PDA

View Full Version : Replacing hooks on Deep Water Jigs

some_fool
19-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Evevryone,

Trying a couple of Deep water jigs on the weekend. Bought a couple of Lucanus, Daiwa Bay rubbers and Banana Boat jigs.

The Banana boats seem to have heavy enough hooks on there, but the bayrubber/lucanus hooks are super small?????

Asked around at the local shops today if anyone knew of people who swap them over, but both suggested the tackle they came with was fine.

What does everyone else think?also does anyone know where you can buy the dacron from that the jig hooks are tied with?

Going to the banks in the next couple of days and don't want to underprepare.

Cheers
Michael

PlasticFantastic
19-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I know someone who uses the Lucanus jigs with alot of sucess and has land a 20kg GT on the 60gm Lucanus jig with standard hooks so i'm thinking they're pretty strong despite the size. Depends on the setup you're using and how strong a drag setting you use.

PlasticFantastic

banshee
19-08-2010, 07:43 PM
The hooks on these jigs are fine,the idea is for the fish to 'eat' it's way up the skirt.The ones on the Duell Salty rubbers are fine guage and small and have held jew to 10 kilos.The cord you are looking for is Marlin/Marlon (sp) kite cord,I got mine from Glascraft marine in Brisbane but have heard they may have closed.

metaloid
19-08-2010, 08:01 PM
also does anyone know where you can buy the dacron from that the jig hooks are tied with?I get mine from Plat http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/1822/cPath/30_414/fishing-line/ss-assist-line-no-25-130lb-20m.html

One spool will last you a long time, but beware, tying assist hooks is highly addictive!;D

diabolical
20-08-2010, 05:22 AM
The fine hooks seem to be designed to stay in the tail as it moves through the water. A heavier type jig hook would hang and maybe not hook up as well as the two light ones. Saying that I did change half the ones I took out with me last trip for a medium single assist hook swapped out of 200g knife jigs as backup just in case. A little bit fiddly but easy to do.

LostNearBribie
20-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Wellsey's on the Sunny Coast will have what you need if you want to make your own.
Gama and Owner make plenty of off the shelf assist hooks though.

Platitudinus
20-08-2010, 09:30 AM
The lucanus jigs (Sure Catch brand) I buy in Singapore have very fine hooks as well. Two problems here:
1. If you take off the rubber where the braid connects to the lure you will see a gap wide enough to worry you about how secure the hook end of the rig really is!
2. The fine hooks can get crushed by the bigger rock dwelling/feeding species i.e. snapper & cod if floatlining/bottom bashing but may well stay intact for kingies and the like if jigging.

I have now effectively replaced the original hooks with the equivalent of a double hook floatline leader rig that runs through the top eye on the lure, through the rubber/bottom eye and leaves two gamakatsu octopus hooks dangling in the skirt. In that way there are no disconnections betwen hook and main line. A bit fiddly to do but feel better having done it.

Hadn't thought of the hooks 'hanging down' as a problem yet but good thinking.

I fish mine on braid so the almost direct contact enables a small amount of rod action to give a large amount of lure action in 60-100m of water.

Cheers
Plato

Spot82
20-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Plato, any chance you can post up a pic of how you have re rigged them?? I use these quite a lot and have had the hooks straighten on a few fish, mainly in areas where the man in the grey suit is present and extra drag is applied to try get the fish to the boat quickly.

Thanks

Anthony

Platitudinus
20-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Anthony;
Try this - hope they enlarge OK. Lucanus jig is the 120gm size, but I have also done it to the 200gm deep water ones. Hooks are 7/0 gamakatsu octopus and I go down to 4/0's for the 55gm & 40gm lures
I have also attached the sure catch 'attach hooks' that cost around $4 a set in Singapore. Not sure how much they are here.
Cheers
Plato