PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Boat Show

shrunken pojie
21-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi all,

Well its that time of year again, a time when we all get to dream and a luck few get to turn that dream in to reality with a good deal (hopefully).

Just wondering who is going and what are you looking at/for?

I am heading in on Friday afternoon and looking for a new GPS.

Phill

Rhinoc
21-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I'll be heading up as I always do (maybe Friday) - not for anything particular. Just for the usual dreaming and to see who's who in the zoo for the year.

Rhino...

=Wookie=
21-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I am after a new Sounder and GPS. First time to the show.

Scott Mitchell
21-08-2010, 12:53 PM
We'll be on The Haines Group stand with our 485SF for the whole show - 1st time there for us as well , so call past & say G'day.We'll have our Lowrance units on the boat as well for any one interested in those too .I think Gordo will have his 485 set up with the NEW touch screens Garmin's as well ;)

See ya's there - Scotto

madmackrel
21-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Dont for get guys and girls the brand new haines signiature 540f in the for sale section way under retail price unwanted prize must sell. you wont get a better deal anywhere.8-) 8-)
Cheers MM

PinHead
22-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I will be going but rarely anything to dream of there..the dreams start at the Sanctuary Cove boat show

Matt76
22-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm going outboard shopping hee hee

gr hilly
22-08-2010, 06:23 PM
We'll be on The Haines Group stand with our 485SF for the whole show - 1st time there for us as well , so call past & say G'day.We'll have our Lowrance units on the boat as well for any one interested in those too .I think Gordo will have his 485 set up with the NEW touch screens Garmin's as well ;)

See ya's there - Scotto 12 mths today john past away,one of the best boat builders in the world.still thinking of you mate.an old friend.
Hilly

Kero
22-08-2010, 06:30 PM
I'll probably head in on Friday. The wife says she's coming this year, although I'm not sure why. Maybe she's won the lotto and wants to surprise me :D , or maybe to check on any "unecessary" spending I may feel is needed :( .
If I bump into anyone I'll say g'day (I'll wear my Ausfish shirt).

charleville
22-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I shall go and spend a few hours at the fishing seminars which provide the best info to be had on fishing. They sure beat learning from magazine articles which are usually too short to be really useful.

Of course, Ausfish is a splendid source of info and is a very critical part of the learning mix for anglers but nothing is as good as seeing someone who really knows their stuff do a slide show presentation on techniques and locations.

("Well done!" to Bill Corten in anticipation. :D )

Almako
22-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Just going for a general look around. Maybe pick up a few ideas towards boat and rig set up. Not that i think i need it but you never know what you might see. If anything i'd like to pick up a couple of those cruise craft eskies but not for the price they normally go for.

Steeler
22-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm going outboard shopping hee hee

Talking to a dealer buddy the other day and he said Yami were doing some real sharp pricing in Sydney just recently.Certainly worth looking into there show pricing up there.

Steeler

Mister
22-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Won't be going, way to impersonal where it's held now, like a cattle pavilion, no class, no style, no atmosphere like it used to be at the RNA grounds.

Matt76
22-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Talking to a dealer buddy the other day and he said Yami were doing some real sharp pricing in Sydney just recently.Certainly worth looking into there show pricing up there.

Steeler

Thanks mate, I will check em out, they seem way more expensive than the others I have looked at but who knows what they will be doing at the show.

A dealer I spoke to friday said that suzuki's (140hp) were $500 off RRP, no groundbreaking saving there I wouldnt have thought.

I will be going with deposit in hand so we will see what bargains are to be had, if any.

PinHead
25-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Heading in there Thursday..be there at about midday..to pull faces at chief during his talk session.

Benno1
25-08-2010, 07:23 AM
The Benno's will be there...juuuust looking tho...at all the goodies on offer. Although last time we went we ended up with our current boat...so you never know :P
We'll be in our Ausfish shirts...say gday :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

kitty_cat
25-08-2010, 08:45 AM
i will be on the haines stand with scott for the weekend days
come and say hello and suss out any deals on the go ,haines will have some great specials on there boats this year definatly worth a look.

wayne

Angla
25-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Looking for a good deal on Bennetts M80EIC trim tabs kit.

Cheers
Chris

kitty_cat
25-08-2010, 09:06 AM
a little more on the boat show specials , this year the haines group will be personally handling the sale of the haines signatures and will be having some demo boats from the factory with very little hrs on them for sale as well not sure on discounts yet but iam sure it will be good .

see you there
wayne

samsnap
25-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Angla - I'll be there looking for TrimTabs as well - if you go before Sat Arvo Pm me your findings (cheeky arn't I :) ) Any idea who's selling them??

Cheers Sammy xx

Marlin_Mike
25-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I'll be there Saturday from about 12 noon on. Got a new 2nd hand boat coming soon so on the lookout for an epirb and a few other little things :)

Mike

timddo
25-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I'll be there Saturday from about 12 noon on. Got a new 2nd hand boat coming soon so on the lookout for an epirb and a few other little things :)

Mike

Whitworths has a sale on saturday, sunday 15% store wide

So epirbs $299 will be down to $254.

I paid $550 for mine:(

tropicrows
25-08-2010, 12:24 PM
not going to the boat show this year, but I am heading into Withworths for there 15% off sale.

Marlin_Mike
25-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Whitworths has a sale on saturday, sunday 15% store wide

So epirbs $299 will be down to $254.

I paid $550 for mine:(

It looks good to get one Tim. I got the Whitworths card about the sale in the mail eysterday. Will buy the epirb from them, but still going to the show just to have a look at everything. Spend a lazy few hours satdy arvo in there.

Mike

PinHead
26-08-2010, 02:41 PM
went along today..the usual culprits there..Whittley, Haines, Quintrex, CC etc etc etc..some other makes as well...all the usual ho hum stuff...nothing exciting in that lot...unless you are in the market for a boat I Guess.
Anyone wanna buy a 37' centre console ..3 x 300 hp verado on the bum..only 600k..not bad value at that if you like centre consoles.

Listened to chief's and T Morgans chin wags..both quite good.

Oh..the carpark was full..so I only stayed for about an hour and 3/4..had to park the ute in a 20 minute loading zone.

Marlin_Mike
26-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Typical of any trade show Greg. Just a way of bringing a heap of retailers under one roof.
Did you have a look at any tackle? Usual cheap retailers there flogging it?
Was the guy there that sells that mighty mighty little rod that lifts a bucket of lead or concrete or some REALLY REALLY HEAVY STUFF? And the little rod never breaks???????????????????
Anyway, I will blow a few hours there Saturday, no reason other than to look at stuff and listen to a couple of seminars

Mike

PinHead
26-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Typical of any trade show Greg. Just a way of bringing a heap of retailers under one roof.
Did you have a look at any tackle? Usual cheap retailers there flogging it?
Was the guy there that sells that mighty mighty little rod that lifts a bucket of lead or concrete or some REALLY REALLY HEAVY STUFF? And the little rod never breaks???????????????????
Anyway, I will blow a few hours there Saturday, no reason other than to look at stuff and listen to a couple of seminars

Mike

I did not look at any tackle Mike..don't need any.
There was a couple of places there selling it.

Luc
26-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I'll be there all day Sunday looking at either a sounder or a GPS.

No Ausfish shirt but will be wearing my ANSA Qld shirt.

Luc

Hell Boy
26-08-2010, 09:23 PM
man there is a lot of boats there, i was enjoying it:

until i got told to f*#k off by the owner of of a boat dealership when i was asking questions about the new line of boats they now keep in stock.

he claimed how it rode better than a deep vee boat and made less banging than a stabicraft. so i asked how that is, as i don't agree that a pontoon boat will ever be as comfortable in the slop than a deep vee. (i own a stabi, but am looking at bigger)

It's a shame for this dealer as i won't ever buy a boat from them and i can't believe as salesman would act like that.:o

but other than that it was a good show and some nice boats out there

charleville
26-08-2010, 09:37 PM
i got told to f*#k off by the owner of of a boat dealership when i was asking questions about the new line of boats they now keep in stock.

It's a shame for this dealer as i won't ever buy a boat from them and i can't believe as salesman would act like that.:o

Well, of course you know the question that we are all wanting to ask.

Hell Boy
26-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Well, of course you know the question that we are all wanting to ask.

True charleville, i didn't say who it was, but it is a yamaha dealership on the brisbane northside.

i'll emailing yamaha and the boat manufacturer tomorrow to explain how they can endorse a dealer that behaves like that. I've worked in sales, you don't swear at a customer!!!!!!!

bennykenny
27-08-2010, 07:29 AM
went yesterday and caught youngys talk on the broadwater and the chiefs talk on the brissy river both very informative, and the guy with the lure tank was pretty good too, my daughter managed to score a DF40 baby crank from the chief but she is only 9 months old so i guess ill have to show her how to use it, but she was very excited

tin can marlin
27-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I think we all know he is talking about Brisbane Yamaha and i have to say there is always two sides to a story and hopefully the person in questions can get on here and defend h themselve. It does not sound great but lets be careful before we put a dealership down that i have always found great to do business with. Cheers Mark

PinHead
27-08-2010, 08:49 AM
LOL TCM..I did not have any idea who he was talking about but looks like you have let the cat out of the bag.

Rhinoc
27-08-2010, 09:01 AM
until i got told to f*#k off by the owner of of a boat dealership when i was asking questions about the new line of boats they now keep in stock.

he claimed how it rode better than a deep vee boat and made less banging than a stabicraft. so i asked how that is, as i don't agree that a pontoon boat will ever be as comfortable in the slop than a deep vee. (i own a stabi, but am looking at bigger)

Hmmm, somehow I think there's more to this story (conversation) than you have revealed. You could write for the Courier Mail with sensationalism like that.

Sorry if I'm being to cynical.

Rhino...

on-one
27-08-2010, 10:16 AM
At least you you got someone to talk to you, most of the salespeople I saw were too busy talking amongst themselves to bother with customers

Hell Boy
27-08-2010, 11:15 AM
From most of the feed back from here a lot of people have had good service at this dealership, i don't want anyone to stop using them thats why i never named them and i don't want to put them down but i want answers why i got treated like this!!!

maybe he had a bad day and hasn't had any sleep due to the pressure of setting up for one of these shows.

I hope that they read this and tell me why he lost the plot!!! and then change the way they deal with customers, as we are the ones that ultimately keep them afloat by buying boats off them.

i am entitled to ask questions about the boat and why he claims it rides better than other boats. I don't believe i deserved the verbal spray i received from this person.

He wouldn't give me his name after his rant, but just claimed he own this business, if anyone knows this person, please let me know his name as i am going to follow this up further until i get an apology

Cheers,

Bryn

AnthonyL
27-08-2010, 01:53 PM
We went in last night and it was nice and quiet so we got a good look around. I found all salespeople happy to talk and answer questions, none were to busy to talk.

At the end of the evening we cut through Brisbane Yamaha and had a look at a Baysport 620. We were helped by Anthony and he spent a lot of time going through the boat with us even tho it had gone past closing time. The owner who I cant remember his name was very pleasant also dispite the late hour and that they had been on their feet all day.

We will be going back to the show to make a boat purchase, just have to finish doing all the sums and pin down which one is the most suitable.

Mike Delisser
27-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I picked up a couple of cheap rods for mates and grabbed one for myself as well. All Strudies were $70 bucks, inc the Softbods and the Hardbaits, I've seen them for $225 elswhere.

Also saw an incident Hell-Boy, a bit of a ruckuss on one of the ramps, don't know if it's your's though, are you in a wheelchair?

Cheers

Hell Boy
27-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I picked up a couple of cheap rods for mates and grabbed one for myself as well. All Strudies were $70 bucks, inc the Softbods and the Hardbaits, I've seen them for $225 elswhere.

Also saw an incident Hell-Boy, a bit of a ruckuss on one of the ramps, don't know if it's your's though, are you in a wheelchair?

Cheers

Yeah Mike that might of been me , although i don't know if i was near any of the ramps, i was looking at one of the pontoon boats near the yamaha motor stand.

did you hear it and if so, what were your thoughts? I've never been caught up in an incident like this before.

Well done on the Rods, didn't have time to go through the tackle deals.

vertico
27-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone going to the boatshow can you please record the greg lamprecht talk on catching reds at DI/Fraser which is on at 7pm ?
Its for a mate of mine and I cant make it
Thanks

Sean

Spaniard_King
27-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Bryn,

stick it to em :):):)

Verts.. I couldn't wait that long.. hope someone can relay some info on Gregs Talk also

Matt76
27-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Geez couldn't buy anything in there if you tried! No one seemed to want to do anything special to get my business. Oh well, I dont need outboard for a month or 2 anyway so will keep looking around. Some of the price differences between different dealers on the same product were quite shocking. I think the days of getting bargains at trade shows are long gone with the huge costs of putting together a trade stand.

shrunken pojie
27-08-2010, 10:18 PM

See ya's there - Scotto

Hi Scott,

It was good having a chat with you. I didn't introduce myself as an ausfisher but I am the guy who bought Lucky Phill's boat.

Your boat is one nice bit of kit and looks very well set up. I was especially impressed with the way you had mounted your outboard.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the show, even if I didn't find what I was looking for.

Phill

Scott Mitchell
28-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Scott,

It was good having a chat with you. I didn't introduce myself as an ausfisher but I am the guy who bought Lucky Phill's boat.

Your boat is one nice bit of kit and looks very well set up. I was especially impressed with the way you had mounted your outboard.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the show, even if I didn't find what I was looking for.

Phill

Phill - Thanks for calling in - I do recall you telling me your purcahsed Phills boat ;)

Should be a BIG weekend - Scotto

Scott Mitchell
01-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks to every one who called in to the Haines Group stand last weekend at the 50th Anniversary Brisbane Boat Show - it was a BIG 4 days !

Great putting a heap of new faces to names & the feedback on our boat was great 8-)

Can't wait to get "The Cure" back on the water now - Scotto

PinHead
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
if that was your first one then you have probably been to the next 5 also.

thelump
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
man there is a lot of boats there, i was enjoying it:

but other than that it was a good show and some nice boats out there

Had a similar experience with a fiery man from that place without the swearing though. He worked out a price on a boat I was looking at and asked me what I thought. I said i think its a bit expensive (hoping to get the haggling going) and he slammed his pen down and closed his book up and said there was no point going any further. I just smiled and got up and walked away. Not very smart salespeople eh:-?

charleville
01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
if that was your first one then you have probably been to the next 5 also.

That is so true!

I had intended going on the Sunday and listening to some of the fishing seminars but somehow, when the day came around and I had the choice of spending my day doing a bit of digging in the garden or going to the boat show, that comment of "same old, same old" that someone had written here, really resonated with me and made me say to myself that I probably could not bother with the hassle of the crowds and the same old content that we seem to see every year.

So I stayed home and spent all day digging in the garden and felt terrific for it afterwards.

I probably saved $50 in admission, parking and tucker by staying at home. There are never any special deals on tackle that would make up that expenditure and Whitworths always have a good sale to coincide with the boat shows so there is no need to expect exclusive specials at the boats shows in chandlery.

Likewise, if you do buy a boat there, often you have to wait months for it to be built because of the queue of orders from the boat shows. It would be better to buy midway between the boat shows. Price can be negotiated anytime unless there is a manufacturer's special on offer just for the show but am not sure how often that would happen.

Yup! "Same old, same old" content will kill off those shows if the organisers cannot get a bit creative. For the dreamers, boat shows are probably ok but if you get your escapism by doing "it" rather than dreaming about "it", then boat shows can get tedious after a while.

greenie61
01-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks to every one who called in to the Haines Group stand last weekend at the 50th Anniversary Brisbane Boat Show - it was a BIG 4 days !

Great putting a heap of new faces to names & the feedback on our boat was great 8-)

Can't wait to get "The Cure" back on the water now - Scotto

It was good to catch up in person Scott. I think i spent most of the day at the Haines stand with my mate who was pretty keen to buy.