PDA

View Full Version : Tingalpa Creek

Louis
23-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Reminiscing of times gone by:

I went for a paddle up Tingalpa Creek on Sunday in my canoe. A very nice paddle. I saw the occasional mullet jump. Maybe 2 or 3.

But here is the thing. I remember as a child when I was in our car and my Father drove across the bridge going over the creek. Each time I would see how many mullet I could see leap from the water. Each time I would see at least one. Often 2 or 3.

Driving over the bridge I had a view of the creek for approximately 4 or 5 seconds and I nearly always saw at least one fish jump. Now 35 years or so later I see 2 or 3 mullet jump while I’m actually on the water for 3 hours or more.

Times have changed.

Does anybody else remember the mullet jumping like crazy in Tingalpa creek years ago?

Louis

albey
23-08-2010, 05:42 PM
It is not necessarily how times have changed but possibly the time of the year has changed.Try a paddle up the creek in Apr May Jun when they are going up the creek to breed or leaving the creek after breeding.
Mind you I still think your statement is still correct about how times have changed.
Probably climate change,or possibly fishing pressure(shut the creek down???)

Blackened
24-08-2010, 04:40 PM
G'day

Or possibly infrastructure and progress and pollution... imagine what the whole catchment was like 35 years ago (I don't as i'm only 25!) but point being, in the past 15 years i've been on this creek, everything around it has come forward leaps and bounds, and so had the degradation.

Dave

gunna
24-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Ah - you blokes are just trying to make me feel old:-? .

OK - as a 12 year old ( 1964) I used to ride the pushy from Carina to Tingalpa with the rod strapped to the bike. Usually had earth worms or old prawns. Fished a mile or so east of the bridge. Fun times with the odd bream and flathead. Much excitement the day we got a little soapy jew.

Other days - if we were feeling lazy, we would just ride down to Bulimba Ck and catch eels and catties. Take them home and cook them on a fire in the backyard. Mum wouldn't let us bring them in the house :P :P .

Yep - things sure have changed.

oldboot
26-08-2010, 10:03 PM
There is good and bad in both tiny creek and bulimba creek.

I hope the arsnic levels have come down in bulimba creek, I can remember seeing wool skins hung out to dry at the tannery right next to the old cleveland rd bridge on bulimba creek.....some of the sections of ground where the retirement village now stands were so badly contaminated they had to be capped with concrete....and there was a second tannery up nearer to wecker rd that was still operating till the eighties....all now under real estate developments.

In the early days of sewerage in that area, overflows and spillages were common from the pipes and the treatment plant right next to bulimba creek....and treatment back then was not real flash.

We used to throw off at the people buying in carindale stage 1....with a suprerb view of the treatment plant.

Tinny creek seems to be looking a little better lately, but people I speak to say it it has never been the same since the damn went in.....when I was young it was popular to swim in tinny creek next to the old cleveland rd bridge..... but many would not.......from what I hear there are sections of contaminated land on the banks of tinny creek too.

Lots of our creeks are suffering because the EPA will not allow dredging of the mouths...........if the mouths were dredged this would allow greater tidal water flow to purge the creeks and improve water quality.........tinny creek is tidal all the way to the damn wall.

cheers

Axl
27-08-2010, 06:10 AM
I did not realise that it was the EPA stopping the dredging of the mouths of Tinny and Lota creeks thanks oldboot.

At low tide the water hieght at the mouth is only ankle deep maybe if they (the EPA) bothered to send someone down there at low tide for a look they would change there mind.

I too grew up hanging around these creeks throughout the eighties I am 37 you would be out the door straight after breaky and return home just on dark after an action packed day many fond memories come too mind involving fishing,crabbing,boating and simply being in the outdoors just to name a few.

I still take the dog for a walk down to Lota creek as often as I can and quit a few guys I know wet a line down there with there kids regulary but as far as the fishing goes we certainly caught more back then than we do now.

The creek looks as if it is in alright condition and over many years of clean up Australia day people doing there bit (more power to them) a massive amount of crap has been removed.

You can still get a feed of muddies out of Lota creek if you can stop your pots from being stolen and if you are keen enough at the right time of the year you can get a feed off prawns but as for a feed of fish it certainly is alot harder today than it was 25-30 years ago. But as they say thats progress????

Oh yeah to get back to the question asked by Louis I do remember there being alot more mullet jumping out of the water back then.

oldboot
27-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeh in the past when harbours and marine were resopnsible for all this sort of stuff......dredging needed, dredging done..

Now the EPA is so caught up in the precautionary princple getting any dredging done is a pain...unless you are a government facility like the port.

eprapah creek has the same problem and like almost every other costal creek in SEQ there is a sewage treatment plant.....there are studdies that show dredging the mouth of eprapha creek would improve water quality......and there is an offer of a suction dredge it free of charge..... but nothing has happened.

There are several long standing marine businesses there that have a constant battle getting craft in and out.....the mouth there too is anckle deep at la good low water in places.

with all of these creeks there is deper water further inside the mouth, and this retains poor quality water between tides.....all of these creeks have some sort of up stream flow modification and catchment modification that has reduced natural flows during storm events, so the mouths do not scour out with the big rains and the same causes bring down more sediment.

hence the problems.....all these creeks would be more healthy with a mouth dredging every few years or so.

cheers

PinHead
27-08-2010, 12:28 PM
There is good and bad in both tiny creek and bulimba creek.

I hope the arsnic levels have come down in bulimba creek, I can remember seeing wool skins hung out to dry at the tannery right next to the old cleveland rd bridge on bulimba creek.....some of the sections of ground where the retirement village now stands were so badly contaminated they had to be capped with concrete....and there was a second tannery up nearer to wecker rd that was still operating till the eighties....all now under real estate developments.

In the early days of sewerage in that area, overflows and spillages were common from the pipes and the treatment plant right next to bulimba creek....and treatment back then was not real flash.

We used to throw off at the people buying in carindale stage 1....with a suprerb view of the treatment plant.

Tinny creek seems to be looking a little better lately, but people I speak to say it it has never been the same since the damn went in.....when I was young it was popular to swim in tinny creek next to the old cleveland rd bridge..... but many would not.......from what I hear there are sections of contaminated land on the banks of tinny creek too.

Lots of our creeks are suffering because the EPA will not allow dredging of the mouths...........if the mouths were dredged this would allow greater tidal water flow to purge the creeks and improve water quality.........tinny creek is tidal all the way to the damn wall.

cheers

we used to play in those paddocks where Carindale is now..chasing the cattle..shooting the hares..swimming in Bulimba Creek..all good times.
Bulimba Creek is now a disgusting mess..went for a yak along there a few weeks back.

There used to be a rope hanging over Tingalpa Creek near the greyhound track..spent some time swimming in there also..never a problem back then.

Tingalpa and Bulimba Creeks have seen massive advancements over the years..nothing stays the same and never will.

charleville
27-08-2010, 03:33 PM
we used to play in those paddocks where Carindale is now.

Ditto.

I live in Carindale now, not too far from the old tannery and I would never let my (now thirty-something) kids play in that area when they were growing up. It is pretty these days and makes a great walking and cycling area but I would still be worried about residue arsenic levels in area immediately downstream from about the Harvey Norman shop.

gunna
27-08-2010, 05:01 PM
My secret eel spot was directly under the tannery. Ate plenty too. That might explain a few things :P :P :P .

Blackened
28-08-2010, 09:20 AM
G'day

You old guys know carindale as it was? My great grandmother had massive amounts of land at the end of cribb rd, and where you see "Edwards Park", down by bulimba creek, that was named after our family.

My grandfather also had his quarry out there supplying a lot of the sandstone to the buildings in brisbane and surrounds in the 40's and onwards.

I still remember the old places there up un till they sold up in the late 80's or early 90's... things certainly have changed.

Dave

PinHead
28-08-2010, 09:49 AM
It was not Carindale back then Dave..just cow paddocks and the tannery down near Old Cleveland Road..I think it was Redbank Meat Works that owned it then. They used to fatten the cattle there for a while before sending them to the abbatoirs at Cannon Hill. Used to walk to school along Creek Road..2 lanes with dirt edges..a goat track back then. Had some great times...pocket money was collecting golf balls at Pacific Gold Course..swimming was in the creek..make hyacinth rafts and cruise down the creek. Fishing with the fishing club once a fortnight.

OH..and if you call us old again..we are gunna head to your place and beat the hell out of you with out false teeth.

oldboot
28-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I still maintain that "Carindale" is not a suburb, only a real estate development on the edge of belmont.

I remember when if you went straight ahead at the end of Winstanly street youa would have gone thru a barbedwire fence and down a dirt bank.

We Carina boys should have some sort of reonion some time.....I didn't realise there were so many on the board.....the belmont boys and the camp hill boys can come too.

cheers

PinHead
28-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I still maintain that "Carindale" is not a suburb, only a real estate development on the edge of belmont.

I remember when if you went straight ahead at the end of Winstanly street youa would have gone thru a barbedwire fence and down a dirt bank.

We Carina boys should have some sort of reonion some time.....I didn't realise there were so many on the board.....the belmont boys and the camp hill boys can come too.

cheers

yep..spent my first 20 years of life in the housing commission area at Carina..cnr of Buckley and Buzacott Streets, Carina.
Went to Carina State School and the Camp Hill High..member of Camp Hill Belmont Fishing Club from when i was 12 until 20..could write a book about that mob.

Gunna was a member also.

Any of those streets that went straight into Creek Road would lead you to barbed wire and a cow paddock.

A few "known" people grew up there..Terry Maskenroth just around the corner from us..Kim Mothershaw..radio announcer is an ex Carina boy also..quite a few first grade RL players.

Plus..there were a few notorious people also.

oldboot
28-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Well you would have known the Midgley's....and depending on which corner that was, you might have had a brother in my class.

Oh yes there were some interesting people all right.....the Deans for instance......

My parents were in tha batch of pommy imigrints with the Midgleys and the Sharps and so forth.

cheers

PinHead
28-08-2010, 08:31 PM
the Midgleys rings a bell. I don't have a brother so it may have been me.
The deens..lived in ..hell ..what is the street? Indians..uncles are the deen brothers demolition mob.

PinHead
28-08-2010, 08:32 PM
ok..just thought about it..the midgelys i think lived one door back..next to the Thompsons? 12 kids i nthe Thompson family??

oldboot
28-08-2010, 10:45 PM
The Midgeleys lived one door back from the corner.....the Makers lived on their corner.....yep big catholic family........there were quite a few big catholic families in that area.

You ceretainly did not mess with come of those cathoilc families.....there was always a bigger borther or sister.

The Pots' family, a one time had a child in every grade and one spare.

A major talking point..and a boost to the local primary schools was when Fr Snackbar drove the parish bus arround one the morning schhol run..and would only allow those who had paid school fees to board the bus.

Remember the Old St Munchins that got flattened and redeveloped for high density housing.

There were a couple of housholds of Deans.....one family lived in Summerville St.... just up from the buss stop.

Cheers

oldboot
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
there were a couple of thompson families about....memory fading.....I had a malcom in my year...he played aussie rules in primary school.

Amazing how ya know patches of people in the streets.

cheers

PinHead
01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
prefer to actually forget about that dump of an area.

charleville
01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
y
A few "known" people grew up there..Terry Maskenroth just around the corner from us..

Mackenroth was in my class at school. I still remember his blocking the get-away path at school so I could not escape some ugly dude wanting to rearrange my face. ::)

There were three "Bruces" in my class. That was the era of the "Bruce".

I just drove down my late Mum's old street about ten minutes ago. Gee, there is sure some building going on down there. If only they knew what happens in that street in a flood.:-X

prefer to actually forget about that dump of an area.

I cannot comment about the Housing Commission areas but lots of the other parts of Carina are being redeveloped into quite nice units and town houses etc.

charleville
01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
The deens..lived in ..hell ..what is the street? Indians..uncles are the deen brothers demolition mob.

Daniels Street.

The local gossip was always about the old man having two wives there. ::)

oldboot
01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Ahh the it wont be a dump much longer.....the renovators are well and truly active in the area.

It is now considered prime real estate...those old pine housing commission houses are going for $350k to $400K.

not too far from the city, good public transport, choice of schools, close to shops

cheers