PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofield - 6.6 to 7.3m

loozitt
19-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for information / comments on Hydrofield boats, I am considering purchasing a minimum 6.6m but more inclined to go for something over 7m. I'm chasing, website, reports, weights boat test etc. I am currnetly running a 6.35m haines, and was wondering what comparisons to a tri hull.

I know they are built in NSW, but a bit far to travel, to veiw. I have checked there website, but not alot of photos available.

Does any one own a 7 plus meter Hydrofeild, and do they tackle the open ocean. What sort of weights loaded on a trailer, and what sort of donks are required. Happy to have comments from any Hyg owners, on performance.

I'm in the brissy area, and would aprreciate veiwing a 7 metere Hydrofield, if any one has one!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

wiz
19-08-2010, 01:44 PM
PM business class I am sure he can offer you some advice

Noelm
19-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Are they still made?

loozitt
19-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah mate,

Still made, down in Glouster, NSW

coucho
19-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Loozit I have a mate who just sold one.I think his was a 6.6 hard top he loved it I been on it before was a nice boat.He used it to chase marlin on the shelf mostly out of crowdy.
Traveled well did have a fairly wet deck on the drift. he had a 140 suk on his was a little under powered
all up on the trailer not much change out of 3 ton from memory but i will ask him to confirm that if he ever answers the phone!!

gofishin
19-08-2010, 09:30 PM
..I'm in the brissy area, and would aprreciate veiwing a 7 metere Hydrofield, if any one has one!!!!!!!!!

Thanks There is a hardtop 27 (I think, otherwise it is a 30/1) on the hardstand at MBTBC (Manly), it might even have a 4 sale sign on it I think, but haven't really taken much notice.

Did maybe 250-300hrs in a mates Hydro Jaguar 27, from 81/82 (when new) thru to 88 or so. This one was built extra heavy, with long range tanks and live-aboard comforts and was about 4t on the water fully loaded. They are narrow, but very stable, and very wet. Did I say wet? Otherwise, great boat. This one started with a 350 + hamilton jet, then a 165hp diesel duoprop, then later a 200 diesel DP when they came out. This one was no racer, but a solid steady boat that is still going strong today.

Not sure if this size is still available, but I believe there were a few improvements made to this model in the bow, making them not so wet.
cheers
Brendon

Wet Work
19-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Go the 6.6m. I dont know what the next size up from 6.6 is. I used to fish out of a cousins 7m but it was an older hull, not like the newer ones with side cutaways and stepped centre hull. It was still an excellent boat. Super stable didnt notice that it was a wet boat it was certainly drier than a 18' shark cat that i owned for a while. power was a 175 merc optimax. Flat out was about 35kts but cruised nicely ~20kts. i would have liked more power but it wasnt underpowered.

I also owned a 5.6 hydro with 2x50hp. That was a 1991 hull and it was amazing. Slow with only 2x50 but would still plane on 1 motor with 3 guys in it and still do 19kts! Amazing low speed planing ability.

I have worked as deckhand for ab divers in Tassie in 6m edencraft (haines v19r) and formula 233 boats. Both are excellent hulls and i guess a 635 haines is pretty good too. Length for length though i would rather be in a hydrofield.

From memory a current model 6.6 on trailer is ~2t depending on motor(s) and how much stuff you have in it. My cousins 7m was 2.5t. A 635 haines would be ~2t as well so if you can tow that comfortably a 6.6 hydro will be not much different.

F&B and Trailerboat fisherman have done tests on 5-6.6m hydros in past few years. Might be available on their websites. Just had a quick look at seamedia.com.au (F&B) but they dont list the tests. If you ask nicely i might still have the print issue of F&B that had the 6.6 test in it and i could scan and email you a copy.

julian1
20-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Go the 6.6m. I dont know what the next size up from 6.6 is. I used to fish out of a cousins 7m but it was an older hull, not like the newer ones with side cutaways and stepped centre hull. It was still an excellent boat. Super stable didnt notice that it was a wet boat it was certainly drier than a 18' shark cat that i owned for a while. power was a 175 merc optimax. Flat out was about 35kts but cruised nicely ~20kts. i would have liked more power but it wasnt underpowered.

I also owned a 5.6 hydro with 2x50hp. That was a 1991 hull and it was amazing. Slow with only 2x50 but would still plane on 1 motor with 3 guys in it and still do 19kts! Amazing low speed planing ability.

I have worked as deckhand for ab divers in Tassie in 6m edencraft (haines v19r) and formula 233 boats. Both are excellent hulls and i guess a 635 haines is pretty good too. Length for length though i would rather be in a hydrofield.

From memory a current model 6.6 on trailer is ~2t depending on motor(s) and how much stuff you have in it. My cousins 7m was 2.5t. A 635 haines would be ~2t as well so if you can tow that comfortably a 6.6 hydro will be not much different.

F&B and Trailerboat fisherman have done tests on 5-6.6m hydros in past few years. Might be available on their websites. Just had a quick look at seamedia.com.au (F&B) but they dont list the tests. If you ask nicely i might still have the print issue of F&B that had the 6.6 test in it and i could scan and email you a copy.

how did the 560 Sharkcat compare to those other hulls you have worked out of ?

cheer's

Julian

johndeere
20-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I think the Hydrofields exel in choppy conditions but if you have a big swell they want to stay on the surface too much rather than cut through the waves like a deep V hull.

CCDrifter
23-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I agree with Wiz.
Pm Business Class, I had him fishing in my KC for the last week and he was talking all things Hydrofield, Mat does a lot of fishing in his Hydro and also completed a pretty darn good hull extension on it not long ago.

Nathan

business class
27-08-2010, 12:46 PM
The Hydro are around 2.5Ton trailer depending what engine you have. As for size of engine always go max horsepower as it makes the boat preform so much better. I have a 225 honda and top speed is around 75 to 77km per hour and cruise on 22kts easily. they handle the rough weather great but like any boat they have there pro's and cons. In a head on Sea a mono Will ride better as they can tab down and punch through it, but a following or side on sea is where they come in to there own. As for a wet boat, i couldnt tell you as i have water tight Clears;D as should any boat that heads out in the ocean cause the ocean always wins ;) . Overall there a great boat we fish 65 to 70km offshore alot and its got very wild out there and we still feel safe, its only when u start to loose sight of the flybridges that are towing near you, inbetween the swells do u sometimes ask your self why ur out still towing lures and not in bed lol. but overall there a great boat.

Our boat is now around the 6.8 hull length. We did a complete re ferb and a hull extension, its made for fishing only. look up hydro extension and you will see what we did. But if u need some pictures or any other info send me a message and we can sort something out even if u wish to go for a run. where actually looking to do it again:o i guess where a sucker for punishment, next time i want 400 ltrs of fuel ;D for the trips away.

Cheers
Matty

rocklobster
27-08-2010, 09:04 PM
There is an 8 meter with twin 150 Yamys on it for sale in Rockhampton for 130 k i am told . Ring Blue fin sports on 0749222211 .

Wet Work
28-08-2010, 03:57 AM
how did the 560 Sharkcat compare to those other hulls you have worked out of ?

cheer's

Julian

The cat was a really good boat. Super stable of course and great in rough water as long as you can keep it planing cleanly (~15kts with any sort of load in it). I did a little bit of deckie work in 18'cat and they get very jiggly at rest. Dont know what else to call it but it is a lot different to a deep v mono. Using motors in opposite gears and turn using revs with out using the wheel is good (as long as your props are fairly efficient in reverse). I also did some deckie work in a 23' shark cat and that wasnt as good as the 18' when you were working but better in most conditions than the 18' when travelling

v19r/edencraft 6m are not very stable compared to cat at rest. They roll around a bit. Still very easy to turn, especially when you have 200kg of abs in the bow as it drops the bow down into the water and it acts like a pivot point. Excellent rough water ability. The 6m i deckied in had 2x150hp merc optimax. With the half pod it suffered a lot from being bum heavy but if you needed some power to spin it around or push into a break it had heaps. I spent some time in a 6m with 225hp 4str yammy. Much better balance and a easier for low speed turning etc. Not as good as the cat overall when travelling but still very good, especially with a good catch (500kg+) as the weight helped when punching through seabreeze on the way home.

Edencraft formula 233 is a simply awesome hull. Very unsteady at rest as even a small wave will get it rolling around. Much better with 400kg+ catch (or people) on board as the extra weight sits the boat down in the water and if most of the weight is forward it pivots on bow very well. It had 2x200 2str yammy. Nice power and didnt seem too back heavy (compared to the 6m with 2x150) but would be much better with full depth pod. These hulls are amazing. we had a couple of nasty trips, one on south coast if Tassie where we had a strong sea breeze from SE and we had ~15nm of Easterly travel before we could turn north and run with it a bit. Way too rough to go fast but kept a solid steady plane ~16-17kts without any problems. A couple of 23' cats went past us doing about 25kts+ but diver and deckies were getting smashed while we were comfortable.

That is the problem with cats. They are great until it gets too lumpy to keep going fast enough for the hulls to work. If you cant travel >20kts they suck. In the formula and to a lesser extent the 6m if you cant travel at regular cruise speed (25 kts +) you can plane cleanly to ~15 kts and travel quite comfortably and safely.

With a hydrofield, and especially the later models with the stepped centre hull you really do get the best of both worlds. Cat like stability at rest (great when wife and kids in the boat), cat like rough water performance but if it is too rough for normal cruise speed you can do a slow plane (as low as 12kts) and travel very comfortably like you can in a big mono. With a hydro you only need similar power to a mono or ~ 1/2-2/3 what you need on a cat for good performance.

My thoughts from ~10 yrs experience as an abalone diver and deckhand in Tasmania

business class
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
The cat was a really good boat. Super stable of course and great in rough water as long as you can keep it planing cleanly (~15kts with any sort of load in it). I did a little bit of deckie work in 18'cat and they get very jiggly at rest. Dont know what else to call it but it is a lot different to a deep v mono. Using motors in opposite gears and turn using revs with out using the wheel is good (as long as your props are fairly efficient in reverse). I also did some deckie work in a 23' shark cat and that wasnt as good as the 18' when you were working but better in most conditions than the 18' when travelling

v19r/edencraft 6m are not very stable compared to cat at rest. They roll around a bit. Still very easy to turn, especially when you have 200kg of abs in the bow as it drops the bow down into the water and it acts like a pivot point. Excellent rough water ability. The 6m i deckied in had 2x150hp merc optimax. With the half pod it suffered a lot from being bum heavy but if you needed some power to spin it around or push into a break it had heaps. I spent some time in a 6m with 225hp 4str yammy. Much better balance and a easier for low speed turning etc. Not as good as the cat overall when travelling but still very good, especially with a good catch (500kg+) as the weight helped when punching through seabreeze on the way home.

Edencraft formula 233 is a simply awesome hull. Very unsteady at rest as even a small wave will get it rolling around. Much better with 400kg+ catch (or people) on board as the extra weight sits the boat down in the water and if most of the weight is forward it pivots on bow very well. It had 2x200 2str yammy. Nice power and didnt seem too back heavy (compared to the 6m with 2x150) but would be much better with full depth pod. These hulls are amazing. we had a couple of nasty trips, one on south coast if Tassie where we had a strong sea breeze from SE and we had ~15nm of Easterly travel before we could turn north and run with it a bit. Way too rough to go fast but kept a solid steady plane ~16-17kts without any problems. A couple of 23' cats went past us doing about 25kts+ but diver and deckies were getting smashed while we were comfortable.

That is the problem with cats. They are great until it gets too lumpy to keep going fast enough for the hulls to work. If you cant travel >20kts they suck. In the formula and to a lesser extent the 6m if you cant travel at regular cruise speed (25 kts +) you can plane cleanly to ~15 kts and travel quite comfortably and safely.

With a hydrofield, and especially the later models with the stepped centre hull you really do get the best of both worlds. Cat like stability at rest (great when wife and kids in the boat), cat like rough water performance but if it is too rough for normal cruise speed you can do a slow plane (as low as 12kts) and travel very comfortably like you can in a big mono. With a hydro you only need similar power to a mono or ~ 1/2-2/3 what you need on a cat for good performance.

My thoughts from ~10 yrs experience as an abalone diver and deckhand in Tasmania

OK i disagree 100% with the hydro's needing 1/2 the power of a cat for good preformance. I have had a hydro with a reccomended HP engine and it preforms no way NEAR as good as what one does with a max horse power. (been there and done that and never again) They are very similar to the cat in many ways but have a centre hull which is obvious. However u still need to get the hulls up and working for a good ride, the more air under me the better i go. if u wanna do 12 or 15knots in a hydro and just cruise i hope u have good clears as u will get alot of water over the nose when u are travelling slow in a rough sea. I now have a 6.8 which was a 5.6 with a 225 and it goes great, i wouldnt and dont reccomend anyone to go just the rec horsepower on one of these boats, go max it will be alot better. these are just my thoughts - 6years experence owning and fishing out of one, extending and re designing one, boat builder bye trade and been in boating and fishing industry for last 10 years ;) ;D

The Multihull designs are great, they have there pros and cons, i dont know much about cats however i just finished fishing out of a 2400 Kevla cat with twin 140hp Zukes and the ride was aweome even in some crap weather, we come home when a front blowing i guess maybe 20knts with some good size swells here and there, doing i think lowest speed was 40ish km's and for the last 20km home we had it at around the 55 to 65km mark and it was a great ride, ive always wanted to see how the Kevla cat compares to the 6.6 in ride and it did not dissapoint one bit. The deeper tunnels in the KC makes it ride fantastic and stability is similar to the hydro but both boats are fantastic and since ive had a multi hull i would not go back to a mono in the same size.

Regards,
Mat

The Mouse
02-09-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9223709

CCDrifter
02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
OK i disagree 100% with the hydro's needing 1/2 the power of a cat for good preformance. I have had a hydro with a reccomended HP engine and it preforms no way NEAR as good as what one does with a max horse power. (been there and done that and never again) They are very similar to the cat in many ways but have a centre hull which is obvious. However u still need to get the hulls up and working for a good ride, the more air under me the better i go. if u wanna do 12 or 15knots in a hydro and just cruise i hope u have good clears as u will get alot of water over the nose when u are travelling slow in a rough sea. I now have a 6.8 which was a 5.6 with a 225 and it goes great, i wouldnt and dont reccomend anyone to go just the rec horsepower on one of these boats, go max it will be alot better. these are just my thoughts - 6years experence owning and fishing out of one, extending and re designing one, boat builder bye trade and been in boating and fishing industry for last 10 years ;) ;D

The Multihull designs are great, they have there pros and cons, i dont know much about cats however i just finished fishing out of a 2400 Kevla cat with twin 140hp Zukes and the ride was aweome even in some crap weather, we come home when a front blowing i guess maybe 20knts with some good size swells here and there, doing i think lowest speed was 40ish km's and for the last 20km home we had it at around the 55 to 65km mark and it was a great ride, ive always wanted to see how the Kevla cat compares to the 6.6 in ride and it did not dissapoint one bit. The deeper tunnels in the KC makes it ride fantastic and stability is similar to the hydro but both boats are fantastic and since ive had a multi hull i would not go back to a mono in the same size.

Regards,
Mat

2 is better than three Matty...

business class
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
[quote=CCDrifter;1202358]2 is better than three Matty...[/quote

At least my boat knows it a tri hull, ur boat is wanting to become a trihull, its even growing that 3rd hull inbetween the 2 ;) . Maybe urs is a cross breed Kevlafield ;D

trueblue
03-09-2010, 11:39 PM
definitely maximum power is required. hydrofields that are underpowered (ie with less than maximum HP ) are dogs.

Wet Work
19-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I certainly will not dispute hydofields with max power are better than ones with mid range power. I was making the point that my 5.6 with 2x50hp had similar performance to my 18' sharkie with 2x90. It was good performance but It would have been heaps better if i had the 2x90 on the hydro in the same way that my cat was much better with 2x135 on it.

If i was repowering any boat with outboards i would always go for max power.

QF3 MROCP
20-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for information / comments on Hydrofield boats, I am considering purchasing a minimum 6.6m but more inclined to go for something over 7m. I'm chasing, website, reports, weights boat test etc. I am currnetly running a 6.35m haines, and was wondering what comparisons to a tri hull.

I know they are built in NSW, but a bit far to travel, to veiw. I have checked there website, but not alot of photos available.

Does any one own a 7 plus meter Hydrofeild, and do they tackle the open ocean. What sort of weights loaded on a trailer, and what sort of donks are required. Happy to have comments from any Hyg owners, on performance.

I'm in the brissy area, and would aprreciate veiwing a 7 metere Hydrofield, if any one has one!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

QF3 has one on the water as a rescue vessel..

2 X 150 Hp Yamaha Outboard
Equipment - GPS, Sounder, VHF & 27 MHz. Marine Radio

If you are wanting a look at it, give the base a call and ask for the Commander - Col Ward to give you a call. He may even sell it to you so we can fund another replacement upgrade..

I'll send him a link to this thread.

burkeandwills
21-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at the Hydrofield too like the one below it is a 24ft and cheap

www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9203759&__Nne=5&__N=604 896 &silo=1408&seot=1&intref=sr-bnbis-results-stock

As I am based in Fiji with seas frequently 2-3m so a Catamaran is a better choice, I go out with a Mate on his 2670 Glacier bay with F150, initially I hated it though once I got used to the rock and started driving it hard I have learnt to love it. The Down side is my family hate how it rocks side to side. When I move back to Melbourne next year I plan to buy a Hydrofield as I expect all cats will rock (maybe a planning Cat will not rock as much) and I don't expect to go out in 2-3m seas all the time. Cats are also typically more expensive to run the 2670 at 30mph cruise uses 63lph.

I am thinking with either a 6.6m or 7.25m Hydro you will find below

1. Comfort in 1-2m seas (Yes the Cats can go faster in 2-4m seas)
2. Stable at rest and ride (Might have to Zig Zag a big head sea)
3. Crusie at 30mph with Economy sub 50lph
4. Easy Trailer launching
5. Sub 50k in total cost with 4 strokes
6. Less rock and roll at rest or on the way compared to a Cat
7. Heavy to tow around 3.5 ton inc Trailer (6.6m will be closer to 3 ton)
8. Very Rough inside finish compared to Monos or USA Cats

If I was going to buy this 24ft I would be re-powering with a single 300HP Suzuki (you can source from USA cheaply and I love the drive by wire option and their lean burn technology) prop it with a 4 blade Pro Tech (Love their Props) add a SE Sport/Permatrim (I Love Foils) and add a small Aux for safety factor. I would also cut away the side hulls as per later design to improve turns.

You could even leave the Yamaha 140 two strokes on (really only 130HP even Yamaha had to de-rate them due to under power issue) though cruise will be lower and fuel usage higher than I would like. I am a rev head and would probably try and put a single 350hp on it!

Just my 2 cents worth anyway! 8-)

Regards

David