.

15hp would be a solid choice for your boat.

Guido