PDA

View Full Version : Didn't expect to see that!

twobobs
20-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi there all,

Just thought I will share with you guys what I saw in the canal outside my place in Mermaid Waters/ Gold Coast on Thursday and to see if it was anything unusual?

I was down mucking about on my boat, standing in an elevated position above the water when out of the corner of my eye I see this dark shape moving through the water.It wasn't that big , about 300mm long,so my 1st thought was a mullet but this thing was moving too fast and eratically. It then swam into the shallows below me and that is whenI saw it was a small tuna of some description. It went away and came back again and I got a real good look to convince myself I wasn't seeing things, it was a tuna. It was chasing small baitfish in about .5m of clear water so visability wasn't a problem. I could even see its tail beating side to side flat out as tuna do.

Where I live I am about 4km from the Nerang river and then about another 10km to the seaway.

Is this unusual for a tuna to be so far up the canal system? and has any body else seen things where they don't belong.

Twobobs

Fish_gutz
20-08-2010, 01:12 PM
I would think it pretty unusual , but fish are funny things and different species turn up where you least expect them to be found. he might have been lost and hungry or just checking out the real estate!

gezzza
20-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I have heard from the local fish monger schools of tuna had entered the nerang river right up to the middle reaches but that was a few years ago.