PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for second hand motors

bugman
19-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Gents,

I've been looking around for about 6 months now for a 40-60hp four stroke motor.
Am I looking in the wrong places because I find buckleys.

Are they really that rare as rocking horse poo or are they sold before being advertised - or are they not being sold because people don't re-power once they have one????

It's not for me... it's going to Tassie and the owner doesn't want to shell out the $7-9k for a new one.

Any help appreciated.

Brett

PS I was hoping one of you cat boys would re-power with the new lightweight motors and be offloading the older four strokes. But then again you're cat owners and off course with your extra running costs you can't afford new motors:-X

Steeler
19-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Give Bills outboards a call on (02) 4936 1013 ask to speak to Bill,i am sure i seen a few when i was on the sponge for some bits the other week or PM Huey he may have something of interest.

Hope this helps

Steeler

rosco1974
19-08-2010, 06:14 PM
g'day
have u tried knp marine ....they are down the goldie and advertise in the trading post,he normally has a few in that hp range,bought a motor of them for my last boat an was easy to deal with
cheers rosco

frankgrimes
19-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Gents,

I've been looking around for about 6 months now for a 40-60hp four stroke motor.

Are they really that rare has rocking horse poo or are they sold before being advertised - or are they not being sold because people don't re-power once they have one????

It's not for me... it's going to Tassie and the owner doesn't want to shell out the $7-9k for a new one.

Any help appreciated.

Brett

PS I was hoping one of you cat boys would re-power with the new lightweight motors and be offloading the older four strokes. But then again you're cat owners and off course with your extra running costs you can't afford new motors:-X

Hey Brett - I had same prob - looking for a 50/60 4 banger...rang nearly every place within 500ks, and was told the same thing....there the most popular sized motor, and IF they come up, there sold immediately....I ended up finding one on trading post (~200ks away, and had to get a local mech. to check her out for me...when checked out ok, dragged the boat up there, and got engine bolted on)

Mick

Marlin_Mike
19-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I have bough 2 in the past from Wynnum Marine. Ring George and see what he's got in stock at the moment.

Mike

perko
19-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Give adrians marine in bundaberg a ring, he has alot of motors.

Heath
19-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Get hold of JB.... he might be interested in off loading his...

hsv 408
19-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Their is a yammy 60 tiller in the Ausfish classifieds.

wayno60
19-08-2010, 08:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YAMAHA-outboard-50HP-Tiller-steer-20-inch-leg-/140438607969?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/mercury-75-hp-outboard-motor-tinny-boat-/270622344299?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JOHNSON-40HP-40-HP-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-4-TINNY-BOAT-99C-N-R-/190432156041?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories

bugman
19-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I haven't looked that hard with dealers yet - just because of the price. Early 2000 models in the 60hp range are still going for $6-7k mark.

Was trying to find a private seller.

Wayno, I'm chasing 4 strokes.

Brett

murf
19-08-2010, 09:01 PM
been watching for one around the 90hp for Les who went to Fraser with us, very hard to come across, very few come up unless you are in the know

if you find out where to go let us all know (after you get yours of course) :)

cheers Murf

hinchy
20-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Gents,

Are they really that rare as rocking horse poo or are they sold before being advertised - or are they not being sold because people don't re-power once they have one????

Any help appreciated.

Brett

Hi Brett

Deegan Marine in Ulverstone Tassie have a 2004 50hp honda for sale for $5850.Worth a look,Website is deeganmarine.com.au

Kind Regards Hinchy

Maddac
20-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Try Keith at Jeffers Motor Sports northside Brisbane

Jarrah Jack
20-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi Brett

Deegan Marine in Ulverstone Tassie have a 2004 50hp honda for sale for $5850.Worth a look,Website is deeganmarine.com.au

Kind Regards Hinchy

I,ve dealt with them and was happy with the service. The shipping to the mainland was chucked in as well. You'll also get a written warranty if you ask nicely and insist. The motor may have been used in fresh water only like mine was, you just have to be careful , some of the west coast fresh is more corrosive than salt water.

bugman
23-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread.

I have contacted everyone suggested here plus quite a few others. In fact I rang people as far north as Weipa and as far south as Warrnambool.

I have managed to come up with a few which could suit the purpose. So it's over to the guys in Tassie to make the final decision.

Funnily enough there are some variances in price and guess it's the same old story - you get what you pay for. The decision now has to be made as to whether $7k for motor and fitting really does value to the old boat. I think I've sowed the seed in their mind that a whole new package might be the way to go.

Thanks again to everyone.

Brett

Smithy
24-08-2010, 09:26 AM
I'd always give Gav from Victory Parts on the Sunshine Coast a call. He seems to know which pro is swapping motors and when and is the go to man here for what's what.

(07) 5456-2477

SeaHunt
24-08-2010, 10:34 AM
SO what would my 2003 60 HP EFI 4 st. Merc with 320 hours on it be worth I wonder?
Maybe going up to a new 70 Yammie or ETEC would not be as expensive as I was thinking...