PDA

View Full Version : Placement Of Transducer

Seahorse
18-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Iam Having Lots Of Trouble Reading Sounder At Higher End Speeds, 20-25knots.
Wont Read Bottom And Depth Readings Are All Over The Place.
Also When Iam Drifting Around The Depth Readings Sometimes Go All Haywire.
With Its Current Position It Sprays Water All Over Motor.
I Bought A Shield And Dont Know If This Is Not On Right.
To Small, To Close To Tranducer/
Really Pissing Me Off.
New Sounder Originally Fitted By Stones Corner Marine.
Can Someone Help Me?

Cheers
Greg
I Have Attached Few Pics

STUIE63
18-08-2010, 03:30 PM
the tranny has to be in the middle between the strakes not partly behind one strake to me it looks like it could be deep enough
Stuie

nigelr
18-08-2010, 03:51 PM
If it's a humminbird tranny, will need to be deeper. Mine was pretty finicky, but I eventually got it right.
Ditto what Stuie said re between strakes.
Shield must be too small if still getting a jet of spray on outboard, although worth a try seeing if you can get it any closer to the tranny.
Good luck with it, can be darn frustrating.

Micadogs
18-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Seahorse, Ditto what the other two said. Also is the trannny parallel with ground (flat, level gorund). It may just be the pictures but it looks like it is slightly tilted (RHS looks higher than LHS). This may also be an issue, instead of the sonar going down and bouncing straight back up, if tilted it will go down on an angle and not bounce back to be received again. That would also account for readings being all over the place.

Regards Adam

Seahorse
18-08-2010, 04:18 PM
There Is Not Spray With Cover On.
There Just Seems To Be A Lot Of Spray Around Transduer.
I Thought All The Extra Turbulents May Cause A Prob, When Water Hits Plate And Goes Back Down Towards Transducer.
I Will Move It Over To The Middle First And Then Drop It If That Doesnt Work.

Cheers
Greg

dreemon
18-08-2010, 05:07 PM
To find the best spot, with the ducer off, get on the plane and look for the cleanest water mark it and try there also drop the rear of the ducer so it faces foward a bit. I have a new garmon 451s and it wasn't reading properly (when new) and they didn't know if the prob was head unit or tranny so they sent me back both new,

anouther thing is have the tranny wires opposite to all the other cables to avoid interference, one more thing when playing with it unplug the ducer when out of water they heat up and need water for cooling, good luck .

testlab
18-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Have a look at the diagrams and the comments in this thread.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showpost.php?p=1197755&postcount=15

Seahorse
18-08-2010, 05:52 PM
All good info for me to try.
thanks heaps for all ur help.

cheers
greg

Vitamin Sea
18-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Ditto and ditto to the above posts, I think that you are to close to the strakes and it needs to be a bit deeper.

Cheers

Escape with LG
18-08-2010, 09:28 PM
The spray u are getting is like a rooster tail caused by water jetting in that hole hummin bird have on there mount tightly wrap electrical tape around the hole to cover it and it will stop all your spray issues and u can get rid of that guard! I would move it over to the middle of the stakes like the manual says to and you should be fine!!! Oh and if u don't have the locking screw in it will obviously kick up at speed!! Sorry if I'm repeating what others said I didn't read the whole thread!!! Good luck but

Seahorse
19-08-2010, 02:26 PM
thanks Kluuuu.
I have moved it to the centre and dropped it a little.
Will hopfully test tomorrow somewhere.

Cheers
Greg

robfin
19-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey Seahorse, this thread is the reason I joined up today so g'day.

I have the exact same transducer and the exact same problem with the water spraying back over the motor and faulty readings at speed. I'll give kluuu's idea with the tape a go but I reckon it could be lower too. How do u get the panel that hides the screws that holds the ducer in place off. It was fitted to the boat when I bought so don't want to snap something off by being too heavy handed so any advise would be great.

Hope I don't highjack the thread but didn't think it was worth starting a new one.

Cheers.

nigelr
19-08-2010, 04:01 PM
This is for a Humminbird transom-mount transducer.
It is a hinge/pivot type arrangement, there are two moulded catches on the outer-facing piece which hold it in place when snapped downwards.
You can try jiggle the outer piece outwards and upwards, or use a lever to gently force the catch open from the bottom.
Obviously be careful, I actually filed the catches down a little to make the set-up a bit easier to open.
When you force the outer piece upwards the mounting screws become accessible.

robfin
19-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Bingo, got it. thanks nigelr!!

Seahorse
19-08-2010, 04:40 PM
i think u still need it to be bit hard to open otherwise it may pop open when motoring.
robfin, i too thought what kluuuu said about the gap between transducer and bracket.
i have now wrapped some cloth tape around it.
i have now moved it and with a bit of luck, i will go for a quick sqirt in morning for some testing.
the whole thing is so very annoying.
pay $000 and get this.
iam bit dissappointed in the boat yard as they fitted it and u would think they would know all this shit.
i will be telling them on first service.
what part of northside u at robfin.
i would like to thank everyone for their help.

cheers
greg

robfin
19-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Greg, can you let us know how it goes after your next test drive. I've taped mine up but haven't moved it yet. Mine was dealer fitted too but it looks like it's where I would have mounted it also. Just needs a little tinkering I guess.
I'm out Albany Creek way so hit the North and South Pine pretty hard when I can't get into the bay.

Rob

Seahorse
19-08-2010, 08:19 PM
i just cant seem to do anygood in the pine.
it just dosnt do it for me.
iam going to concentrate on reddy shallows and margate bit more.

cheers
greg

robfin
24-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey Greg, how did you go with your transucer? I took mine out for a run today all taped up and finally no more rooster tail. So thanks to all those who suggested such an easy fix.

Been catching heaps of flatties in the Pine of late... A few 55 cm plus models this month and heaps of 40-50 models in between. Boated a 47cm one this morning even with the wind. I like hitting Scarby reef more these days but only when there not too much wind.

Rob